What's new

Paradigm or B&W (1 Viewer)

Torsten Zurek

Auditioning
Hi everybody,

i just started out to build my new system and ended up buying a HK Sig2.0 pre and aSig 2.1 pwr amp.Now im looking for new speakers. My preference is in Hometheater and about 30% into music.I listen to Rock and everykind of music except for jazz and classic(shame on me) . My current listening room is about 5m x 8m and the ceiling is about 3m high. the walls on the side have a lot of big openings.However i will be moving in about 2 years and my room will be about 5m x 6m with solid sidewalls and about 2.3m ceiling height. im willing to spend about 4000 max on a speaker sytem not including the sub.The sub will be added later for cost reasons.I looked into a lot of stuff and i eventually came up with 2 different systems;
B&W 804's or cdm9nt as front, center, 805's as surround(all used)
or

Paradigm studio100v2 as front, studio/cc, studio20's as surround.( new)
The reviews of the paradigm are really good but the only issue is , that a lot of people say that they need a lot of power. Since the HK Sig 2.1 has "only 100W RMS" im not quite sure if they can drive the paradigm.
What is the general opinion on paradigms . are they good speakers which live up to the level of B&W .Can my amp drive them and is the cost factor a valid reason?
I can not audition both of the systems without a significant drive and the only dealer around has paradigm studio 60 in stock where i could take my system and check it out.But will that be enough?

im gratefull for any advice.
TIA
Torsten

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard matrix 804s and studio 100s side by side. the Studios will play louder and pound harder, but in terms of sound quality, its simply no comparison. the B&W sound has a texture, speed, airiness, refinement, sophistication, smoothness, that the Studio cannot even think of.

I am looking to buy a pair of used 805s to serve as secondary stereo set up. simply exquisite. however, if I were you, I'd make sure I bought the Matrix HTM center channel.

Torsten Zurek

Auditioning
hi Haru,
thanks for ur reply . I was actually thinking about the signature 804 not the matrix.But since u know stuff , what is the real difference between those two , since they are no longer on the website to check out?

Torsten Zurek

Auditioning
hi Haru,
thanks for ur reply . I was actually thinking about the signature 804 not the matrix.But since u know stuff , what is the real difference between those two , since they are no longer on the website to check out?

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
i would definitely go with the b&ws because it is a much more defined and finess sound...the paradigm might give more for the buck but the b&ws just gives so many more reasons...

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I own Paradigms, 60's, CC, ADP's and like them very much, but I do not feel that they are anyway in the league with the B&W Nautilus line. They are more comparable to the CDM-NT or 600 series.

If you can find a pair of N804's, N805's and a HTM center for a total of $4000 used. Don't even then about it - BUY!

Good Luck,
Mike

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
torsten,

signature 804? I must admit that I have never heard of such a beast. there was the old Signature line, the Silver Signature and the Silver Signature 30, and there are the new Nautilus Signature 805 and Nautilus Signature 800. I don't know of the Signature 804.

are you thinking of the Nautilus 804? that one is even better than the Matrix 804. my dad has a pair of 803s and the 804 sounds just like it except of loudness and bass capability, and let me tell you the sound is just exquisite. close your eyes and buy the Nautilus 804 with confidence. if you're sure about the condition, that is.

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
I was faced with a similiar decision a few years back. I chose the Nautilus 804s. I've never regretted it, not in the slightest.

Before listening, the Paradigm Studio 100 v2, the PSB Gold "i", the PSB Silver "i" and the B&W CDM 7SE were on my list, in that order. After a good amount of careful listening, the B&W CDM 7SE, the PSB Silver "i" and the Paradigm Studio 100 v2 were left, in that order. The day I went to order the CDM 7SEs, I listened to the N805s and the N804s on impulse. I fell for the N804s, HARD. I oredered them that day. I bought a HTM1 a while later, giving me an incredible front soundstage. Just my opinion...

