Paradigm Monitor Series owners, what receivers do you use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new receiver in the coming months and I want to know what receivers you Paradigm monitor series owners are using. Also give your feedback on if you like your receiver as well.

Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Marantz SR6200 with Mini Monitors. I'm extremely happy with both.

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I'm currently on a set of Monitor 5v.2 for mains, powered with a Harman/Kardon AVR-320. Zero complaints. Also, I spent some time auditioning a pair of Reference Studio 40s with the same receiver and the HK had absolutely no problems either. In fact, the Monitor 5s reached their limits well before the receiver did (the Studio 40s had much better power handling) on Patricia Barber's Nightclub album (Track 1, Bye Bye Blackbird, volume set to -15, channel level at -2, running large).

4. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I have used 3 receivers with my monitor series speakers. A Yamaha 596, Marantz 8200, and Denon 3802.

Stay far away from the Yamaha (way too bright sound for me).

The Marantz sounded great, but was returned due to a few design flaws.

I currently have the Denon 3802 and I am quite happy with it. It has a warm sound and can play at loud levels very clearly.

5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Marantz SR-7000 with Paradigm Monitor 9's.

6. Shane G

Shane G Agent

Getting a little dated, but still able to hold its own.

Denon 3300, Monitor 70P's, CC300, PW2200 subwoofer.

Quality DAC's on all eight channels vastly improved the sound from the my CD player using the optical connection. Analog By-pass mode(Direct), Eight channel external inputs allows for future multi-channel music formats(SACD & DVD Audio), 5 Channel stereo

If I were looking for new, some features I would want are;

1)adjustable subwoofer crossover

2)seperate equalizer for all channels

3)multiple digital inputs and outputs

4)multiple sub-outs

A little food for thought.

7. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

I have Monitor 9s up front along with a CC-350 center, ADP-170 surrounds, a pair of Atoms as my surround back channels and a PW-2200 subwoofer all powered by a Denon 3802 (I used to have a Yamaha RX-V793 before the Denon). I haven't had any complaints with the sound quality with this combination.

8. Glen_T

Glen_T Auditioning

Denon 3802 powering...

Monitor 7 v2 Fronts,

CC370 Center,

ADP370 Surrounds and

Mini Monitor v2s bring up the rear.

All Paradigm system sounds great with movies and music. Doesn't hurt to live in Canada for the great prices.

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

2pr Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC350/PS1000

My fist receiver was a Yamaha RX-V495, which was an excellent little beast compared to what I had before(Sony SAV-10 DPL). Was a little on the bright side, though this was only noticeable when I got a Denon 1801(smooth). Currently I'm running a Marantz AV560U Pre/Pro / Rotel RMB-1066(6x60) Amp.

Kevin

10. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Well originally my setup was going to be

Onkyo 595

Monitor 7's

Mini Monitors (surrounds)

CC370

sub -undecided

The Monitor 7's were undecided too as I was thinking of getting minis all around but I figured I may always be thinking what if , if I didn't get the 7's so I have my mind set on 7's

In any case I can't get the 595 so I am waiting for it's replacement in April

11. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Eric-

That is the exact same setup I'm going get when I get some money.

Onkyo 600

Monitor 7's

MOnitor Mini's

CC-370

Please let me know how it turns out when you get it!

12. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Hey Paul,

Ok I won't be getting my stuff until April sometime but if that is sooner than you I will let you know. I haven't heard the Monitor 7's with thhe 595 or the mini monitors setup the way I will have it but I did hear the 7's and minis and they sound great. This is going by what I heard in the store of course and at home it will sound different but I think it's a safe bet they will sound great regardless.

13. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of monitor 7s and an HK 520. They sound good together but the HK has some serious DTS bass Manegment issues. Read my other post for more info.

14. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

15. Marlon

Marlon Agent

Fronts: Mini Monitors

Surrounds: ADP-170

Center: CC-370

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX

(sub is kinda crappy so I won't mention it)

This combo works for me, for the time being.

16. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I am a former owner. Does that count?

I was running Monitor 7s, CC350, Minis and a Sunfire sub off a Denon 3200 (how's that for dated) and loved it.

I have since upgraded. I listened to the Reference line and eventually found my way to a line up from Vienna Acoustics.

The Paradigm's are now with a friend of mine and he is running them off a Denon 1602. He loves them also.

17. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Agent

I am running the 9seMk3for the mains(the model before
    Paradigm started just calling them monitor 9s)and a CC
    300 for the center,with ADP 250s on rears with a Yamaha
    2095.I've been quite happy with it except I found it slightly brite with some music.Right now I've hooked the pre-outs of the 2095 to a Krell 5 channel amp and know I must go the separates route.[​IMG]The Krell amp is so much faster than the Yamahas amps and really makes these Paradigms sound alive.I was astonished at the difference I heard and mind you the 2095 isn't exactly a slouch.But all in all Yamahas sound pretty decent with Paradigms.The 2095 was my second Yamaha with these Paradigms.The first being a RXV-870.Like I said though, I find Yamahas sound to be a tad brite in general.I think the Denons will sound ok,but might be a bit too warm with Paradigms.Of course this just becomes a subjective thing.The best bet is to be able to audition the equipment in your home.Many local shops do this.Good luck