Paradigm Monitor3 as CC, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Steve_Wingman, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Steve_Wingman

I recently auditioned the Paradigm CC370 and thought that it was very "harsh" sounding. Any one have any thoughts on using a Monitor 3 for a center since the 8" driver will match up with the Monitor 9's? Paradigm's catalog shows magnashield is available for this speaker. Any CC370 owners out there?
    -Steve

2. DerrikW

DerrikW Stunt Coordinator

The monitor 3's will actually sound better than a 370 would, IMO. Like others have said using exact speakers all the way around is the best way to do it, and with the monitor 9's, the monitor 3 is the closest you are going to get to it without using another 9. I currently have monitor 7's up front with a cc-370, I actually wish I would have gotten another pair of mini monitors instead of a 370 to use as a center. Out of sheer boredom one day I decided to hook up my mini monitors in parallel as a center and it sounded better IMO, much clearer.

3. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I could be wrong but I would go with a CC-370 or a Monitor 5

The Monitor 3 has an 8" bass/midrange which I hear is somewhat sloppy with midrange. Natural midrange is practically the most important part of a center speaker. I think a Mini-Monitor, CC-370 or Monitor 5 would be a better choice.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Was this 370 broken in(50-100hrs)? With what electronics? Do you have a place to get a single Monitor 3? I have a friend using a single Mini as a center and it sounds good. I have no complaints about my 370. I don't see how the 370 could sound harsh compared to the 9s, since it has the identical tweeter.

5. Steve_Wingman

The CC370 that I demoed was probably well broken in. But the listening room that the CC's were setup in was very live that may have attributed to the harsh sound at high volume.
    I think they were using a Yamaha amp for the demo and so am I. Anyone else noticed midrange problems in the Monitor3 Ver3?
    -Steve

6. John Garcia

John
    The V2 monitor 3 had lower midrange issues, but the V2 was front ported and the V3 is rear. I think the change in x-over, tweeter, and cabinet will make the V3 a bit better than the V2, but I have not felt the need to audition them.

I've always found Yamaha's to be on the bright side, so you may see if you can audition it with something else or the best test is to see if they will lend you one to try in your own system.

7. Steve_Wingman

John, I read on the forums that the Monitor 9 Ver2 had a similar sound issue. That is probably why they changed the bass driver to carbon composite from the poly. All that I know is that I liked the sound of the 9 over even the Studio. The Monitor 9 was a little boomy when auditioned on the Dennon in store (room acoustics?)so I figured that my Yamaha's brightness would mellow it out and at home in my setup and it did. I'll check my local dealer and see if they will sell a single and have a listen.
    later,
    Steve

8. John Garcia

John
    IMO, a bright amp should not cure a boomy speaker, this is probably more your room (and proper setup) than at the store. The carbon composite bass drivers are similar to what has been used in the Studios, and I feel this change has improved the Monitors using these drivers quite a bit over the V2s. Lower midrange is much clearer. The M3 still uses a poly mid-bass though.

I have gone back and forth whether to upgrade to the Studio line, and I have even auditioned them in my system. To be honest, I am quite pleased with the performance I am getting out of my 5s though.

9. Steve_Wingman

John, I had dropped into my local dealer on my lunch and asked about them selling separate speakers. They will sell singles but not if they are custom order like a rose nut finish with magnashield. Wait on the Studio upgrade! The new Studios Ver.3's are coming out shortly. The dealer couldn't tell me what the changes will be for the V3's but he guessed at least a driver & cross over change similar to what Paradigm did to the Monitors. I expect we'll see them in the fall here in Canada.
    later,
    Steve