What's new

Paradigm or HTD (1 Viewer)

Blaine P

Agent
I have pretty much decided on Paradigm Atoms, CC-170, PRD-8 sub and CS-50 for my HT setup. However, I can't get the Home Theater Direct (HTD) Level 2 out of my mind which has comparable specs and is several hundred dollars less.

My question to you experts: Is HTD even comparable to Paradigm (should the two even be compared?) or are they very similar and the price difference is very important (help to get a better receiver)?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Well HTD offers money back guaranty so you may want to try them both at the same time (if you have any kind of money back guaranty with the Paradigm) or buy the HTD first and see how you like them. They also have the Level 3 which I think sounds superb and may compare better with the Paradigms...whats your budget?
Regards

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Owning both the Paradigm Atoms & the CC-170 I can give you my honest opinion that the PDR-8 will be woefully underpowered.

That being said, I too wanna know how Paradigm Performance series and HTD compete, got a second 5.1 system to build. :)

Nhan_H

Second Unit
The HTD shipping charges are very minimal if you're worried about not liking the speakers. I can't speak for the paradigm speakers, but I do own the Level II center, which I'm using in my bedroom, flanked by 2 Gallos. The paradigm sound is a little on the bright side and so is the HTD Level II.

You can try ordering just the 3 front speakers and see how you like them. At the same time, see if the Paradigm dealers can give you an in-home demo, so that you can compare the two sets in your own home.

Good luck with your decision.

Blaine P

Agent

That's what I thought. However, since the WAF is crucial at this stage (brand new house) I want to introduce her to the wonderful world of subwoofers with the smallest available. Besides, I plan on utilizing the upgrade policy at least until I get to the PSB-12.

I am only interested in the Level Two speakers from HTD due to size constraints. Thus, if it is the Level Threes that compare to Paradigm, then I am probably better off with Paradigm. My main concern is if the HTD Level Twos are of the same quality as the Paradigm Atoms and CC-170.

My budget for speakers is no more than $900. Of course, the more $$ saved on speakers, the nicer A/V receiver I can get for my speaker upgrades in the future. Thus, I have a chicken and the egg problem, do I buy my receiver first (to demo the speakers) not knowing which set I will get or buy the speakers and try to match the best receiver? Too many choices.

Mitch G

Agent
FWIW (and it's not alot), I have Atoms all around with a CC-170 center and a PDR-8 and although the sub doesn't rumble me out of my chair, it still seems to keep up pretty well.
This is in a 12ish x 18ish room.

But, I've never listened to a different sub with this setup, so my expectations may simply be lower (no pun intended) than others.

Mitch

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The PDR can provide a good enough bass "punch" with most music, no doubt, but for your newer films, and some bass-heavy music (Anything hip-hop or most newer top 40) the 8 will show its limitations. I'd personally go with the slightly larger PDR-12 if you want to stay in the series. Some may recommend the PDR-10 over the 12 saying its "boomy", But i couldn't hear any boominess.

Blaine P

Agent
Subwoofer aside (I will definitely upgrade each year), are the Paradigms in a higher class than the HTD? The HTD certainly are not discussed much while Paradigm has wide popularity. However, the money saved (if no significant difference between the two) would go a long way towards an A/V receiver upgrade.

cabreau

Second Unit
I have yet to hear someone complain about Atoms. Those little buggers give so much bang for the buck, it makes me want to move to Canada. I would at LEAST upgrade the PDR-8 to the PDR-10. You'll get a very full and satisfying sound from the Atoms, CC-170 and a PDR-10. It's a great setup. I had it for a year before upgrading to the Studio series (the damn Atoms were so good, I just HAD to keep them and use them as surrounds). :)

To be quite honest, for the >$2000 I put into the system to upgrade from the Atoms, I don't think that the sound has improved as much as I thought it would. NOT because the Studios are not worth it, but because the Atoms sound so much better than they cost!!! LOL.

Blaine P

Agent
Thanks for the input. My gut says go with the Paradigms and I am afraid that any attempt to save a few dollars will have me regretting my decision later. The fact that Atoms have received such glowing reviews combined with blowing me away in the demo probably will do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks