Paradigm or Internet brand??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve Smitty, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

I need some main speakers and a center, I'm building a new house which will have a 17'x22' room will have 14'x17 sectioned off for ht, and the other side will be a game room. I'm using some Dayton 3-way inwall speakers for the surrounds and the rear (6.1) system, I have a diy sub as well but may go with infinite baffle later on.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of titans ($220 pair) or maybe some phantoms ($480 pair) with probably a 270 center speaker($299). So i'll spend $519 if i go with titans and center, or $750 if i go the phantom and center route.

Is this about the best system i can get for this price range? Also do these prices look pretty good, i don't have any other paradigm dealers nearby to compare with. I'll be using this system for 70% ht, 30% music.

thanks for any help!

2. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

If your checking out the Paradigms I would suggest listening to the Mini-Monitor / CC370 combo for the front end.

With a decent sub that will be a very nice Paradigm set up for the money spent.

I started out with Paradigms. I have listened to pretty much every speaker in their line. From the Atoms up to the Reference Series. I think Paradigms are a great HT speaker for the money. To my ears and my wallet I really felt the Mini-Monitors/370 combo was the best Paradigm "bang for the buck".

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I agree with David....If you want to step up from the Titans, I'd go to the monitor line instead of going up the performance line. The mini's and a 370 is a nice front stage (though the Monitor 5's are my personal favorite from that line).

Paradigms are great for HT!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm with Alan, the 5s are my favorites, especially if you have a larger room, but the Minis will do just fine.

The 270 center matches with the Focus and above, not the Atoms & Titans. IMO, the Minis are worth it over the Titans and Focus. Better musical performance, which still translates into an improvement in HT, and the CC370 is better than the 170 or 270 (I've owned all 3).

5. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

how much would two mini series and the 350 cost?

6. DavidCooper

I Think you can find Mini's from dealers for around $300 a pair. The 370 center should be right around $350.....fairly sure on this. But it's been a while since I've priced these.

7. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

i'll try and go by the dealer's store tommorrow. So as far as price goes, are the mini's the best bang for the buck against online brands?

8. John Garcia

John
    I got my 370 v3 for $329, did they go up for v4? At the time, the Minis were $369. That's a pretty good sized room, but the Minis should do OK. What will you be powering them with?

In the price range, you might also consider the Axiom M22 and VP150. They cost more, but they should handle a larger room better.

Mordaunt Short 902s and a 905c can be had for a great price from www.ac4l.com . I have 902s and prefer them to the Minis. They include free ground shipping right now too!!

9. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I was a huge Paradigm fan and replaced my Mini-Monitors with Ascend Acoustics 170s I haven't looked back and think that outside of bottom end extension the 170 compete favorably with Studio 20s.

A pair of Ascend 170s and the 340CC will run you around $600.

10. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

i have a jvc 100x5 (at least that's what jvc says) , but i'll be upgrading to a yamaha or a remanufactured HK. I'll go to the Ascend web and check those out as well.

as far as the room size goes, i'll have a partition seperating the ht partion from the rest, I'll have a 14x17 room for ht. what ever i get i'll want it to rock this space, If the monitors are too small, i may have to go for phantom towers. I have to stay in my budget!

11. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

the axioms look pretty good too the m2i and vp100 fall in my price range.

12. DavidCooper

Well I think the Mini's are a great store brand "bang for buck". However, I replaced mine with the Swan 2.1 ($299) and there was NO comparision. The Swan's walked all over the Mini's, even the wife could tell a big diffence in sound quality.

In the $300 range for a good bookshelf sized speaker (if your considering internet brands) I would look at either the Ascend 170 or the Swan 2.1 in the black cherry finish. They are both amazing values and will hold their own against the Paradigm studio 20's.

13. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

Boy this is killing me! I called the dealer to see how late they are open. They don't have any monitors on hand, only the low performance (titans,phantoms etc) and the studio series. the studio 20's and a center will run $1300[​IMG] , they said the monitor series wasn't that much better than the performance, so they weren't selling.

should i just save money and the get the titan and 270 cc?
    ARe the Swan 2.1s really that good, what about their center?

14. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Steve: I think you'd be quite happy with the Titans if you went that route, but I have to agree with the others that internet brands many times do offer greater value. Does your local guy have an upgrade policy? Some places will give you an entire year to upgrade to something better.

I'd also consider the models John mentioned above. There have been a few times when I followed his advice and found it to be a really good decision. He's a pretty objective guy, and if he says something is good, chances are it is [​IMG]

15. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Thats crazy, they are much better IMO.

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I had the Axiom M22ti speakers and the VP150 center channel. Frankly, it didn't do much for me. The 5.25" drivers were a bit anemic with sound.

I'm breaking in some other speakers from another Internet on-line speaker seller. As I write this, I'm pretty pleased with them. I have probably 40 hours logged into breaking them in at this point. Home Theater Direct revamped their line a few months back. I picked up the front 3 speakers from their Level Three line. They are constructed of 3/4" MDF, feature real wood veneer, ribbon tweeters, front ports - so they can be mounted a little closer to walls. About $485, with shipping for the front 3 speakers.

17. John Garcia

John
    Axioms are very clear, but they are a tad brighter. They lack the extension of the Monitors. It's a toss-up for me.

I haven't heard the Swans or the HTDs yet.

The Monitor series isn't selling at their store because they clearly aren't trying to SELL them...DUH.

The Ascends are also great, however the 170s also lack good extension in favor of midrange clarity. For bookshelf speakers, I prefer something that is good to about 60Hz, preferably down into the 50s, which would mean looking at the 370s across the front instead, and that is going to cost more.

When I went with the Titans, I ended up upgrading them within a year to Minis, so my opinion is the Minis are worth it.

Thanks Alan [​IMG]

18. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Ascend 170s are designed to be used with a subwoofer crossed over at 80Hz. They are flat to 69Hz and do not trade imaging and mid-range detail for bass extension. For monitors in this price range those are generally the trade offs in design. If you find another speaker with the mids and imaging of the 170 and lower bass extension at the same price point... buy it!

19. Steve Smitty

Steve Smitty Extra

well i went to the dealer today, As soon as i walked in i noticed the titans playing an Ealges live DVD, it was like being there live ,just awesome. after talking over the head of the sales rep, he went and got the owner who is a little more knowlegeable of course. Being that i was dealing with the owner (we hit it off pretty good) he gave me a great deal the titans for 198, and the 270 center for 219, with brackets and tax it was $490. I just couldn't turn it down. Just got the spl's calibrated, and so far the are awesome, the center is super clear, of course i haven't had them long enough to really test them. Thanks for all of your help and hopefully iv'e made the right choice.

20. John Garcia

John
    As long as you are happy with them, you made the right choice. I don't think you will be disappointed. [​IMG] I had my Titans for years.