Paradigm Performance system questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm looking at putting together a system consisting of speakers from the Paradigm Performance Series line of speakers. I'm pretty much set on the Titans for the mains and the CC-170 for the center. I'm probably going to get Atoms for the side surrounds, but maybe Titans also, depending on what comes up on eBay and in the HT forum for sale section.

My question is this... would Micros be sufficient for the back surrounds to round out my 7.1 setup? Or would I need to go with another pair of Atoms?

Also, how well does the CC-170 voice match with the Esprits and Phantoms? Also, how well does the CC-270 match up w/ the Titans? I'm considering Replacing the mains in 3 or 4 months, and I'd like to not need to replace the center at the same time. Hopefully, however, I can put together a Monitor front stage at that time, in which i would most definitely move up to the CC-370.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 270 is a better choice than the 170, though my 170 served me well for some time. The 270 matches perfectly with the Titans. The 370 is better than both, and unless you are going to get a good trade in deal, I'd wait and go with the Monitors up front.

For back surrounds, I would definitely go with Atoms over Micros. It's a bit of a toss up between Titans and Atoms. The Titans definitely have more bass, but the Atoms can hold their own but lack a little punch when things get loud and low.

3. Iver

Iver Second Unit

You can check out the specs on the Performance line

HERE

Note that the tweeter for the CC-270 is incorrectly listed as being "3/4-inch." The first number given, 25mm, is correct. That means 1.0 inches.

The latest version (v3) Atom and Titans use a 3/4-inch (19mm) tweeter as does the CC-170 v3 center.

At this page you will find Paradigm's reccomendations for speaker system combinations.

They do not reccomend the CC-270 for the Atom and Titan, possibly because of the different tweeters. They do reccomend the CC-270 for all the speakers using the one-inch CMC tweeter, including the new Focus and Esprit as well as the Phantom and Legend.

These are their reccomendations for optimum performance. However, Paradigm states that all of their Performance centers and surrounds are timbre-matched to the entire line of Performance front-channel speakers, meaning they will all work together in surround arrays.

Keep in mind, when buying from e-bay, that the latest versions of the floorstanding (and bookshelf) performance speakers have had changes, sometimes quite significant changes. For example, the Legend used to have an integral subwoofer amp driving a 10-inch speaker. The mid driver was a single poly unit (6.5 inches) and the tweeter was 3/4 inches.

So check on the version and on the exact driver specs on any Performance speaker you are considering on e-bay.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The difference between the 3/4" tweeter and 1" tweeter on the performance line is not that big of a difference. The tweeters are of the same construction and utilize similar crossover schemes across the line. The crossover goes a lot farther to making speakers timbre matched than just the drivers themselves.

For the Atoms and Titans, there is no difference between V2 and V3. I had v1, v2 and v3 Titans at the same time, and I could not really tell the difference between them, other than visually. The Titan and Atom use the same tweeter, and always have, AFAIK.

The 170 uses identical drivers as the Atom. The 270 uses the same mid-bass drivers as the Titan and Focus, and uses the same tweeter as the Focus.

There is quite a bit of difference between my 170 (rear center) and my 370 (front center), which is timbre matched to the Monitor line.