What's new

Paradigm or PSB (Which speakers to buy?) (1 Viewer)

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I need some help picking out some 5.1 speakers for my setup. First I am going to get the Denon 3803 or an Onkyo 5.1 receiver. I am going to need the entire 5.1 setup. I am looking at the following
PSB
Image 5T-7T (not sure which to get)
Image 9C Center
Image 10S surrounds
Subsonic 6 Sub
Paradigm
Legend L/R Towers
ADP-170 surrounds
CC-270 center
PDR-12
Both systems would run around $2000. I intend to use it 70% for DVD's, 20% for games, and the rest split between TV viewing and listening to CD's, so I would be looking for a system that would handle a movie soundtrack better then one tuned for music. Which of these should I go for? Or in your opinion for the money, is there a better set to look at?

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I'll also suggest the Axiom line with and SVS sub.. I have the M60ti with SVS 25-31cs and i'm very happy with the set up.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
I've never listened to PSB, so I can't comment on the comparison. I did just audition Paradigms (Performance line) against B&W (600 S3 series) and preferred the Paradigms for DVD/Movies.

You could save yourself $250+ by going with the Atoms or Titans instead of the dipole for your surround speakers.

If you're going with the PDR-12 sub, why do you need the Legend speakers? With that sub, I'd guess that you only need one of the bookshelf speakers as mains. In my case, I preferred a floorstanding model (for aesthetics), so I went with the Phantom.

I bought Phantoms (Main), CC-270 (center), Atoms (surround), PDR-12 for $1,150.

I thought about SVS, but it's more expensive ($530 + whatever shipping is versus $350 for the PDR-12) and it's much less cosmetically appealing: big black barrel in the room (~3 feet tall), versus a much smaller cube that can be had in black, light cherry, or rosenut/dark cherry.

Jedd

Second Unit
Je-P, both PSB and Paradigm are very well made speakers with an excellent sound. Some people prefer PSB, some people prefer Digm's but only your own ears can tell you the truth.
As for my IMHO (hearing opinion) - PSB sounds a bit more dull and natural with wider soundstage, while Paradigms give you more warm and "magic" sound, so after all I went with paradigms for my HT, they just please my ears and there is nothing I can do about it. :)
But if you do a lot of movies I would strongly recommend you to get an Axiom+SVS bundle. It's not only the best bang for you buck, but also the best movie combo under two grands I ever was listening to.

Jedd

Second Unit
I'd get M60TiSe plus M22TiSe for surrounds (don't like that Q stuff), VP150Se should be fine.
You need M80ti only if you have a BIG room and and an amp which can handle 4ohm. So I guess the answer is not.
PSB and Paradigm subs are tad overpriced (unless you live in Canada), so if you don't like SVS take a look at Adire Audio Rava or Axiom's subs (and probably small discound for a whole package :) )

neil h

Auditioning
I heard them a few months ago,very nice for the money.they have to be good.... their canadian.

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
I can't tell you about the other systems, but the system I have used for the past year consists of:

PSB
Image 5T
Image 9C Center
Image 2B surrounds
Subsonic 6 Sub

Denon AVR 882 (2802)

This absolutely Rocks for DVD's and for music is more than OK.

I am planning to add a 5 channel Parasound HCA-1205 and "Y" split my front L/R pre-outs to channels 1,2,3 and 4. I'll run these to the upper and lower posts of the 5T's for 140W per post. This will leave CH 5 for the center pre-out. This will leave only the surrounds for the reciever to drive.

This should successfully eliminate any over-drain on the reciever when playing my rock concerts at concert levels.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks