What's new

Paradigm or PSB? (1 Viewer)

Kerry R

Grip
I am looking to put together my first HT system. I am very new to all of the choices in receivers and speakers. My question for the board today involves which speakers to buy. I have been researching several different sets of speakers. Two sets that I am considering are the Paradigm (Titans in front & in rear and the CC170 for the Center Channel) and the PSB (Image 2B for fronts & rears & and the 8C for the Center). Does anyone have any opinions as to which speakers are better? Pros and Cons?

Also is it important to have a Sub that is from the same manufacturer as the rest of your speakers?

Thanks

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Kerry, take a look at some commercial reviews over at www.ecoustics.com. Both PSB and Paradigm make fine speakers and the lines your talking about are quite popular. You'll have to audition them to really know which is better for you.
As for the sub. For the most part it really doesn't matter that you keep to the same brand as your main speakers. Most people here prefer SVS Subs and they don't make anything else.
Patrick

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The sub is the one piece that doesn't matter if it matches. For the rest, it is best to have all the speakers from one manufacture's line. Ie mixing PSB Stratus and Alpha is more or less the same as mixing Stratus and Paradigm Reference. The idea here is that the drivers used in each line will have a certain tonal characteristic. So you want all the drivers to be the same so that your system's sound doesn't change as sounds pan between the speakers. Taken to the extreme, the ideal setup then uses 5 or 7 identical speakers.

In my opinion this is only really important on the front three. If need be you can use cheaper speakers for surrounds that don't match up quite as well.

As a final note, I don't think your two options are in the same category. The PSB Image series competes with the Paradigm Monitor series not the Paradigm Performance series. PSB equivalent to the Performance series is their Alpha series. From Paradigm you should be able to get 4 MiniMonitors and a CC370 for what you are paying for the PSB Image series speakers. I'd also recommend for your PSB setup that you step the 8C up to the 9C, and if you need to cut cost some to do it, drop the surrounds to 1B. Listen to both the Paradigm and PSB setups I've recommended and decided which you like best.

For the sub, I would reccomend in descending order: a DIY option, SVS, Paradigm PW2200, HSU VTF2, Adire Rava, Paradigm PDR10/12. I wouldn't bother with a PSB sub.

Vasanth B

Stunt Coordinator
I'd also recommend for your PSB setup that you step the 8C up to the 9C, and if you need to cut cost some to do it, drop the surrounds to 1B. Listen to both the Paradigm and PSB setups I've recommended and decided which you like best.
I'll have to disagree with Dustin here. I agree that within the PSB, stepping down to the 1B is a great budget move. Others have stated that you don't really lose much going down to the smaller 1B driver. However, I would stick with the Image 8C if you go with the 1B since they have the same sized drivers. (5.25" I believe) 1B+9C could results in a tonal mismatch for the front channels. This is not good. You want seemless transition with left-right panning effects. Some go as far as saying you should use the exact same speaker for all three front speakers.

I have 1Bs all around with the 8C center and it is a great setup! Well matched for movies and very good for music.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I think you miss understood me Vasanth. I was suggesting 9C, 2B mains and 1B surrounds. Instead of 8C, 2B mains, 2B surrounds. The 8C uses 5.25" drivers while the 9C uses 6.5" drivers. The 1B uses 5.25" drivers and the 2B uses the same 6.5" drivers in the 9C. In HT the center channel is probably the most important speaker, so I'd rather skimp on surrounds than the center.

Although when it comes right down to it, I really doubt anyone could actually hear a tonal difference between the 5.25" and 6.5" drivers in the PSB Image series. But there will be an output capability difference. The 6.5" driver will have a decided displacement advantage that will allow it to play louder with less effort.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Kerry,

I'm a PSB man myself. Can you tell us what your budget is (have you taken in consideration the discounts you can get on any of your choices)? How limited are you with space? Why are you particularly attracted to the 2B's? I guess what I'm trying to find out is what do you have to work with?

Thanks,

SP

Kerry R

Grip
Well I have not set a budget yet. I would like to stay around $1,000 for the 5 speakers but would consider going up a little higher if that's what it takes to do things right. I don't want to have to upgrade any time real soon.

I'm putting this in my basement in a fairly large space. Probably in a 20' x 20' space of a room that is about 20 x 30. That is why I was looking at bookshelves with a 6.5 in woofer.

At the advice of one of the people who replied to my post I am considering the HSU VTF2 Subwoofer. Do anyone think this 10" Sub will be alright in the space I have described?

Thanks

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
That's a fairly large room. Larger than mine and I own the 6T's, 9C, and 10S's and a Velodyne HGS-15. As far as the 5 channels of PSB's I don't think I'd want any less than the 5T's (which I could have got away with) in my setup. If you search out the PSB's on the web you can find the 5T's, 9C, and 2B's for pretty close to your budget. The 9C is an awesome center speaker IMO. Of course the whole PSB Image Series is awesome IMO. Check out the reviews if you haven't already and try your best to listen to a setup. I don't know much about the VTF sub but from reviews here in this forum it kicks butt, giving some larger subs a smackin'. Check out Tom Nusaines sub review numbers here in the forum....if I remember correctly the VTF faired rather well.
You get the PSB's and a good sub (maybe even an SVS) I'll have a hard time believin' you will need to upgrade anytime real soon.
Keep in mind this is only my opinion. Yours is the only one that will count.
SP

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that moving up from the 2B might be a good thing, but not absolutely necessary. I got an almost ridiculous deal on my 4T, 8C and 1B combo. I paid around $610 before tax. That kind of deal doesn't always present itself, but I think your dealer would probably have some room to maneuver.

