Paradigm Monitor or Studio ??? Front & CC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin*Harley, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Decided to come out of the audio dark ages but find myself overwhelmed with # of products available. I was able to get the Denon 3803 at cost; unfortunately I have no contacts for speakers. I am not an audiophile but I do appreciate higher quality sound (within reason). Most importantly I don’t want to outgrow my speakers in the next couple years. Primary use will be 60% HT / 40% Music.
    I budgeted @ $1000 for front and center speakers and was impressed with Paradigm Monitor 5 and CC-370. My old Infinity satellites will be my surrounds for the next few months until my wife warms up to a Sub and larger speakers to hang on the wall.
    I have not heard the Studio line and curious for feedback on the Studio 20’s and Studio CC. Will I be disappointed that I didn’t spend the extra $.

I am new to your world and very open to your advice, input or alternative set-ups in that price range.

Thanks in advance.

2. Adarsh Daswani

For anything more than 20% stereo audio listening, I would recommend the Studio line. I do about 60% music/40% HT and went for the Studio/60's with Studio/20's in the rear. For me, there was a world of difference in the quality of the midrange between the Studio line and the Monitor line.

I'm no audiophile, but I'd consider myself an audio enthusiast.

Since you're also open to other options, I'd consider the Studio/40's up front instead of the 20's. I do think for main speakers, it's money well-spent.

-A.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I am about 70 music/30 HT, and I have 5s and a 370 as my front stage. I am quite happy with the setup, but the Studios are a noticable step up, and I would say it would be worth the extra $$. I got a deal on my 5s that I just could not pass up, or I might have held out for some other speakers. When I move up, there is a good chance I will not step up to Studios though. Were I to go Studios, I would go with 40s up front.

A brand I would recommend in the same price range, but a step up in terms of musical performance vs the Monitor line: Axiom. Also for music, B&W's 600 series are quite good (though I prefer the CDM line), and are definitely worth a listen.

If/when I decide to allocate the funds to new speakers, they will almost certainly be from these guys: GR Research

4. Kevin*Harley

What should I expect to pay for 20's/40's?
    Did you go with Paradigm PW-2200?

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The studio series is very nice, and but the monitor series is ALSO very nice. Either way you'll be happy. The studios are much pricier, the 20s are like 800 i beleive, wheras the mini-monitors start off at 350. I have a pair of mini-monitors that I may trade-in towards studios at some point this year. Just go in and listen, and see if it's worth it to you for the better sound. For me (much more music than HT), I think it will be an important difference. Still, for the time being, I am EXTREMELY happy with the monitor series, and I'm a student so my budget is small. You can listen to the B&W 600 series, but I liked the paradigms better, and they are cheaper. If your dealer has a trade-in policy, you might want to take advantage of that too.

6. Kevin*Harley

John, the Axiom M22ti and VP150 look like a great deal. Can you only order direct? I live in So. CA and haven't seen them anywhere. Have you personnaly heard them?

7. ColtonA

ColtonA Stunt Coordinator

I can get you Studio 20's BRAND NEW for $600...I as well can get you any other paradigm product drasticaly cheaper then what you would pay retail...all new...

8. ColtonA

ColtonA Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, you got PM!

9. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

Get the Studio series. Even if you wouldn't be able to buy a center now. Always sink most of your money around the main speakers and build around those. I'd rather get 2 great speakers that will last me 8yrs rather than 5 speakers that will last two, before I yearn to upgrade.

the Studio 20s are killer. If I had to build a budget system, I'd get two pairs, and use three across the front.

10. Bob Goodrich

Bob Goodrich Agent

I've been shopping/comparing recently and hit a high end shop in LA to check out Paradigm Studio 100's. After spending a couple of hours with them, on my way out the door I checked some Monitor towers and the Studio 60's. The 60's blew the socks off everything IMHO. It was set up with a small, 8 inch I think, sub and sounded terrific. Wise for the shop to keep them separated from their big brother 100's. For me the defining difference between the Monitors and Studios is midrange clarity. My subjective $.02.

11. Dan KW

Dan KW Agent

The studio's are much better IMO than the monitor line. I bought the 20's after comparing them to many of the bookself currently available. Give the 20's a listen, it's the only way you'll be sure.

12. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I've got Monitor 9s, CC-370, and ADP-370s. I love them, but I'm also disappointed that I didn't go with the Studio Series. I'm thinking about making a switch in the very near future.

If you can I would suggest going with the Studio series. I'd take the 20s over my monitor 9s if I were to do it again. I was particularly struck with the increased clarity and a more controlled top-end. You will be happy either way.

13. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for you to step up to the 20's and studio center if your budget allows. The monitor line is no slouch but the studios are definitely a step up. When I bought my HT I was all set on getting mini monitors all around and a cc-370 center. Then I asked to demo the 20's just to see how they sounded. Once I heard the 20's it was goodbye monitors. Unfortunately it messed with my budget and I had to go down to the atoms for my surrounds and downgrade from a Denon 3802 to a 2802. Some day I'll have to replace those atoms but it was worth the surround and receiver downgrade to get the 20's.

14. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I thought this would be a good place to ask this question instead of making a new post. Are the Studio series speakers aimed more at music than movies? I've got my eye on the Studio 60's, CC, ADP, and 20's.

15. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

The Studio's are so worth the money over the monitors. If my friends wife could tell, that says something. He has the monitors I have the Studios. I would say the Studio 20's with the Studio CC center and a sub (PW2200)will sound incredible[​IMG] I paid $500 for the 20's in veneer finish and $370 for the Studio CC center. I got the PW 2200 for $608.But the Studio require more power then the Monitors.

16. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] Shameless plug here

See my ad in the Hardware for Sale/Trade area http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=104877

I have the Studio 60's Version2 in Rosenut real wood for sale. If you care about aesthetics, these are gorgeous. The wood is a $400 upgrade over the standard laminate finish at retail. So they are $1600 MSRP. I am now offering them at $1000 (and no tax to pay).

Kevin, I am also in Southern CA (in north part of Orange County), so if you are interested, let me know. I have a predessesor of the AVR-3803, the AVR-3300 hooked up, so if you would like to check them out, I would be happy to show them to you.

More in line with this thread, I have also listened to some Axiom speakers - the much heralded Axiom M3Ti (slightly smaller version of the M22). These are great speakers for the price. The difference between them and the Paradigm Studios is the Studios are a little smoother sounding and have better bottom and top extention, and they have better power handling capabilities. The M3Ti's will begin to compress and sound overly bright at high volumes. But for the price, they are pretty amazing. I would liken them very much to the Monitor line. I would even go so far as to say I like the Axioms better. If you're a bargain hunter, then the Axioms are it. I don't hesitate to recommend them. If you want your speakers to make a statement in your room and give that extra bit of fidelity, then the Studios are it.

One more note regarding the Studio line: The Studio Center channel is regarded as one of the best centers anywhere, and it retails for only $500. Compared to many other much pricier centers, this is Paradigm's true bargain.

17. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Hi, i would recommend the studios over the monitors....check them out before buying.....visit as many stores as you can...

18. FarhadB

FarhadB Auditioning

I just looked at Paradigm website. I could not find studio line. Please refer me to the right spot. Thanks.

19. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

FarhadB,

In the upper right of their website, there is a box that says "Paradigm Reference Product" Just click on that box.

20. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

The Studios are much more expensive than the Monitors, so they'd better sound better [​IMG]

If you can afford the Studios, go for it.