The Paradigm Studio 100 v2 is a good speaker. The N804 is a great speaker. Both will need lots of quality amplification. IMO, at least 350wpc for the Studio 100 v2 & at least 250wpc for the N804s. I use a Bryston 4B ST with very good results.

BTW, with your preference being HT, the B&W HTM1 is one of probably one of the top 2 or 3 center speakers made, MUCH better than the Studio/CC. In fact, if I were you, I'd pick the system based on the center, NOT the mains...

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno, I think think the 804 will run very well on 100wpc, as long as the amp has good headroom. My impression has been that the 804 is really for smaller volume rooms. any room where 100wpc is not enough but 200 would be, mostly likely needs the 803 anyway.

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
I ran my N804s with a 70wpc "high current" receiver for a while. They sounded really good. When I went to the Bryston, they sounded like different speakers, at ALL volumes...

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Well,
You are comparing "APPLES to Oranges" I have to come to the defence of the Studio 100's. This is a $1900 dollar speaker! How much for the B&W Nat 804's? Hello! Then there is the B&W 9NT which costs what $2600? I would take the Studio 100 over that one anyway. Your willing to spend how much on those B&W NAT 804's and use a little HK 100 WPC?
IM lost? If it were me I would spend my money on a good AMP and the Studio 100's and be very, very happy:D But thats me.
If I were going to get the B&W Nat 804's then I would buy a very good AMP with enough power to get out what you paid for on the speakers. Either Paradigm or B&W I would get a decent AMP to get my moneys worth out of the speakers.

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
the person said he was considering used 804s vs new Studio 100s. If the 804s are in mint condition, there is no question which I would buy.

I think the signature 2.1 is more than adequate, unless the room is very large.

however, considering that you're going to be listening only 30% music, and then only rock, etc, I am begining to wonder if the Studio 100 wouldn't be the better choice for your application. it'll play much louder, pound harder, and its not exactly a bad sounding speaker you know? for my tastes, the 804 is it, but I leaning toward Studio 100s for your application.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
There really is no comparison between the Nautilus speakers and the Paradigm Studios. The B&W CDM line is more comparable with the Studio line. At least those are the two lines I compared when I was shopping for my first set of home theater speakers several years ago. The B&W CDMs won out, but mainly because the Studio 100s for just too big.

I have a stereo-only system consisting of Nautilus 804s mated with a Classe integrated amplifier. The amp puts out 100 quality watts per channel, which is more than enough to drive the 804s.

The Paradigms, IMO, need more power to really open up.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
My buddy has a set of the B&W Nautilus speakers. I'm not sure which model but they are big.........Shows my ignorance. Awesome sound.

I didn't really consider them because of my budget. I did listen very carefully to the 600 series versus the Studios and I personnaly liked the Paradigm much better. The 600's seemed a bit muddy in the midrange to me.

I love my studios I have 40's for the front. ADP's for the rear and a Studio CC.

Best sound I've ever had. Clear as a bell but they can overemphasizre the bass. But, I'm partial to that. Highs are very good but not fatiguing.

My $.02.

Good Luck!

Mike

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
How about the $9000 retail NHT VT3 system for $4499 plus $250 freight, no sales tax from a fully authorized dealer? Sealed, NIB with full NHT Warranty. See the reviews on audioreview (good comparisons straight up vs. N803/N802s). Each VT3 tower has dual, powered 10inch subwoofers on board; so you get four 10inch subs with 1000 watts driving them. The external bass controller allows you to connect your prepro's LFE preout "into" these onboard subs.

Your HK Sig amp can handle the rest...basically five VR3s set to "small." HK amps + NHTs = beautiful sound :)

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ull&1046461503

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Paul,

Torsten had emailed me, asking for my advice on speakers. If you guys know of a Paradigm/B&W deal with 50% off NIB/sealed, let him know :) Also, I think that VT3s are better than Studio 100s.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Ricky,
I mis-read your post and typed what I did because I mistakenly thought yours was a dealer post. :b Yes, the NHT deal is a good one. Dug out yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks