Paradigm Phantom Floorstanding Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I think I've decided that the next upgrade will be the mains, followed by my center channel...and sometime in the next year a new TV. Right now I'm in a small college apartment, and my HT room is 15"x9"x7.5". Since I'm only sitting about 7 feet away from my TV, I'm gonna stick with my small 27" Wega...I've been extremely happy with it. Lately though, I've been listening to a lot more music, and notice that my Energy Take 2 Fronts just aren't giving me the sound stage that I'd like. I've been casually looking at Floorstanding speaks the last few days, and noticed the Paradigm Phantoms this morning. They sounded really nice at the HT shop...and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Any info would be great...thx.

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I used to own a pair of phantoms before I upgraded to monitor series. I would recommend a better bookshelf like the mini monitors, or something from norh or axiom.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Do you guys know anything about the Axiom M22TiSe.

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Only what I've read on their website, but I think there are several links to reviews, which may or may not be valuable.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Kewl...I'll at least read the reviews.

Also...do you think these options are reasonable for a small room?

6. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I'd skip the Phantom's and move to.. Well, almost anything in the Monitor line. I do not know the price offhand, but you might be able to swing some Monitor 5's if your lucky, but even Mini's would be a step up in sound quality, and since it's a relitively small room, they should be more then liud enough (all in my opinion, obviously)

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Do you know if any places sell these online...so I can look at some pricing. I'd like to look at prices for both Paradigms and Axioms.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I was just thinking...is it normal to upgrade the center channel first? ...or should I do the mains. Right now I have a Take 1 for the center.

9. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Paradigm only sells their speakers through authorized retailers, so you won't find prices online. But to give you a reference point, I just bought a pair of Mini Monitors for $314. For a smaller room these should sound better than the Phantoms. Heck, I use them as fronts in my HT room, which is 16'w x 12'd and they have no problem at all. Anything in the Monitor line will be better than the Performace line. The 1" PTD tweeter gives the speakers a much flatter response. The 3/4" CMC lacks in the midrange and is a little harsh in the high end.

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Whatever I buy, I'll prolly go through Marc Hallam at Audioshop.on.ca ...because he has insanely good prices after the currency conversion.

I'm seriously looking at the Axiom M40Ti and M50Ti ... trying to figure out which one offers more benefits.

Thanx.