1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm Monitors or Studio's????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zak Ruck, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Zak Ruck

Zak Ruck Stunt Coordinator

Well, after audioning both of these lines this past weekend, I'm not sure as to which line I'm going to go with. I really liked the Studio 20's, but I'm not sure if i can justify the extra money over the Monitor 5's for Mains. The systems that I'm considering to get are:

Mains: Studio 20's or Monitor 5
    Center: Studio CC or Monitor 370
    Rear/Surround: Not sure yet.

And I'm not sure about the Sub yet either. I'm going to be purchasing the Mains first, then the center. So, I just don't know. What are some opinions????

Thanks,

Zak

2. MattJP

MattJP Agent

I went with the Monitor 5's over the Studio 20's...I auditioned both extensively. Many probably think that I am crazy...but I liked the 5's better for my HT usage. I do plan on getting the Studio 20's or 40's for my "Music Room" though...probably sometime this summer.

I just upgraded my HT and I am running
    Monitor 5 mains
    cc370
    Titan rears
    SVS PCi 25-31 @ 22hz
    HK 325

Are there better systems out there...ya, but on my budget I feel that I got the best equipment that I could reasonably afford...and I am very happy.

Just thought that I would add...phsycologically I wanted the Studio 20's...and they definately had the edge when listening to Acoustic style music...but when I closed my eyes and had someone switch the speakers back and forth side by side...I preferred the "cheaper" Monitor 5's....go figure.

For what its worth.
    -Matt

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I am about to purchase a pair of music speakers for the multi room on my Denon 3803. In my main HT, I have Mini Monitors, CC-370, Titans and a PS-1000. I am debating on the Minis, 5s and 20s for music only. My store does not stock the 5s, so I can not listen to them first. Also know that I am under a budget crunch. I have the money, but don't want to waste it if it is not really worth it. I actually have convinced myself back down to the Minis. I have the Minis in my main system, and love them. The 20s are better, but no where near twice as good. I don't think there will be a big enough improvment to go up to the 5s. The Minis are great performers, but a little bright for some music. In the end, I just couldn't justify the $500 difference to go up to the 20s.

If you have the money, the 20s are better. But for HT, the Minis are sufficient, and a lot cheaper.

I am also interested in other opinions.

4. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

I think that your planned usage of HT vs. music is an important consideration. The studio 20's are far better for music than the monitors. For HT music reproduction is not as critical a factor, though it should still be a consideration. The biggest difference for HT with the studio line is that the studio center is superior to the monitor center.

If you will be using your system for HT more than music then the monitors might be sufficient for your usage and the decision comes down to whether or not you want to spend the extra money on the studio 20's.

5. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I agonized over a similar decsion. I listened to the Monitor 5s, Monitor 7 and Studio 40s (they had no 20s).

I ended up picking the 7s. I had floor standers but was not set either way with my new speakers. I listened to the 5s and the 7s first. The 7s while quite a bit bigger have a real adavntage in bass for HT use. I use a sub so that was not the deciding pint. 2 main things made me pick the 7s. 1st they are more efficient than the 5s by a couple db and because I have only 80 watt Denon 1603 I wanted efficiency. The ohter was that although the 5s are less expensive by the time you add a good set of stands the difference in price becomes very small. If you have the space check out what the TOTAL price of 5s and stand are vs 7s.

The 40s were amazing. Not quite as much bass as the 7s but better everwhere else. I WISH I could have gotten them but they are a lot more expensive and a lot less efficient (the 20s are even less efficient so be careful to pair them with a good powerful amp or you might be dissapointed). If you have the POWER and listen to music the 20s are the ticket.

It sounds like most of us you have budget considerations also. For HT the 20s NEED a sub so add that as an expense. Also the Studio center is ALOT more expensive than the 370. So a 20s and Studio center setup will be quite a bit more than a Monitor 370.

For me I decided I'd rather divide my budget up to get a (I think) great sub Paradigm PW 2200 and the monitor 7s and 370 than have 20s, (and stands) plus the the Studio center. I would have had no $ left over and would have had to stick with my old PDR 12 sub.

Only you can decide of course but do your self a favor and check out the 7s and think about the SUB or 5s and a sub rather than blowing all your dough on the very nice 20s.

6. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

I went through this last year. I was trying to decide between the Monitor 11 ver. 3 + CC-370 vs. the Studio 60 + Studio CC. I initially brought home the Monitor 11's but ended up trading up to the Studio's.

The Monitor line is a fantastic value. The Studio's are a bit more refined for music but for HT I think you'll be quite pleased with the Monitor 7's. The only area where the Studio's kill the Monitor's is the Center Channel. I felt that the Studio CC was a BIG step up from the CC-370.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

7. Zak Ruck

Wow, some very good points here. I guess I'm about 60% HT and 40% music. I'm just starting to play a bit more music lately. Trying to rebuild a decent music collection, and my wife is starting to listen as well.

I'll have to go out and audition the Monitors again against the 20's. The 20's just sound so nice, I don't know if i can not get them. Also I did not audition the Center channels, so I'll have to do that as well. My thought for now was to just get the fronts, then a nice sub, then the center, and finally the rears. But with the price difference, I might just wind up getting the monitors. But the dealer I went to gave me a pretty good number for the 20's. So we'll see. What is the price different between the Studio CC and the Monitor 370???

Thanks again,

Zak

8. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Well:

I'll give you guys my 2 cents for what its worth. I didn't like the monitor series when auditioned at a dealer in Columbus. I think back on it now (I really didn't understand what Paradigm had to offer then) and I think the shop must have set up the speakers poorly.

Cause I know everyone here loves the monitor series. So, when I demoed the Studio Line (that's all this dealer carries) I loved the 40s and they were in my price range.

Without boring you with the whole story, I had a chance to demo side by side the CC-370 v3 and the Studio CC at home.

I was just going to save $100 bucks and get the 370. But, I noticed a timber difference with the 40s. Anyway when I brought the Studio home - the timber difference was gone.

The timber difference exhibited itself by just an ever so slight pitch difference in the upper register. I could clearly hear it (I'm a long time trumpet player) . Both speakers were new out of the box with no breakin. It was enough that I noticed and it was annoying...but I have a good ear - my wife couldn't tell. Not sure others would notice either.

Now other than that - I really couldn't tell the difference between the v3 370 and the Studio CC. Imaging was very good on both, bass extension was good.... After 3 weeks I think the CC is breaking in and I'm starting to get better and better sound.

The Studio Line weighs a lot more that's the only other difference. Price difference - I think is about $100 - $120 bucks.

So what's the moral of this diatribe? I'd try to stick with a center channel in the same line of Paradigm speakers.

Good Luck Zak! I really do love my 40s.

Mike

9. Dan Workman

Dan Workman Extra

Zak -
    Don't know how far it would be for you, but a roadtrip to Canada might make your decision easier since you could probably get the 20's for less than what you would pay for 5's in the U.S. If you're interested, do a search to see what prices others have been able to get in Canada.

I have also been torn between the 5's and 20's as mains and have decided to make a trip north (it's only about 3 hrs for me) and I will be getting the 20's, along with the Studio CC and Mini-Monitors as surrounds just as soon as funds will allow. I'm planning on getting an SVS sub also, but not sure yet which one will best fit my setup.

10. Zak Ruck

Dan,

Thanks for hte advice. I'd love to take a trip up north, but I'm near Philly, so I think to get to Canada would be about 6-8 hours at least. Let me know if you make a trip up there and what the prices were. But with all the gas money, food, lodging, is it still worth it?

11. Paul Bryan

Paul Bryan Agent

I live in the Detroit area, so Canada was only about a hour's drive... I purchased Studio/60's, a Studio/CC, and a PW-2200. Saved over $900 US on the package, vs. what I was quoted by a dealer on the US side. The guy in Canada says that he regularly gets customers from as far away as Colorado and Tennessee.

It seems that a good rule of thumb is that you should be able to get Paradigm in Canada for the same numerical value as in the US. For Example my Studio/60's were about $1200 CDN and the US dealer wanted $1200 US. Plus you get all your taxes back from the Canadian purchase (GST in cash at the border, PST/RST by mail if you spend >$600 CDN). So If I bought the 60's in the US I would have paid $1200 * 6% sales tax = $1272, in Canada I paid $1200 CDN * ~.667 exchange = $800 US and no tax! So just a pair of Studio/60's save's $472 US dollars... That should more than pay for gas and lodging! Oh yeah, and there is no Duty on Canadian made products on your way back to the US, thanks to NAFTA [​IMG]

Also, the Canadian dealer had all the Paradigm stuff in stock, which was a real plus, he had all the Monitor's and all the Studio's and every sub from the PS-10 to the Servo-15, so I could listen to all my options (they had a really good selection of B&W as well) The US dealer only had 3 or 4 of the Monitor's and only the Studio/60. So Canada won for me all the way around... I'm sure I'll be going back for more in the future.

Hope this helps,
    --Paul

12. Zak Ruck

WOW, that is a bit of a savings!!! Can I buy them from a Canadian store, and have them shipped to me for that price?

13. Paul Bryan

Paul Bryan Agent

I highly doubt it... I think Paradigm mandates that all their speaker be sold in person, no mail order...

14. Zak Ruck

Bummer. I just checked mapquest, and I think the closest large Canadian city is Toronto, which is around 500 miles away. Since my car gets 27mpg, with an average fuel cost of around $1.80 lets say, that about $70 worth of fuel. I'd have to buy the 20's and center channel to get the best savings.

15. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Zak you have email

16. Zak Ruck

James, Thanks for the mail. I'll let you know if I get it as our gateway is down at work and that's the address I use.