paradigm pw-2100 reviews?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ernie.bin, Dec 4, 2003.

1. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

anyone have any feedback on the paradigm pw-2100?

I had been eyeing the pw-2200, but the fact that I'll be apartment dwelling for the next 5 years made me weary of getting a sub that will keep the neighbors up. The physical size was imposing as well, but the smaller pw-2100 looks like it could replace my pdr-10 nicely.

I'm using studio60/cc/20 (all v.2) and the pdr-10 just doesn't seem to keep up.

anyone checked it out?

I live in canada, so an svs or hsu isn't quite the deal it could be for me. I think I've heard I could get the pw-2100 for $650CAD ($500US)

2. MichaelSLB

MichaelSLB Agent

Ernie,

I've got the 2200 and love it!

I've auditioned the 2100 and it's a very nice sub. It can't
    go quite as low as the 2200, but has A LOT of punch for
    it's small size. This thing will still shake your walls if
    you let it.

Get down to your local dealer for an audition [​IMG]

Michael

3. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

I have the PDR-10 and will upgrading as well. I think for the difference in cash there isn't much difference in performance. Not only that, but I'm sure the 2200 is huge because the 2100 is pretty big (bigger then the PDR-10, hehe)

As long as you get either one you'll be fine, they both use the 400 watt amp and same parts/design. The 2200 goes down to 18hz while the 2100 goes down to 22hz. The PDR-10 goes down to 27hz. So the jump to the 200 would be the most noticable, but at $950 or so (while the 2100 is $730) I
    think the 2100 will be fine for the money and size taken up.

4. ernie.bin

I phoned my dealer and he recommended a pw-2100 for my uses, so I went in and talked.

I took it home unheard (he'd let me return it if I were unhappy) for $700cad and he threw in a subwoofer cable (worth $45).

I tossed in final fantasy and I'm in shock how much bass this little thing puts out. I definitely do not need anything bigger for my uses. It's shaking the entire house, and can be heard downstairs easily (concrete construction) at my normal (lower than reference) listening levels.

I'll need a little more time to judge the quality of it, but it's sounding quite good so far. LOTR is next.

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Ernie,

You made an excellent choice. I've had my 2100 for the last couple months. I can only turn its volume up to 1/4 otherwise the house starts a shaken.. All this from a small sub(size wise). I got mine for $650CDN without the cable.

Kevin

6. ernie.bin

Does anyone else's PW-2200 or 2100 kinda fart when it turns on?

7. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

My PW-2200 doesn't. I have it set to auto-on and it works fine. Actually, it doesn't seem to ever turn off anyway. LOL.
    It never farts though, it just punches you in the chest, bounces off the wall and smacks you upside the head, sucks the air out of your lungs and says "You wuss, how come you don't even have me turned half way up? Now get ready to have your balls kicked, beyatch!" And then when I go to answer, it punches me in the chest again and kicks me right in the balls so hard that I puke on my balls and also on my ass. (If you don't understand, go here http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15038 ) [​IMG]

8. MichaelSLB

MichaelSLB Agent

Ernie,

I just upgraded from a Paradigm PW-2200 Version 1 to a
    Version 2, and while the V1 did NOT fart/pop when it turned
    on, the V2 DOES. It pops when it turns on *and* when it
    turns off.

I'm still beaking in the new V2 so I can't comment on the
    performance upgrade over the V1, but I think it will be
    quite significant with the extra power and the much better
    amp (Class D - 400 watts continuous, 1200 dynamic).

Anyhow...

To my underdstanding, this "pop" is quite a common trait in
    many subwoofers.

Hope that helps!

Michael

9. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I just bought a PW-2200 brand-new last week. Where does it say the version number, I can't see a version number anywhere on it.

10. ernie.bin

yeah, my pdr-10 would turn on quite smoothly, so the farting that my pw-2100 does when it does was a little unsettling.

It's not terribly loud or anything, but just seemed odd considering the more polite pdr-10's behaviour [​IMG]

11. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

12. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Do not mind cabreau.....I will take him to the doctor's tomorrow......[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

Hi:

I upgraded from a PDR-10 to a PW-2200 version 2 (wow was I missing some serious bass). I don't notice a "fart" when it turns on or off....but I do notice it gets very very hot to touch after a hour of operation. It hasn't over heated yet (had it since summer). I figure Paradigm did this so you would not have to go to the kitchen to pop up some popcorn during your favourite movie [​IMG] ....anyway, I wondered about the PW-2100 with the same amp as the PW-2200 it should be able to keep up to some of complex bass contained in todays DVDs......nice upgrade on your part Ernie..I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Cheers..John