What's new

Paradigm Monitor vs. Studio (1 Viewer)

Tim_Sim

Auditioning
After reading many opinions and listening to many speakers, I am about to take the plunge into a Paradigm system. My budget will keep me in the Monitor line, but the store will allow a full trade in for 18 months.

I will buy the Monitor 7's and CC370 for now and make use of some existing speakers for surrounds. Plan to get an SVS sub later.

How much discount should I expect to get? I will but a Denon 2805 with them if they will match Tweeter's price. Will the fact that I buy a receiver with the system help to discount the speaker price?

Hope to afford to upgrade to comparable Reference speakers in a year and a half. Any of you Monitor 7 owners move up or are you happy enough with the speakers you bought?:) :)

wes18

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Thinking we go to the same place !! I live in Naperville. I don't know if we can provide store names so I won't. I had the Monitor 7's for a year and upgraded to the Studio 20's, CC470, and corresponding ADPs. I have a Yamaha rxv1200. I could tell a noticeable difference in my house between the speakers.

In terms of dealing, if you don't ask you won't get it. To each his own in that dept !!

Tim_Sim

Auditioning
Mark. Thanks for the input. Do you feel you have enough power with that receiver for speakers. The input I have received is if I upgrade I should think about more power (like the Denon 3805).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have been a happy Monitor 7 owner for over 6 years now. IMO, the 7 is the best in the Monitor line. I am sure the 2805 will be enough power for the Monitor series; not sure about the Reference series.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
In terms of what you can expect to pay:

10% right off the bat.
15% with a little effort on your part
20%+ with a lot of negotiating on your part

Use the fact that you're willing to buy the receiver from them rather than Tweeter to help, as well as your intent to upgrade to the Studio line with them sometime within the next year.

Bill

cabreau

Second Unit
Listen to Bill Blank. I'll be surprised if you get more than 15% off though...but who knows. Aren't those Studios awesome?

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Monitor 7s, CC370s and the ADP370s in June. I feel I got a good deal. I had to do some talking to get it though. I got the whole set for $1308 US. They originally started at $1925 US. I can get the individual prices if you want.

Oh yeah...I am very happy with them too!

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Frank,
That's incredible. The MSRP for that set is $1857 and your deal was nearly 30% off retail! Were they all v.3 and New speakers (not demos)? Was this your first purchase or are you a long standing customer? Maybe your dealer was slow to implement the price increases that went across the whole Paradigm line last March.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was a good deal too! LOL. I required them to order me brand new (not demo) v3 models. I bought a big screen from them a few years ago. That may have helped. I also paid in cash (That was they're requirement). There is another A/V store a few miles from my town that may sell them to you for that price without the heavey dealings. Maybe they would ship some out of state? Let me know if you want their #.

Tim_Sim

Auditioning
Frank,

That is a great deal. I am waiting for the V4 Monitor 7's to come in to listen to them, but I would like to know the individual prices. My salesman told me the prices did not go up for the V4 from the V3.

Mark,

I listened to the Studio 60's yesterday. Very nice sound. I was thinking of these speakers when I asked about power from your receiver. I like the idea of a floor standing speaker, but what's your opinion of starting with Monitor 7's/CC370 vs. Studio 20's/CC470?
The mains are close in price, and i'm not sure of the difference in centers. I haven't heard the Studio 20's.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Frank,
Thanks, but I just got my full 5.1 Paradigm setup recently. First system for me, so its very entry level..Atoms/CC-170/ADP-170/PDR-10...so far I'm very satisfied with it.

I would love to go to Monitor line or better someday. If I do, it will be the Mini's or the 7's for sure.

wes18

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Tim,

I noticed an immediate difference in the centers. So did wife and she's not into the stuff. If you are debating, ask to bring them home on weekend and try them out. If you don't know, recommend going with the monitors and see if you like them. You can always trade up. You can't trade down.

Mark

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Yung,

I am sure you will be happy with your Paradigms. I have not personally heard the Atoms, but have read that they sound great for thier price range!

Tim,

I dug up my reciept and it looks like the Monitor 7s were $429, the CC370 was $329, and the ADP370s were $549.

A good choice in waiting to get a SVS. I bought a SVS20-39PCi last year around Christmas. It sounds awesome paired up with my Paradigms and my Yamaha reciever.

Good luck on your purchasing!

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I got my Monitor V.3 for $600 and no tax local. My CC-370 for $300 no tax local. all this about a year ago or longer ?

have re-used my JBL N24II speakers for surrounds and do just fine and bought an SVS 25_31PC+ sub about a year ago.

only complaint is I think the tweeters on the monitors are a bit harsh. just a bit though. they could have been better for what the quality of the rest of the speakers is which is very nice.

I have been using my old Onkyo for quite sometime and it pushes these speakers no problem. I can get the db's quite high without any distortion that I can hear. my onkyo is a TX-DS494. gota say its done me quite well over the years. got that for $150 demo at CC quite a while ago.

cabreau

Second Unit
Yung, that is a great setup - it's the same as my first setup (with the exception that I had Atoms in the back). Honestly, thinking back, I would not have upgraded to the Studio 20's if I didn't have "upgraditis". They were all the sound I'd ever need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks