What's new

Paradigm price increase (1 Viewer)

Shawn McCann

Auditioning
FYI, Paradigm's prices have just gone up.

I'm slowly upgrading the speakers in my home theater from Cambridge Soundworks to Paradigm. Last month I purchased the cc-470 for $600, and was quoted a price of $950 for the ADP-470 surrounds. Today when I ordered a pair of ADP-470 surrounds the price had changed to $970!

Apparently the prices were just raised by Paradigm in the last week. It will be 6 months before I can afford to upgrade my main speakers, and I hope there are no major increases in price between now and then! If I could afford it I'd buy everything now.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Maybe the dealer just charged you more? And you paid retail? You should get a minimum 5% off of that anyway. Next time haggle a little.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
always haggle. they are there to make a primo profit. threaten to go somewhere else and the tune will change. in this economy believe me they want to sell. I had one HT store get so angry at me cause I bought it from the guy down the street, it was like having a stalker GF really uncalled for. but he didnt have it in stock or even a demo to see if I like it. the guy down the road did and gave me a better price too. you snooze you lose is what I say to the store owner.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I may have gotten taken as well. Today I bought a CC-570 and Studio 20's for $1500+ with tax. I tried to haggle but never do very well. The package I was going to get included Studio 100's and was quoted $3846 including the 570 and 20's. MSRP supposedly was $4200+. I will get the 100's in a few weeks.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
The trick is to act like you don't need it right away and that you don't need to buy it from that particular store. Owners definitely don't like people that shop around so their initial offer on the price will be higher until they realize that you are ready to buy in which case you begin to drag down the price.

But yeah, if you go in all giddy about purchasing Paradigms, they'll stick firm w/ their price.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest finding a speaker in a similar price range that they don't carry and tell the saleman how impressed you were by them. Tell him you want to go take another listen to the other speakers one more time just to be sure. I would say there is a good chance they would be willing to deal at that point. I tend to buy everything but my socks off of the net so I have not tried this on speakers, but it sure worked in well purchasing automobiles.

Greg

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I remember when I bought my Monitor 7's V.3 rosewood :)

he wanted $700 for the pair and I said that was too much could he do better than that. he came down $100 right away and I bought them. I told him I would do $550 and he wouldn't budge but he knew I liked them. next time I wouldnt let me get the best of me(I wanted to listen to them over the weekend and it was friday, not open on weekends) so I bought them cause I wanted them that night for the weekend. next time I wouldn't do that. $600 was not bad but $550 would have been better. :)

Shawn McCann

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately there aren't any other Paradigm dealers nearby - this dealer is the only game in town.

However, they did give me 10% off without any haggling. Last week they sent me a thank you card for purchasing the cc-470, and included a coupon for 10% off my next purchase. So my price for the ADP-470s was $873.

The salesman told me I was the first one to use one of the coupons. I told him the coupon got me back in the store sooner than I had planned. Hopefully they'll send me another one which I can use in a few months when I purchase a pair of Studio 60s!

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I'm all for getting a good deal too. But sometimes trying to squeeze the last penny out (or $50) out of a deal when you are spending several hundred dollars anyway isn't the best idea.
A month from now, that $50 you saved will be long gone anyway, what if you haggled the price down until the dealer made almost no profit on the sale. To me, it's worth a little bit to have a healthy business to go back to for service, advice, auditions, etc. than it is to save that last dollar. Besides, if you work a deal that makes both parties happy, you will be welcomed back and given extra time and service each time you go into that store. But if you get a reputation for being hard to deal with and don't leave them a reasonable profit, they won't like to see you coming in.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not rolling in money either, but I know that whether I spend it with them or on pizza, I'll spend it somewhere. So why not do my part to keep the doors open and have a good relationship with your local dealer.

Just my $.02.

Steve

Asalante

Agent
I just recently was quoted $3000 for a pair of monitor 11's a cc-370, a pair of adp-370's, and the pw-2200. Dunno if thats close to the average or overpriced. But they claimed to be able to skip adding tax. 7.5% Sooo yeah we shall see what they can do. I'm also in the same position, where the next closest placeto buy is over 150mi. away :frowning:

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
i was spoiled by my dealer offering ~25% discounts without any hassle. shopping for other brands / at other stores isn't as satisfying these days.

his trap worked :)

Drew_W

Screenwriter

When I was looking for my Rotel amp, I was all giddy about getting one, but I didn't let it show. Instead I played "budget conscious HT freak" and deliberately looked at the model(s) below the one I actually wanted, letting the salesperson talk me up to the one I actually wanted. *insert the fake agony and all the hmms and hmms of can I really afford to spend more than my budget here*. Walked out with a 16% discount. The markup is more on speakers, so you should be able to do better there. And if possible, pay cash. Cash or an equivalent (i.e. NOT CREDIT) opens up more room to negotiate since the dealer then doesn't have to pay credit card company surcharges (2% or so).

My first time at this dealer, but they've got me hooked in now. There are tons of Paradigm dealers around here. Play them off against each other, see who wins. Remember, they're competeing for YOUR business.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently in the hunt for a Paradigm setup as well. A couple of weeks ago I visited a local retailer.

When I first walked in I simply asked if he had any Paradigm Atom speakers I could demo. While he was setting it all up I strolled around the demo room taking a look at everything in there. Conversing about how impressive some of it was (Paradigm Reference...) with my brother.

After a god demo of the speakers I explained to him that I am planning to buy a 5.1 setup sometime in the near future, and that my budget was around 2grand. His eyes sorta lit up, and he immediately took me more serious. He said, "Come with me and let me see what kind of speakers I can squeeze into that budget."

So we walked over to his desk where he pulled out a Paradigm catalog and started crunching numbers. He upgraded the system from some Titans and Atoms to Monitor 5's in the front, Mini Monitors in the rear, a CC370 center and a PDR 12 woofer. The price he quoted was $2300 CAD (with tax included), speaker stands included. An immediate 20% discount, no haggling. I thanked him and explained a little more about my Home Theater plans, eventually dropping the whole 10g budget on him. He started talking about deals he could get me on projectors and such. Finally gave me his card and told me to call him when I start building it.

From that experience, I learned that it is not so much how you haggle, but how you approach the situation. Ease into it, slowly revealing what you are looking for and what kind of money you are dealing with. At least it worked for me.

:)

Peter_D

Agent
Any store should give you 10 to 15% off. Give them enough busniess and you can get even more off on some stores.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I am looking to replace my Infinity Interlude speaker set with a set of Paradigms but what price should I be looking at realistically?

Studio 40's up Front (replacing larger IL-60's and I want something smaller this time).
CC-570 Center
Studio 20's Rear

I am willing to drive up to Canada if anyone knows dealers worth going to. I would be coming from Approx Indianapolis IN.

Anyone looked at the Paradigm Signature Series lately? What a sweet looking speaker but damn the prices I have been getting quoted are out of this world especially for paradigm.

KyleS

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I listened to the S8's about month ago..........damn they are phenomenal speakers and completely out of my price range three times over. I'd say $2550 would be a fair price for the speakers you want, that would be 10% off retail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks