Paradigm opinion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry V, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Barry V

Barry V Extra

System now consists of mon 7's v-1, cc350, mini's and pdr10, receiver is yam 1200. Considering replacing 7's with ref 20's, cc center and a pw 2200 and keeping mini's for rears. System is used mainly for HT(80%). Would this configuration work?

thanks

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Though the 20's are better speakers, I think you will be missing the fullness of towers. I would go with the 40's (a few more weeks of savings?)

--

Holadem

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I have the Studio 40s for fronts with the Minis in the rear. They work great. I think your proposed system will be fine.

4. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I agree with Pamela, your system sounds great to me![​IMG]

5. BobPeck

BobPeck Agent

Second (third, fourth?) that on the 20's. I turned my chair around and put my 20's (normally used as rears) for front music listening as a test. Amazing the sound that comes outta there. You'll love it.

The tweeter in the Reference line is amazing (try Mozart's Requiem, you'll notice the difference, easy.)

6. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

80% home theater eh. My system is Studio line 100's up front and 20's in the rear. This system sounds great. I built my father a system with all monitor line gear, and it sounds damn good. Once all the calibration was done on the monitor system I was glad I didn't talk him into the studio line. Now for music thats a different story.

I do agree with the sub upgrade though, go for it. And if you've got the bug go to the reference line.

You won't be dissapointed with anything our thinking about, it just amy not all be needed!

Good luck

7. Barry V

Barry V Extra

that is what I would like to do but actually I have been overruled by the better half. Local dealer loaned me a pair of ref 60's and wife has actually commented on them, and they are not broken in yet. Should I upgrade the sub, the pdr 10 is good but would a 2200 be that much better?

8. Jeff Weight

Jeff Weight Stunt Coordinator

I agree if your going from mon. 7's to studio 20's your going to miss somthing. Personally I'm upgrading from 7's to studio 60's. I believe you should be ok if you keep the cc, and surrounds. But you need to upgrade the sub.

9. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

studio20 for fronts and pw2200 sub is a very good system. if you will set your receiver to "small" for all speakers and sub to "yes", i don't think you are going to miss the low octaves. the pw200 can take care of it.

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Ariel, crossovers are not brickwall. You are going to miss something if you move from a tower to such a small bookshelf. It probably won't blend as well.

--

Holadem

11. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

i think the studio20 is flat to 54hz and -3db down to about 40hz. most receivers have crossovers at 80hz or 90hz with a high pass filter of 12db/octave. assuming that the yamaha has the 90hz crossover point, the studio20 can reproduce enough bass down to about 50hz and at 45hz w/ less 12db, this is already not a big issue anymore. i think that selection of the crossover frequency is important in matching the fronts and sub. for speakers that cannot go lower than 40hz, it is better not to cross them below 80hz.

12. Barry V

Barry V Extra

Local Paradigm dealer does not favor 40's, he says by the time you add stands you might as well by 60's. The only problem with the 60's is the size. We are trying to get away from the closed look that floor standing speakers have, sitting next to a mits 46805 and the equipment rack next to it.

13. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I think your dealer is giving you good advice. The 20's or 40's on stands take up the same amount of real estate as the 60's. Tower speakers almost always offer better bass extension then book small or large book shelves. ANd they will blend much better with your sub.