What's new

Paradigm ps1000 vs 25-31PCi (1 Viewer)

aaron_dewitt

Agent
What do you think of this comparison. Will the SVS blow the other out of the water? Right now i have the ps1000 and i think it sounds really boomy. That it just goes loud and not very tight. I am not sure if it is my room accustics or the sub. What do you guys think? Would it be worth the upgrade? It will be matched with RF klipsch's on a denon 3802 reciever.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The sub is likely the culpritt, not the room. Most rooms can be dealt with by moving the sub. I'm sure you've tried that, and you can see the result - the charachteristic boom found in bandpass subs.

The 25-31 SV is virtually flat down to 25Hz .

It was a complete revelation for me. I still tweak things, and it only makes the couch jump higher.

Get one. Amaze your friends.

- C

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Go to your Paradigm dealer and compare the PS1000 to the PW2200. Then expect the 25-31 to be a little louder and cleaner than the PW2200.

aaron_dewitt

Agent
Thanks dustin, i think im going to go do that today. But when it comes to subplacement. How do i find the optimal location? The svs keeps on sounding like the thing to get. I wasn't going to upgrade my sub but i think it would do wonders.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Experiment with placement as much as you can. Go all around the room with it. I use a 20-39CS, so I bought 25 feet of 12ga and went all over the room with it.

In one spot It sounded great with music, with a slight bump between 40 and 60Hz, great for kick drums, but fell off fast below 40. (Adjusted Meter Readings)

That was over my right shoulder, at about 2/5 the way down the long wall.

When in the corner, behind the left main, the response smoothed out enough that I could then move the chair slightly forward or back to find the best place with nearly no compromises. Inches count!

This all took a couple of days, dozens of songs, a lot of meter / test tone work and several movies.

I still move it around to make sure it's in the optimal spot.

Some folks say to put the sub in the main listening position, and then move around the room to detect the strongest bass, and put the sub there. I've never tried it that way.

- C

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I previously owned a PS-1000 and now own an SVS 16-46PC. The PS-1000 is very boomy due to its bandpass design (especially with music). It is intended to "push a lot of air" for the price. The sacrifice is speed and accuracy. I was unhappy with that unit, but bought it with a set of other Paradigms before I knew how good some of the other options are. The SVS is on another level entirely. I've posted several comparisons between the two in the past (and there was another similar thread if you search). To summarize, the SVS will provide a *very* noticable difference.

Chris

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Agreed. I demoed the ps1200 and I own the Sony SA-wm40. They actually sound very similar. It is OK to have a somewhat boomy sub that pushes lots of air if you pay $150, but those 2 particular Paradigm subs cost too much for the relative lack of accuracy they deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks