Paradigm, Pioneer and amp. Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry_Heise, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Henry_Heise

Henry_Heise Auditioning

I need some help and some explanation about a couple of things. I have been involved in home theater for years on a basic level but am learning a great deal from everyone here on HTF. The concept of using a receiver as a pre-amp had never occurred to me but seems to be a pretty common practice.
    First I have these speakers- Paradigm monitor 9's, cc350 center and ADP350 surrounds with a pw-2200 sub. I am looking at a new receiver and trying to get the most for my money. My local stereo shop recommends the Pioneer vsx-47tx which seems to be a great receiver but the price is about $2000.00. I was wondering if I would be better off going with a vsx-45tx for less money and spending more to purchase a good 2 channel amp to run the mains. I have never seen this done before. How do you hood up the amp to a receiver? If I did go the receiver/amp route what would be a good amp to use. I want to set this up as a 7.1 system. This combo is 95% home theater used and would like to make an informed purchase. Thank you for your help and thanks for this great forum.
    [​IMG]

2. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I like both the 45 and 47. Saying that IMHO I like the idea of using a seperate 2 channel or even three channel amp for the mains and center and buying the 45.

One gentlemen that has posted here has an Acurus three channel amp and likes that combo well.

What you are requesting is easily done. Its just like running the cable to your sub. You just run an audio cable (I don't know which one is best) from the preout on the back of the 45 to the main in on the amp.

I believe the 47 is THX Ultra 2. But, I have the 45 and its great!

But, the 47Tx is very nice too. tough decision....

good Luck!

Mike

3. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

If your dealer is pricing out the 47TX for $2K then run away from them and find someone else. I could not see myself spending twice what I did spend for the added 30WPC and whatever additional benefits you may find useful.

That extra $1,000 could buy a fairly robust 200WPC stereo amp that would far exceed the 47TX's abilities.