Paradigm or Martin Logan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeteDiV, Mar 28, 2002.

1. PeteDiV

PeteDiV Auditioning

Hello all,

I'm in search of opinions and comments on choosing speakers. My choices are Paradigm Reference Studio 100, Studio ADP, and Studio CC. The other is Martin Logan (Odessey or Ascent), Theater, and Aerius I's.

The type of music that Listen to is all over the place from Hard Rock, Blues, Pop, Dance, Country. I will also be using these speakers for home theater ( not a dedicated room ).

As far as Amplifiers go my choice is either Rotel or Anthem.

Processor Anthem AV20 or Rotel 1066.

All opinions and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

IMHO, if you have the room for proper setup, the martin logans will blow you away. To me they are a step above Paradigm. Don't get me wrong, the paradigm's are excellent speakers, but my personal choice would be the martin logans. But as I mentioned before they need to be setup properly. You need to have enough room behind, to the side and in between to really make them sing. They are not the type of speaker you buy and just throw into room between your t.v. for ht. I suggets you find a dealer that has them setup for ht and know what they are doing when it comes to there placement. Also you can call martin logan directly, they are great to deal with. Let them know what you have in mind for a ht setup and they can head you in the right direction.As far as the amps both rotel and anthem should be fine.[​IMG]

3. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

Holy cow, its difficult to even compare these speakers.

When I was looking for speakers a year ago, I listened very carefully to the Studio 100's and other speakers in the same bracket from PSB, B&W, DefTech, etc. I thought the Studio 100's provided the best value and the best combination for music and HT.

Then I heard the ML's and bought a pair of reQuests , a discontinued pair at more than twice the price of a pair of new Studio 100's. But the difference in sound was worth to me and I've never regretted the investment. No contest, not even a fair comparison. I aspire to upgrade to Odyssey's some day (just don't tell my wife.)

The soundstage, imaging, speed, detail, and clarity of the ML's blows away all of the others. A quick listen and it will be obvious. All of the tweeters on the dynaminc speakers I listened to had a bit of an edge to them, definitely audible, sometimes some sibilance on vocals (such as on the Trinity Sessions), other times just a bit of a harsh edge surrounding the sound. But the ML's were perfectly clear and neutral.

What do you want to use them for? What is your mix of audio and HT? The ML's are revealing and you'll need better equipment to be satisfied, but it all depends on what you ultimately want.

What do you want? Best sound, or best value?

(Mind you, for 'best' sound - now you're getting into a whole new bracket,and there are many other good options to listen to.)

Larry

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I have to agree with larry ML's aren't your typical speaker and will change how you hear music. If the cost of ML's is a probihiting factor try auditioning Magnepan's since they can be had cheaper then ML's and sound fairly similar (superior in some respects)

5. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Really hard to compare, as these products really aren't comparable. [​IMG]
    If you've got the space for a proper MartinLogan setup, I think you'd like it. Definitely in another world compared to the 'digms.
    /Jeff

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

If you've got the space to set them up and the money to buy them, the MLs are the way to go. Both Rotel and Anthem should run them fine. You might want to consider a separate 2CH amp for the front speakers for 2CH listening. Are Aragon amps out of the question? They'd really make your the system sound nice. An 8008 for the front and an 8008X3 for the center and rear. I believe there have been some good prices on the 8008X5 on uBid recently as well.

7. PeteDiV

PeteDiV Auditioning

I went to a local shop on Friday and spent 4 hours auditioning Paradigms, Rotel, & Anthem. I've decided on the Anthem AV20 & at Rotel RMB-1095. As far as space goes at home I would be very cramped for the ML's and would probably not do them justice for correct placement. This alone will probably make up my mind more so than anything else. One of the most common complaints that I've read have been related to the small sweet spot when it comes to ML's. I thought if I went a tad a on the bigger side in a smaller room I could decrease this. I won't be living in my current house for more than a couple of years and I would make sure in the furture to have the space for ML's or any other configuration that I desire. So should I be on the safe side and get the right speaker for the room and upgrade in the future or bite the bullet know and suffer a bit on space. ( No wife yet to please
    [​IMG]

8. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

ML's are great speakers but Paradigm will give you

a better response in the low end and more bang for

your money.

This being said the better speaker is always the

one that you like best so make shure you listen to

both and take your time .

Robert

9. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Paradigm is strictly mid-fi, while the better Martin Logans are definately high-fi. They're really not comparable. The Odyssey is the "sweet speaker" in the Martin Logan line-up, IMO. You do, however, need a lot of room and high-end equipment (i.e. not Anthem or Rotel) for them. Since your space and budget is limited, perhaps the Paradigms would be a better choice. There are other speakers out there, however, for the same price that I prefer to the Paradigms.