What's new

Paradigm Pw-2200 vs SVS 20-39 pci??? (1 Viewer)

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
I am pretty sure those numbers Terry referenced are for the older CS driver. I think a PCI would "stomp a muddhole" in the Paradigm. If the Paradigm is considerably less expensive where you live, it may be worth considering anyway.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Terry, PW2200 is worth serious consideration if you are in Canada. But in the States the SVS is a significantly better deal.

And yes those TN numbers where with the original 20-39CS. The latest version would up the dB a few at pretty much every frequency.

Vaughan

Agent
Edwar,I am, of course being overly cautious, and have found from Tom Vonhandel that there will be sacrifices between the various different models,but whether the subwoofer looses clean output below and above it's tuning point with the respective models is still basically the same point in question, in achieving full reference would require very high output in the higher bass range as well as below, and "MAYBE" this sacrifice can determine if the sub is coasting along or choking along,there are quite a few dvd's that have this proditious output in those frequencies, eg. toystory,phatam menace,episode2,etc..I could name atleast 50 titles...but that would be insane.
Looking at the graph, it seems that they are pretty linear in frequency but to a point, which the + -3 db or so sacrifice claims the bottoming.I know that 3 or 4 16-46pci+ would probably give reference level between 16-20hz but what about 25-35hz which is where most bass is used,and above?This is why when someone can play a movie at reference level, and then watch Toy Story2 it bottom's(presumably) out.This is my point, as i used to concentrate to much on subsonic fs being to blame, when bass primarily concentrated at 35hz and above would pose no problem whatsoever.It boils down to which title you play, i would like to play "ALL" bassy titles at reference level without problems.....(this is of course in my dreams,..for now).Sorry for my ramblings and i'll take your advice with interest.;) :emoji_thumbsup:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I know that 3 or 4 16-46pci+ would probably give reference level between 16-20hz but what about 25-35hz which is where most bass is used,and above?
Vaughan:

If you get reference level SPL at 16-20 Hz with three 16-46 PC+, then you will also get reference level SPL at any frequencies above that point.

I think you are getting hung up on the overall SPL capabilities of the different enclosure sizes. Yes, the smaller enclosures are capable of playing a bit louder than the larger enclosures above their respective tuning points.

But all three of these models are dynamically stable across the entire frequency spectrum. Don't look at it like the 16-46 size enclosure craps out above 20 Hz - it doesn't.

Look at it this way - the 16-46 enclosure is capable of a linear SPL down to a lower frequency than the other two smaller enclosures. In exchange for this deeper extension, it cannot play quite as loud overall as its smaller brothers.

BUT because any SVS sub is dynamically stable across its entire frequency spectrum, once you've accumulated enough 16-46 size subs to cleanly and easily hit reference levels at 16-20 Hz, BELIEVE ME - you will easily be at reference levels at ALL frequencies above that point.

The 16-20 Hz range is BY FAR the hardest for any sub to play back clean at reference level, and is - without doubt - THE limiting factor in this equation. Above 20 Hz is a total cakewalk in comparison.

I can't explain it any clearer than that.

Ed

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
This is my second Paradigm sub , I tested B&W's Bostons and the Servo-15 all at my house. The PW-2200 blew em all away. For the room I had I guess the Servo was to big.. I would have loved to buy it but It didn't sound right in my basement.. I guess I need a ported sub, If you decide to get the PW-2200 you wont be disappointed at all I guarantee that

Users who are viewing this thread