What's new

Paradigm PW-2200 vs Servo-15 sub (1 Viewer)

Gruson

Second Unit
Hey all, I own the Paradigm PW-2200 and love it. I am thinking about adding another sub. It is going to be either another 2200 or a Servo 15.
Does anyone have any comparisons between these two subs?
I have heard that my 2200 can give the servo a run for it's money. But, if the servo can go louder and deeper than I will shell out the extra $$$ for it. If the 2200 is better overall than I will get another one.
Please let me know what you guys think or if you have done the comparisons on these two. Please do not recommend a SVS combo, I already tried that.
Thanks,
JW
------------------
Equipment:
Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV
Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
Paradigm PW2200
Paradigm Studio CC
CV LS-15s
CV LS-8s
Toshiba 6200 Progressive
Pioneer CLD704 LD
Aura Bass Shakers

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
I started with the PS-1200, then went to the PW2200. Big difference.
I then went from the PW2200 to the Servo 15. Not so big a difference.
I can tell that the Servo has more power, I mean it rumbles the glass on my fireplace which is located 22' away in a room with a concrete floor.
I went to the Servo, because I was able to do so for about $160 (the 2200 went bad and they couldn't get me a replacement so they upgraded me).
If I had to pay full price, I wouldn't have done it, and still wouldn't. The 2200 is a great sub for the money! You should be able to get 2 of them for around $1200.
PHIL

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I can't comment on the difference of the two...
But I do love my Servo's..Powerful and concussive when loaded in the corners..
------------------
Trevor
Link Removed
Equipment List updated
New digital pictures!
June 12,2001

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded from the 2200 to the Servo/15. There was very little if any difference for movies, but the Servo/15 is a much better sub for music. It blends seamlessly with my Studio 60 mains, the bass is tight and fast and never boomy, and its much less finicky about placement.
If music is your priority then I'd recommend the Servo/15, not as a second sub, but instead of the 2200. If all you're looking for is more dB, then get another 2200.
------------------

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Gruson,
My advice is go listen. Since its the same brand, the trade-up/trade-in option is a possibility? All I can say is its a different sub so go listen and see. I can't imagine the subs not working together ok just because they are different. Two different subs does sound a little complicated though.
Hey Wayne. Interesting to hear of fellow video/audiophiles in the GTA area. I'm going to Kennedy Hi-fi to pick up a Mirage BPS-400 on Wed if all goes well. What sort of equipment do you have? CD, DVD, LD, VCR, rcvr, speakers?
[Edited last by Chris PC on July 16, 2001 at 09:12 PM]

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I went from PS-1000 to PW-2500 to Servo-15. The Servo plays tighter and faster with the same depth, and is almost impossible to overload. The 2500 was too loose and floppy - the 2200 is a much better sub. Ultimately I think the main difference you will find is control. Trev refers to the Servo-15 being "concussive" - this IMO is why. It starts and stops very fast and you feel that physical blow. Connery's gunshots in The Rock (the final shootout) is a good example.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
I ended up purchasing a PW-2200 due to budget constraints. However when I demoed my Studio 100's in a HT environment the store only had a Servo 15 available at the time.
In any event, in Gladiator when Maximus gets ahold of the sword (before the great DTS-ES discrete demo "throw") and strikes the two gaurds..... I felt it. In my chest.
The servo 15 has a lot of percussive power that I just don't get out of my PW-2200. Don't get me wrong. I love my 2200, but I definately think that the Servo-15 is the better sub if the money is available.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Good thread. I've been eyeing a Servo-15 for a while, also being an owner of a PW-2200. I have no problem with the amount of bass my sub puts out, and I've heard that the Servo-15 has about the same amount of bass output, so no big improvement there. I'm really interested in the music performance. I wish I could listen to a Servo-15 so I wouldn't have to doubt people's assessment of this sub's musical performance, but all subs I've heard including my beloved PW-2200 have let me down in this department. So combined with the fact that I can't listen to one in person, you can see why I'm skeptical.
So knowing that I'm really picky about music bass, would you guys/gals recommend the Servo-15 for music? I don't mean recommend it over the PW-2200, because from previous posts I assume you would. I mean recommend it, period. Is it good enough to crossover with full-range mains at 80 Hz and play music bass solely from the sub? Is it tight and quick enough? Thanks for any info.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
So knowing that I'm really picky about music bass, would you guys/gals recommend the Servo-15 for music? I don't mean recommend it over the PW-2200, because from previous posts I assume you would. I mean recommend it, period. Is it good enough to crossover with full-range mains at 80 Hz and play music bass solely from the sub? Is it tight and quick enough?
To my ears the answer without reservation is yes.
But surely you can find somewhere to listen one. Its a lot to spend based on my opinion or that of anyone else's from an online forum.
------------------