Good luck.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Personally for a few hundred more dollars I believe you get a good improvement in the 5t, 9c, 2b, combo....especially with that large room.
The deals are out there to be had on PSB's. If you do a Yahoo search for "PSB Image Speakers" and browse through Yahoo shopping you will find a host of online dealers with new (in the factory box) merchandise. Most are not, however, authorized dealers, but do provide warrantee through the dealer. This may or may not be okay. I have seen several posts here and at www.audioreview.com where purchasers have used these sites with success. If nothing else it may give you some leverage when talking with other dealers that are authorized. One of the online dealers that comes to mind and I've seen a lot of is www.hificiti.com. You might check them out.
SP

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
In my quest to find the best speakers i spent 3 months listening to different ones. In my opinion PSB was a better speaker. The only thing i didnt like is that the highs were very hot ... the kind that can make your ears bleed ya know :) I've played classical violin for most of my life and have played in orchestras and such so I listened primarily to classical music. On the paradigms, it just did not sound realistic to me.. too muffled. the PSB's fared much better.. in fact I almost bought PSB Image speakers. In home theater, it's harder to tell the difference. I've heard several paradigm HT setups and they sounded fine in a small to medium size room. At one point I tried a paradigm CC350 center in my HT (22' x 21' basement) and it sounded too puny..
there are a ton of paradigm fans, and everyone always sings high praises.. maybe my ears are just different, but i did not like them that much.
I ended up buying all Tannoy speakers :D
hope that helps

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
Hmmmmm....my PSB's highs are on the softer side. Maybe it's because of the amp (Sunfire Cinema Grand) or it could be my room, who knows. None the less, I have no complaints. There's always a lot to consider. I suppose that's what makes it so much fun.

SP

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget speaker break in is to consider. If a speaker seems sharp and shrill it could be because it has very little play time on it. Or it could be Klipsch :laugh: Just kidding, some speakers are brighter though. Even my Polk soft domes sounded a bit better after a while. A better example is this.
I went up to a hifi store and heard some B&W601s2 and loved them. They were smooth and sweet. I really like the B&W sound. Anyway, I went to another dealer with my fiance and showed them to her. She hated them, I hated them too. The amps were similar, but come to find out, the one we disliked was brand new. It had been out of the box for 2 days. If you check over on audioreview people bash B&W for having a sharp sound. I think that has to do with break in. Of course, I could be wrong.
Just something to consider.
Mike Dr: I'm interested to know how you think the B&W tweeter, be it nautilus or the regular tapered cone, faithfully reproduces music.
Good luck,
Jon

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered PSB's top of the line Stratus Goldi ($2700 retail) for $1650 factory blemish from DMC Electronics, Garden Grove, CA. 714-534-8780
DMC is a PSB authorized dealer.
There are better deals out there but I chose them since shipping was only $100 for 240 lb of Goldi and C6i center speakers to Vegas. $2250 total cost.
I have never heard a PSB speaker but have a good idea of what to expect from reading hundreds of reviews on the net.
AudioReview was very helpful.
I expect to hear great dynamics and moderate detail.
I will be looking for a Bryston 4B-ST (400 watts at 4 ohms x2) to drive the power hungry Goldi's.
A Carver A-753x (400 watts at 4 ohms x3) will be used in the time being but the Carver rolls-off the mids and highs a bit.
Thanks to those on the HTF that steered me toward PSB!
I have a feeling that I am going to be very :)

SteveEdwards

Agent
All the Canadian speaker manufacturers share the exact same technology- they're all very similar. This is due to government funding and the laws governing those it funds- they must share their research :) They're all great values- they have "free" access to the world's largest audio lab I believe in exchange for sharing what they find. Paradigm specializes in < $2k, Energy does all prices (as does PSB, right?), Definitive Tech specializes in bipolar speakers, etc. Just make note of the price categories from each manufacturer and pick the line you can afford. Personally, I used to own Energy loudspeakers that I loved. Paradigm's Studio series is also very good- though I own a Mini-monitor and am rather disappointed. I must add, I recently heard Definitive Technology's new PowerMonitor series and was absolutely blown away. Those speakers are bipolar, which will give an exaugerrated image (re: not realistic, but neat) for music but are absolutely amazing with movies. If you're a guy that jacks the volume up on the subwoofer, you'll probably also like the image created by these speakers. Speaking of subs- with those, a quite capable subwoofer is included.

Kerry R

Grip
I've seen mention on this board about the great prices you can get in Canada on Paradigm speakers. I live in the Cleveland area and it certainly may be worth my time to drive into Ontario to buy speakers. My question to the board is since PSB is a Canadian company can I get similar discounts on PSB speakers in Canada?

Thanks

Marc H

Second Unit
Steve,

I'd have to disagree with you. There's quite radical different technology between the Canadian brands IMHO.

Also, isn't DefTech American? I know it was a couple of Canucks that started the company but, correct me if I'm wrong but the higher priced stuff is made in Maryland and the lower priced stuff comes from China.

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
Jon_R - I listened to some of B&W's lower priced speakers (602's i believe)- they sounded nice and sweet (as a lot of british speakers do). I actually found them a little lacking in the highs but again,could've been the setup .. it seems like a great speaker for jazz type music. The more expensive ones sounded great.

I ended up getting Tannoys (also british) cause they still had that sweetness but had nice highs (to my ear).

The PSB by comparison probably had a better bass response than the others (B&W were good with bass as well i believe but dont remember), but that did not sway me as much since I have a subwoofer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks