Paradigm Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_R, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Luke_R

Luke_R Agent

I was thinking of getting the studio cc and the 40's or 60's up front, and was wondering if the mini monitors would be an okay match for surrounds in a 6.1 system.

2. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinkin' of gett 100's up front and leaving my mini's in the rear if I can't get the right deal on the studio 20's.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I wouldn't think twice about using mini's as surrounds. They're a great speaker and I almost feel like my Mini MK3s are under-utilized as back-surrounds in my system when matched up w/ 3SE MK3 surrounds/center, and 5SE MK3 mains. Luckily I was able to sell my Atom back surrounds for $165 and get my Mini MK3 surrounds for $105, so I got the best sound and made $$.

Either way, Mini's will definitely get the job done and 20's would be overkill unless you plan on doing alot of SACD or DVD-A listening.

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Oh yeah... you may want to see if you can find some older LCR-450s or Compact Monitors. The LCR-450s were predecessors to the studio line and use the same drivers in an MTM setup. The Compact Monitors use the same tweeter as the studio line and were the predecessors to the studio-20s. There's a pair of Compact Monitors on eBay right now @ $92 w/ less than 2 days left...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14996

Hope this helps.

5. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

I'm still using my atoms in the rear after I upgraded the fronts to studio60s and a studioCC and no problems so far.

6. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    The Ebay Link above may stay..... The person that posted is not selling his goods. It was just an FYI post...

7. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I was pretty sure it was ok to post an ebay link since I'm not the seller [​IMG] Thanks for the FYI.

8. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I am using Studio ADP's (Surround L & R) and MiniMonitors Surround Centers and studio 100's up front, and it sounds great to me. The minimonitors are great speakers and can hold their own against much more expensive speakers.