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yohan,
I'd strongly recommend auditioning the Servo-15. IMO it beats out the majority of REL's offerings as a total package (musicality, dynamics, & extension). The one complaint I've heard from some people is its size (it's fairly large for a commercial design).
Greg

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned both. I'd agree that the 2200 can put out more dB, but that sure isn't a measure of accuracy or musical performance. Overall, the Servo/15 is a superior all round sub.
------------------

Martin Conley

Auditioning
I would definitely recommend the Servo-15 for music. I have a pair of Studio 40 mains and the Servo-15 sub. My home theater set-up sits in my great room and a major concern was that it needed to handle 2 channel music as well as 5.1 channel movies. (and the looks had to please the wife as well) The Studio 40's and Servo-15 are all in the real wood light cherry veneer which matches our Diamond Case TT-300 perfectly, thus pleasing the wife. The set-up really rocks on action movies like The Matrix and Gladiator. But the main point is that the sub is extremely musical for its size. I set-up my system using a Radio Shack sound meter and the sub blends perfectly with the mains. The performance on music (and movies) is breathtaking. When I want to rock this sub obliges, when I put on some bass heavy organ music the sub can hit the lowest notes at amazing sound levels, and when I want to listen to Sarah MacLachlan the sub never draws attention to itself. I listened to a number of other subs including other Paradigm subs but I am more than happy I parted with the extra dollars for the Servo-15.
Martin

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
I'd agree that the 2200 can put out more dB, but that sure isn't a measure of accuracy or musical performance.
Very true.. the Consumer Review Speaker tests for flatter Frequency Response and Higher SPL's leads to speakers which in common knowledge still sound as crap.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I've owned both. I'd agree that the 2200 can put out more dB, but that sure isn't a measure of accuracy or musical performance. Overall, the Servo/15 is a superior all round sub.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I am in a similar boat, only I have listened to both and like both subs. I currently have a PW2200, and adore it.
The PW2200 is in a lot of cases here at HTF, the first "REAL" sub some of us have bought. And when I say real, I mean a sub that makes such a difference compared to anything we have had before. A sub that does what a SUBWOOFER is made to do, LFE. I had a crappy Acoustic Profile sub before I bought the 2200, and all I can say is, night and day difference. So much louder, so much deeper, so much more controlled. The PW2200 is a downright awesome sub. The problem is, and I think some other owners can agree, is that we have become attached to our PW2200. It plays so well compared to others that we have owned or demoed that we are afraid to upgrade or buy a different sub. I bet, that as soon as most of you PW owners heard the Servo produces less dBs, you thought other wise of upgrading.
That is the sitch I am in.
I have thought about selling my PW2200 at the end of the summer and upgrading to a Servo 15 or SVS. I even have a perspective buyer. But I am so unconsciously attached to the goodness of the PW2200 that I am afraid of being disappointed. I know that I won't but there is still something stopping me from upgrading.
What I think us PW2200 owners and possible upgraders need is some side by side charts, and testimonies.
I still have trouble understanding that the Servo produces less dBs or SPLs or what ever. I have heard it and it is awesome. Could someone explain why it isn't as loud? I mean, if it is calibrated properly, wouldn't they produce the same SPLs except for that the Servo plays deeper and more controlled?
Please help us possible purchasers and upgraders???
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?
[Edited last by Ryan Peddle on July 17, 2001 at 04:23 PM]

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, thanks for your response. I confess that I had not looked through Tom's data, but was responding to the comment about the 2200 having more output.
Now that I've looked at the link, what I see listed on these two subs is the following:
Paradigm PW2200 - 107.4 / 20hz~91(112.8dB peak)
Paradigm Servo15 - 107.3 / 27hz
The measurement on the 2200 seems to be over a range of frequencies from 20 to 91 Hz, while the measurement for the Servo/15 is only shown for 27Hz. Maybe I still don't understand, but that doesn't seem to be apples to apples. What am I missing?
------------------
[Edited last by Wayne_T on July 17, 2001 at 04:56 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>The measurement on the 2200 seems to be over a range of frequencies from 20 to 91 Hz, while the measurement for the Servo/15 is only shown for 27Hz. Maybe I still don't understand, but that doesn't seem to be apples to apples. What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks