1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm performance pricing

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jonathan:H, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Jonathan:H

Jonathan:H Auditioning

Does this sound like a good deal to everyone?

Pair Titans
    Pair Atoms
    CC-270 center
    PDR-10 subwoofer

For $988 U.S? or $668 w/o sub.

Is it high, low, or average? Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It is not especially low, but is not a bad deal. Looks like about 10% off ($668), and I would say worth while. I'd recommend Titans all the way around though, for just a little more. I had this setup about 2 yrs ago, and it was quite good for what I spent - right about what you are being quoted.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, the Adire Rava will likely give you better performance than the PDR-10.

3. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I had 4 Atoms, a CC-170, and a PDR-10 for about $800 in all. That sounds like a good deal if you are getting the CC-270 and two Titans instead.

4. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I think the CC-170 is the matching center for Titans and you could use the money you save to upgrade the rears to Titans. Btw, what will you be using for your reviever.

CLS

5. Jonathan:H

I think I will be using the H/K AVR-230. OK match? I think I would rather have a bigger and badder center than better rears, since more stuff comes from the center channel.

6. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

The CC-270 and 170 are both timbre matched for ANY of the performance line. It won't matter which one you get, the CC-270 will go a tad bit deeper. I'd go Titans and CC-270 for the fronts and center. Then just use Atoms for surround. The PDR-10 is a great sub for those speakers too, and you can stay under $1000.

7. John Garcia

John
    Technically, the Titans and Atoms match the 170 and the Focus goes with the 270, but I've owned all of them except the Focus and they do all match well enough that timbre is not a problem. The 270 is a noticably better center than the 170.

Yes, that recevier will be a good match. I agree, I would spend more on the main 3 than the rears, but the difference between Atoms and Titans is only about $30 (locally anyway).

8. James C

James C Extra

So, would Titans in the front and Atoms in the rear be a good combo....or would 4 Atoms be better.

9. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Titans go deeper and can handle more power. The question is if your using a 80 or 100Hz crossover on your receiver will you ever send a signal to the Titans that the Atoms wouldn't be able to reproduce?

Also, many think the Atoms have better clarity than Titans. I suggest that you can only make this decision for yourself by listening to each.

The 270 has a 1" tweeter whereas the 170 has the same 3/4" tweet that the Titans and Atoms have.

If you're not oppose to other suggestions or buying net direct I'd check out the Rocket ELTs in that price range.

10. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I'd save the money on the sub, and buy an SVS or HSu one for a little bit more, you'll be a lot happier. Either one will perform a lot better for you. [​IMG]

11. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I would do 4 Atoms and the CC170 since it has uses the same woofer and tweeter as the Atoms and use the extra money for a beefier sub. If you were to get Atoms or Titans it would be best to set them to small on your receiver so the extra extension the Titans have over the Atoms won't be that big a deal. I think most would agree that going with Atoms and a better sub would make a bigger difference than the PDR10 and Titans.

Look into Hsu, SVS, and Adire Audio for subwoofers, the entry level offerings from these companies would be a much better choice than the PDR-10. If you do want to stick with Paradigm for the sub then the PW2200 is a hell of a subwoofer.

12. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Yep, I agree. I KNOW that the Atoms and the CC-170 sound good together...really good. They are right about the sub, just get an SVS instead of the PDR.

13. John Garcia

John

14. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Where did you get the info that they are -3dB at 70Hz? I looked online and I can't find it.

15. John Garcia

John
    Sorry, they list it as -3 @ 55Hz (+/-2dB from 70-20K was the spec I remembered), but I can tell you it is much higher than that when they run out of extension. Both my current bedroom speakers, Mordaunt Short 902s (in the exact same setup I had the Atoms in), and my A/V-2s are -3 @ 55Hz also, and they both go much lower.

16. Jonathan:H

How much would 4 atoms and a CC170 run me in U.S. $??? Anybody know?

Any opinions on SVS vs. HSU subs? One their cheapest models...

17. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

You should be able to find that for under $600.

SVS vs. Hsu is a case were you can't lose. Both are very good. I believe Hsu may have the best value right now with the STF-2 for $399 and free shipping.

18. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

4 Atoms, a CC-170, and a PDR-10 cost me $850 dollars last year. These are all version 3.

19. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

20. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Let me know how the 270 stacks up against the 370 and the 170 if you get a chance.