What's new

Paradigm PW2200 v2 settings & Inputs/Outputs Suggestions (1 Viewer)

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi:

I recently replaced my Paradigm PDR 10 with a Paradigm PW 2200 version 2 (YEA, I KNOW....IT'S NOT AN SVS). I noticed, compared to the PDR 10, on the back of the PW 2200 there are some more settings and inputs and output options. The PDR 10 had a subwoofer level control and a subwoofer output frequency which I have a pretty good idea on what these dials do. The other dial is a sub/sat phase alignment control. My question is what does this do? I have played around with it, but, to me, I don’t notice any change.

I have the PW 2200 hooked up with an RCA cable running from the sub out on the receiver to the Low Level input on the sub (does the phase control have any effect when the sub is hooked up this way?). There are actually 2 RCA plugs (marked Right and Left) for the low level input; the Right is marked LFE-in/sub-in. I read somewhere you can use a Y adapter to use both RCA inputs on the plug; is this a good suggestion?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but I have one more. There are 2 RCA (left/right) outputs that are marked High Pass Output. What are these outputs used for? I also noticed that on the previous PW2200 version there were speaker level inputs/outputs. This new version does not have those inputs/outputs. Do the High Pass Output RCA jacks replace the speaker level inputs/outputs?

The receiver I am using is about 3 years old; a Sony STR-DE835, and the bass management is limited to setting the speakers to large and small. I have the mains set to large and the rest set to small (my mains and rears are identical and can extend down to 45 Hz). I was debating whether to set them all to small. There is no place to set the cross over frequency on this receiver. Anyway, any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers..John

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
1) phase adjusts to get in-phase with your mains. You want to set up a meter in your listening position, and spin it around (slowly of course) to find the spot where the meter reads loudest. 180 degrees from that it should read the lowest (out of phase).

2)It really doesn't matter, you don't need to use a y-adapter. Just plug in the RCA to either input, they get summed together to mono anyway.

3) That's so you can run the sub in between the mains, and it will take out the bass, reproduce the bass, and send the rest on to the speakers (thus passing only the high -freq portion)

4) Most of the time, you want to set everything to small, and then disable or turn up the sub crossover all the way. (this is for movies of course. Music is more complicated, and depends on what your receiver does with bass management.)

And don't be bashful because your sub is not an SVS. Paradigm makes nice subs, yours is no slouch.

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Chris. I noticed with your answer to the first point you mentioned a meter. I don't have one (yet); is there a "manual" way to adjust phase. The sub is in a rear right corner beside the couch about 12 feet away from the mains. I don't notice any change in sound when I adjust the phase control (it can be at 0 or 180 and I don't hear a difference). Would a reason be that the sub is relatively close to the mains and there is not phase problem?

Cheers..JOhn

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It's a very small change. You really have to sit down and try to listen for it. It's easier to see it with an spl meter.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Graham,
Congrats on the sub. I love mine. Mine is not a version 2 however.

I put my sub where I thought it sounded best and then had a friend sit in the "sweet spot", if you will, and played some bass heavy music. I slowly turned the phase control back and forth and had my friend signal when he heard the most bass. Meaning, where it wasn't being canceled by the phase issues. It takes a few times and it is very subtle as Chris W said. The manual I got with mine suggested this method.

On the splitter. I use one and it makes a difference to me. I always use one when helping set up friends systems and they have heard the differences too, but to each his own.

My sub has the speaker level high-pass option. I THINK on yours, to use the low level version you have, you would need pre-out main-ins on your reciever. As Chris W stated, the sub will send the high passed signal back to your receiver, but you would need to have main-ins.
If your familiar with their X-10, X-20, and X-30 boxes, I THINK it is the same thing, more or less. When using those however, you send the full signal from the pre-outs on your receiver or pre-amp to the X-30 and then it crosses over and then sends the signal back throught the main-ins on your receiver or pre-amp.
You might wanna consider an X-20. I think it would give you more flexible options for the crossover settings.
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...Unit_Specs.htm

I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks