What's new

Paradigm Monitors vs. B&W 685s (1 Viewer)

CarrollStreet

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hi All,

I've am looking to update a 5.1 set-up that I've had for the past 8 years or so using Paradigm Atoms and the corresponding center and sub. My initial thought was to just go with Paradigm again, but a friend recommended checking out B&W. Of course, I'm familiar with B&W, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience and favored one over the other. Not sure if it matters, but this will be mainly for movies/tv and some music powered by a Yamaha 100w (I think) receiver. Room is about 17' x 11'.

Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is tough for someone else to tell you what you might prefer sound wise, but in my personal opinion, the B&Ws are better than the current Monitors. I'd go listen to the B&Ws and see what you think first. What exactly is the budget? There are plenty of great speakers on the market that can actually give both of those a run for their money as well.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have never heard B&Ws (heard of them but never got to listen to any). For the past 15 years I have been using a set of Monitor 9s and they still sound excellent. I am using a Yamaha RX-V995 as a pre/pro and an Anthem MCA-5 amp. At one time I was using a Paradigm CC-350 and some of their ADP surrounds (the model number escapes me now) along with a Servo 15 to flesh out my HT. A few years ago we rearranged our living room and I decided to eliminate my HT setup and just kept the Yamaha, Anthem, Monitor 9s and Servo 15 which I only use now for music streamed through an AppleTv from my MacBook Pro.

CarrollStreet

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the replies, guys. John, budget is flexible, but I'd like to keep it around $2,500 for everything. I've done some research on other brands, but there are so many in the mid-level price range I've sort of stuck with the names that I know. If you have any recommendations, would love to hear them.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

CMT-340SE mains and center

CBM-170SE surrounds (2x, add 2 more for 7.1)

Sub (without knowing room details yet) I'd opt for the Rythmik F12 in black oak or matte which can be purchased from Ascend as well and it will come in right around $2k for a 5.1 setup (before shipping). Other sub options might be the HSU VTF-3 or SVS PB-2000 or SB-2000, both of which are slightly less expensive.

I've heard that setup with a HSU VTF-3 before at a friend's place and it was a pretty impressive system for that price. Definitely a step up from the Performance line you currently own and a step up from the Paradigm Monitor line; approaching competitiveness with the Studios (but not besting them IMO).

Yes, they're internet direct, but they've also been around for a LONG time in the audio community for a good reason. They offer an in home audition policy as well so if you have time and are ready, maybe test one pair out and see how you like them.

I haven't yet heard the SVS Prime systems, but they've gotten great reviews. I've owned their subs and heard some of their other speakers. Again, good stuff, internet direct. Bookshelf based system with a good sub will still bring you in around $2k (including shipping)

http://www.svsound.com/systems/prime-systems

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks