What's new

Paradigm phantoms vs. B&W DM601 S2 (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,
Lately I have been shopping around for some new front speakers, their use will be mainly for music. I narrowed it down to two sets the paradigm phantoms and the B&W dm601 S2's. I personally like the sound of the paradigms a little better but I have not heard them with a CD I’m familiar with. I'm wondering what you guys think about these speakers or any personal opinions about how they sound. I think the main differences I found between the two speakers is the paradigms have a more relaxed sound than the B&W's but I can't say for sure because when I heard the paradigms I did not have a CD with me that I was familiar with. Also if you have any other speakers you think I should check out in the under $400 price range just let me know.
Ryan

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
I never heard those Paradigm, but the Studio ref 40 and good, as far as B&W goes 601 are very good for the price range. I have N805 in front and 601 S2 in the rear.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
We have similar tastes! A while ago I narrowed the selection down to those very same speakers. Then a great deal came along and I ended up with the Polk Audio setup I have now. It matches better, (as i couldn't afford all B&W) but for 2 ch. stereo those B&Ws would have rocked.
If you can give a listen to Aegis, specifically the Aegis One. They are under 400 and sound a lot like the 601s. AudioAsylum.com has some posts about them.
Good luck,
Jon

Ryan T

Second Unit
So you guys think the B&W speakers are better? Also does anyone know much about build quality in the two different speakers, I've heard the paradigms might not have the best construction but I’m not to sure about that. Also what about the tweeter in the B&W does anyone else think it is a little harsh sounding or is this just me? I guess I’m still leaning towards the paradigm speakers because #1 it think they sound a little better #2 I don’t have to buy stands #3 the paradigms are cheaper. I’m still open to getting the B&W’s but they would just cost a lot more and I’m not sure if it is worth it. Jon_R do you know if there are any audio stores that sell the aegis one speakers so I could listen to them?
Ryan

Greg_W

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned both of these speakers. I replaced my phantoms with the 601's. I found after a couple years that the 'relaxed sound' of the phantoms sounded too muddy to me, and that the brighter sounding 601s seemed more accurate. As for the build quality I would say these speakers are about equal, but the vinyl the 601s are covered in is more prone to damage than the paradigms. I would suggest that you go with the speaker that sounds best to you, but be sure to demo them with music you are familiar with.
Greg

Ryan T

Second Unit
What do you guys think of the paradigm mini-monitors better or worse than the phantoms also how would they compare to the B&W’s? Also Greg about the relaxed sound of the phantoms I guess the reason I like them is because almost every speaker I’ve listened to seems to have a bright tweeter. Whenever I listen to music where someone would say a word with the letter S or T it would hiss and it would drive me crazy. I know that they should produce some hiss because when you listen to people talk you can hear it to but I just seams really annoying in most speakers I hear. I was really pleased when I heard the phantoms because they did not annoy me when I listened to them. But until I can take some music along that I am familiar with I can’t be sure about the phantoms tweeter having the same thing. I think most the speaker I have heard that don’t annoy me are way to expensive unfortunately
Ryan
[Edited last by Ryan T on October 27, 2001 at 07:59 PM]

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I use B&W CDM 1SEs for mains and 601S2s for rears. The 601s are excellent for either HT or music. I've had my 601s for more than two years and I highly recommend them.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
For a small price difference (relitively), I bought Monitor 5's instead of Phantom's. *Much* better for music, more accurate, but of course, that's just my opinion.

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
i owned the phantoms before upgrading to studio20. when i bought the phantoms, i compared them with the minimonitor and ended up buying the phantoms because the minis are too bright for me. only problem with them is their bass is a bit muddy and loose but if you have a subwoofer and set them as small then this is not an issue.

Ryan T

Second Unit
How do you guys think the phantoms or the B&W's would sound paired up with a 3 cu. ft. sealed shiva? I have been looking around at different B&W speakers but I think the 601 S2's and the 303's are the only ones I could get from B&W. One other question I have is what about the to different companies paradigm vs. B&W is there something there know for in most there speakers like bright tweeters or muddy bass or something?
Ryan

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, speaker preference is a very subjective thing. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. Get the ones YOU like. All the ones you are looking at are good well made speakers so it comes down to personal preference. Also you do not have to "match" a sub to your speakers like you do by timber matching the center with the mains. Also, if you get a half decent sub you will get the best sound by setting all your speakers to small and letting the sub handle the bass so the bass capabilites of your mains is less a factor. Hope this helps.
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks