1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Moo, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Steve_Moo

Steve_Moo Stunt Coordinator

What would be a good match to use as my Surround Backs. I have Monitor 3's as my Mains, a CC-170 as my Center an I am going to buy the ADP-170's as my Surrounds(If I can find them). What should I go with as my Backs? I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX which has 7 channels at 100 watts per channel. I was thinking of Mini Monitors or Titans etc. Wasn't really sure of what was a good match to the ADP-170's thanks!!

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

For surrounds the Titans are more than enough, especially with all the other speakers you have from the Performance line.

3. DavidBelis

DavidBelis Agent

I also have a simialr question regarding toe rears.

How do the ADP rears (ie. the 170s) compare to, say, the Atoms?

Because at Paradigm's site, in the recommended system configurations, the rear speakers are always the ADPs (in the Performance line), whereas when I went to the store to price out a system, the sales clerk made no mention of the ADPs, rather he simply recommended the Atoms in back (to go with the Titans in front, a CC70, and a PDR 8.

So, what's the difference in quality (and in price) between, let's say ADP 170s and Atoms?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    ADPs are bipoles (dipoles? one or the other) Price for the ADPs are considerably more than the corresponding monopoles, since they are basically 2 sets of drivers in one cabinet. I believe the ADP170 would be just about 2x the price of Atoms. If you have a fairly large room that can handle ADPs, which should be beside the listener, then go with them. If you have a smaller room, or you cannot position the ADPs to give good front/rear dispersion, then I'd say opt for the Titans.

I am using Titans and a CC170 as surrounds with Monitor 5s up front, and it works great.

For your front stage, you should really be using the CC370.

5. Steve_Moo

I think I did not word my question right. I am going to go with the ADP-170 as my surrounds and I was looking for rec'd on what would be a good match on speakers to use as Surround Rears(7.1) to match the ADP-170's. I was thinking of the Titans or the Mini Monitors or anything else someone can rec'd.

Thanks

6. Andy Young

Andy Young Stunt Coordinator

I'd probably skip 7.1 (not supported by sound formats) and go with 6.1 (supported by at least DTS): buy a CC-370 to match your Monitor 3 mains and move the CC-170 back to your rear center channel. (CC-170 matches performance line speakers up to the Titan; CC-270 matches performance line from Focus through Legend; CC-370 matches monitor series.)

For 7.1, Titans will be enough as surrounds, as someone else said. Though I only saved $25, I went with Atoms for surround speakers due to the size -- Titans are fairly large.

The only issue I see is the use of dipoles as front surrounds (your ADP-170s) and direct speakers as rear surrounds. Would this sound funny? If I was buying 4 surround speakers, I think I'd buy the same driver design (4 ADPs or 4 direct).

Anyone with experience mixing speaker designs like this?

7. Steve_Moo

7.1 is supported by DD-EX and THX-EX, and also DTS-ES. I was wondering if anyone else kows anything on a good surround backs.. I was told by someone to use Dipoles as the Surrounds and go with 2 Bookshelves as the Backs in a 7.1 setup. Good advice or no? or should I keep the the Dipoles as surrounds and only go with a center back(6.1). My receiver puts out 7 channels at 100 watts so shouldn't I take advantage of the extra speaker in the back?

8. Andy Young

Andy Young Stunt Coordinator

By supported, I was referring to source material. I don't believe there are any 7.1 encoded movies or music sources. There are 6.1 encoded movies. Obviously, receivers have existed for several years that are able to employ various algorithms to derive 7.1 from non-7.1 source material.

My main point was similar to someone else -- if you're looking for a notable improvement, I'd worry less about adding more surround speakers and more about upgrading the center channel to CC-370. I thought the difference between CC-170 and CC-270 was pretty dramatic.

Good luck.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    6.1 and 7.1 are the same thing, only the number of speakers are different. The two channels in 7.1 are playing exactly the same thing as one in 6.1. If you don't have a large room, 7.1 will not be the biggest benefit.

For 7.1, in a LARGE room, bi/dipoles could be used for all the rear channels. The goal is dispersion, and too many speakers in a small room may not give you the best results (placement will be quite important).

I prefer monopoles as surrounds, but neither my current or previuous setups have been in rooms which lend themselves to good rear speaker placement for bi/dis.

10. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

11. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

Yes you can use the ADP 170's in the rears. My friend uses them with his Paradigm setup. I would make a move and get the CC-370 center forthe front and move that CC-170 to the rear center.[​IMG] This place carrys the ADP 170's. They are at the store though.
    www.6ave.com