Paradigm Phantoms

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew S, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I placed an ad at canuckaudiomart.ca looking for some budget speakers, and was offered a pair of Paradigm Phantoms with stands for $250 CDN. They're from 1997 and look to be great condition (based on the pictures). These are the 2-way 8inch woofer and 1" tweeter version.
    They would be replacing 10+ year old Sony towers [​IMG]
    Any comments? How's this deal look to anyone?
    I know it all comes down to me, but I thought I'd get some input from the members here.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

P.S. If the seller happens to read this, I'm not trying to doubt your asking price or anything, just wanna get some feedback on the Phantoms.

2. Andrew S

And also, to add, the alternative to the Phantoms would most likely be new/used Titans based on their reviews and cost.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Go for the upgrade. I'd go for either speaker. If you were buying new, I'd recommend mini-monitors or something a step up instead of the phantoms, but that seems like a good deal used. Are you sure they are Phantoms? I thought Phantoms were floorstanders with dual woofers..... Maybe they are older(were they ever bookshelves?)? Regardless, Paradigms are an absolute bargain at full MSRP, especially in Canada. Take a listen at a dealer if you can. You may find that if they have a trade-in policy, it may be of more value to buy new, than upgrade in a while, than to buy an older version used. I'm always a bit leery of buying speakers used, because I'm not willing to take the risk, but I know lots of people who get great deals on used stuff.

4. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Definitely! Go for them! Just the fact that they say Paradigm on them makes them awesome! Everyone on this board knows that if Paradigm made little speakers like those that come prepackaged with computer monitors (such as those from JBL, Polk, etc.), even those would still sound much better than all the other speaker company's top of the line models, just by having the name Paradigm on them.

5. Andrew S

Thanks for all the replies... I was also offered an almost new pair of Titans (not even broken in yet), for $150, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the phantoms depending on shipping.
    I'd still like to hear anyone's opinions who has heard the Phantoms though.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

the Phantom Bookshelfs were the next step up from the Titans before moving into the floorstanding speakers. They have been replaced by the Focus which is smaller, has the same woofer as the Titan but a 1" tweeter. The Phantoms have an 8" woofer and the same 1" tweeter as the Focus, CC-200, 250, 270, and Performance Series floorstanders.

I would go for the Phantoms... I was considering a pair from audiogon (also including stands) for $180 shipped before I decided to go with 3 matched 3SE MK3s in the front (the predecessors to the current Monitor 3s). I went with Titans on the sides and Atoms in the back. The Titans hold there own, even in 2ch, but if you plan on doing any music listening without a sub, the Phantoms will be a big step up from the Titans.

Hope this helps [​IMG]