Paradigm monitor series, difference between version 1,2, and m3k

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Nov 7, 2001.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm in the market for some monitors and was wondering what the differences were between the different versions. I don't know much about Paradigm because there is only one dealer even close to me and I've only been there once. Can someone please help out.
    Thanks!

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Are the M3K's the older version?

3. PhilWang

PhilWang Auditioning

Jeff,
    I think you may be referring to the Mk3 series from Paradigm. They were replaced by the Monitor v1 series about three years ago. The 7seMk3 would've been the equivalent of the current Monitor 7. The main difference is that the Mk3 series used an one inch fabric dome tweeter versus the titanium domes currently used in the Monitor series. Not sure about the differences between the Monitor v1 and v2.
    hope this helped,
    Phil

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Phil already ccommented on the Mk3's.
    The differences between the v1 and v2 Monitors is primarily that the v2s can handle more power. Other than that I think the specs are pretty much the same. Except for the Monitor 90Ps, which have the built-in subwoofers. IIRC, the 90Pv1s have a 140 watt amp and the 90Pv2s have a 175 watt amp.
    ------------------
    Dan

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    So do the V1 and V2 perform the same? Which ones are better/preferred?

6. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The current series, the v2 series, has been changed subtly. Paradigm has tailored them more for use with a subwoofer. Recognizing that the majority of people use these speakers with subwoofers in an HT setup, they were tailored for that use.
    The previous v1 series will offer a bit more in the low end because of this. The v2 series doesn't seem to go quite as low since they are assuming use of a sub. Don't be fooled though - you don't need a sub and the v2 series has a nice clean bass. I am particularly fond of the Monitor 11.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I think other than a few refinements to the v2 the only other difference is the crossover has been changed(1.8 to 2.0)
    Kevin

8. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Not to confuse the issue but there is a new V.3 series of the Paradigm performance series just shipping out to dealers now.
    I don't know if or when there will be a V.3 version of the Monitor and Reference series though.