What's new

Paradigm or PsB (1 Viewer)

Brian Burnaby

Auditioning
Paradigm Monitor 7's

or

PsB Image 5T's

I'm looking for other peoples opininons, particualarly someone who has compared the two.

Brian

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Since no one has jumped in I will.
Last week I went to listen to the paradigm monitor7's. I didnt care much for them. I am no audiophile but to me they just didnt "sound right" A little too tinny/unnatural sounding.
I plan on listening to the PSB 5T's tonight. So I will post back later with my results.
So far the best sounding speakers I have listened too (in this price range) were the Klipsch RC-3 II.
I think the two best people you can listen to for advice though is Mr. Rightear & Mrs. Leftear :D
I doubt I will ever buy anything just on user reviews. Not many will admit that the high-dollar speakers they just paid for sound crappy.

Brian Burnaby

Auditioning
Thanks forthe reply Brian,
I also felt the Paradigm's didn't sound quite as good as the PsB's, but I couldn't really put it into words (I'm no audiophile ;)). I was skeptical wether I was hearing a differance in the speakers, or the showrooms. The showroom where I heard the Paradigm's was made with unsupported drwywall walls, and a drywall ceiling that apparently had 10 ft of empty space above it. This at least is what the sales guy told me.
For this reason I am leaning towards the PsB's but the Paradigm are listed cheaper, and I couldn't get past that.
I'll look for a place that sells Kipsch and check out the model you mentioned.
And please do resond with your opinion on the 5T's after you hear them.
Brian

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Brian,

Take an audition on the Paradigm Reference Studio/20 or Studio/40....definately a step up from the Monitor series IMO.

I had compared the Paradigm Reference series with the PSB Stratus (next up from the Image line)..compared to the Studios, the PSB's (PSB Stratus Bronze) were laid back in the treble. Both were good....so it's up to listener for his/her preferences. As a result, I had purchased the Studio series....I remain a very happy camper.

Dave

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I see I posted the model wrong for the klipsch. It was an RF-3 II :b I am actually leaning towards this model.

I didnt get a chance to go listen to the PSB's tonight(store closed)

You have to remember that unless they are running the same receiver as you, you may not get the same sound. For the paradigm audition the store had a $2k receiver hooked up & I still didnt quite "get" the sound. So what is it going to sound like on my receiver? I'll never know..... (btw, I am not bashing paradigm, to each their own right?)

When I listened to the klipsch they were using the same receiver that I have so I knew what I would be hearing. (aside from room acoustics, and the fact they had them way to close to the back wall)

The PSB store also has the same receiver as me so I am interested in going in for a listen.

I wish I could audition other brands, but they just arent available locally.

Martice

Screenwriter
I've owned the Paradigm Reference 100's v.2s and I presently own the PSB Goldi's. Both are solid performers in the full range category of speakers and it really will come down to what you like when you hear them. I liked the Paradigm's but thought they were a little analytical for my taste when I switched to a solid state setup coming from a tubed setup. Only when I compared them to the PSB's did this finding really stand out. They both are monsters in the low end with the PSB seeming a little more deep (not bloated) and the Paradigms sound a little more punchy (not light though)in the chest. The PSB's are known for their massive sound stage and I recently made some adjustments regarding speaker placement in my room and the soundstage is indeed monstrous. The Paradigms seem colorless(honest sounding)compared to the PSB's which have a slightly warmer (in a british sense) presentation especially in the mid range. The Paradigms as I remember, really worked well when I had a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 (tubed)as the pre along with my MSB modified link DAC. The PSB's sounds more pleasing with my present Solid State setup.

Your choice is really system dependent and when someone is making a recommendation of a speaker to you, don't be ashamed to ask what was the last speaker they owned and where they heard the recommended speaker in question so that you know exactly what context to take their recommendation. See if you can e-mail them in private to ask what equipment they are running with the speakers if they don't have a link to their system already. The more you know about what they are running with the speakers you're thinking of buying, the more you can make a comparison of what YOU will be running with the speakers you plan to buy and what to expect in GENERAL. If someone says that everyone here says that so and so speakers are good so they must be and that's enough for you, then so be it. The real test is when you get those speakers home and you crank those puppies up!!!.

If you can, take the speaker home with you for a trial and then if you are still curious take the other pair home as well and do a comparison. Which ever one you prefer take the other one back. If not, take some of your most familiar recordings with you to the store and do some critical listening.

Good Luck

Brian Burnaby

Auditioning
Martice,
I really like the Paradigm reference speakers when I heard them (never heard the PsB stratus), and if I was just buying speakers for stereo music I probably would get either of those. But I plan on buying the full 5 speaker set over the next 2 years, to be properly timbre matched. And If I start out with the Reference speakers, that will end up getting way out of my budget. The Monitor and Image series seem like a good compromise for a surround system.
I just might take both speakers home and so do a direct comparison. But if the rest of the equipment makes as big a differance as you say, then that might be a waste of time for me. My current reciver is a Sony AVR-770, a piece of junk:thumbsdown:. All my current equipment consists of hand-me-downs, and I have just started to get a system piece by piece, beginning with a pair of tower speakers.
Right now I'm thinking I will eventually get the Denon 3800, so if anyon out there knows how these speakers sound with this or a similar receiver, please pipe in.
Thanks,
Brian

Martice

Screenwriter
I just might take both speakers home and so do a direct comparison. But if the rest of the equipment makes as big a differance as you say, then that might be a waste of time for me.
Only if your expectations are not realistic and you've listened to the hype as opposed to the speakers. Matching your receivers output capability and the speakers power requirements as well as factoring in your room size, you should be able to get a good pair of speakers from PSB, Paradigm or many other speaker companies to match your idea of how you wish your system to sound. Being honest about your systems capabilities as well as your present room size and how it sounds, goes a long way in getting the most out of your present system. A general rule is that you cannot spend too much for a speaker unless you don't plan to purchase associated equipment that will compliment the speakers capabilities in the future.

If you buy speakers that are generally known to sound good in a variety of systems in your price range and you feel that you still don't like your systems sound then it maybe something else in the chain or you just don't like the speakers that you brought home. Good speakers have a way of revealing certain aspects of your system that less revealing speakers may not be able to so some experimentation may be necessary to reach the point where you are happy. The speakers are the first place to start in my book though.

We call that creating the 'synergistic system' and it's still all relative to what you hear as long as your expectations are realistic.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
I am not familiar with the Sony unit you have but you may find that it will do fine with the speakers you are considering. As an example, I have a very inexpensive ($100) Pioneer stereo receiver that I have used with several speakers including Thiel, Norh, Fried and PSB and have found it does an excellent job driving all these speakers.

Brian Burnaby

Auditioning
Phewf... That's good to hear. One of my big worries is that I'll bring home a new set of speakers, and they'll sound the same as the Rat Shack / Sound Dynamics hand me down stuff I'm currently using.

Thanks for your input guys. I didn't quite get the comparison I was looking for. I'll post again after I do a in home demo of the two in case any of you are interested.

Thanks,

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks