Paradigm PW2200 or HSU VTF-2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Mar 26, 2002.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

Given a choice between the Paradigm PW2200 and the HSU VTF-2, which would you chose and why? Please only comment on these two subs.

2. Ken Leggatt

Ken Leggatt Stunt Coordinator

If you do a search for PW-2200 you will find that this is a fairly ongoing discussion on this board. I know the PW-2200 performs like a champ, I have one. For the money it is a steal if you live in Canada. In USD though I would probably go the SVS route.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

From Nousaine's list:

HSU RESEARCH VTF-2 - 107.1 / 20hz~93 / 25hz~99dB

Paradigm PW2200 - 108 / 20hz~84 / 25hz ~104dB (112.8dB peak)

4. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I have the PW-2200 and a good friend of mine has the VTF-2. I have to say both are very good subs and maybe I am biased toward the PW-2200 but I think the Paradigm is the better of the two. The Hsu can go very low and it moves a lot of air. But I don't feel the Hsu is as musical as the Paradigm. Maybe this has something to do with the room setting and preference but listening to my friends system, it's always painfully obvious where the sub is and where the bass is coming from. Whereas the PW-2200 works very well with my Reference 40s. Just my 2 cents.

5. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

I disagree with Michael on that point. I've auditioned both subs in my own home and I found that for HT use, they were both pretty much identical in performance. But for music, the Vtf-2 took the edge, it was a lot quicker in terms of pace, and it felt a lot tighter as well.

Cheers,

Mal

6. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I looked at both, but only auditioned the PW-2200, due to the fact I could not find somebody who owned one locally. Price wise, being in Canada, the PW-2200 was a easy decision, though I still wish I could try the HSU. I'm not sure about the American prices on both units though.

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I would go with the 2200, although both are excellent choices.

TV