Paradigm Monitor 9s (rosenut) to Studio 40s...prices/worth?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe Hsu, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

So yeah, today I dropped by the local audio store, Pecars, and wanted to know how much they would do Studio 40s for (I love my Monitor 9s, but lugging them back home from campus was a bitch, and I'd rather not go through that again...and plus, the studio's are niiiiiice [​IMG]), and the guy told me $799. What prices are offered by you? The guy said they matched other stores' prices...

Other than that, how much are my v.2 Monitor 9s in rosenut worth? They're 9 months old with absolutely no damage, no scratches (took me like 15 minutes to put them back in their original boxes to bring back home). I guess I could try ebay or here, but I'd need to know how much the difference is first...

Lastly, can I drive the Studio 40s adequately with my H/K 320, since I won't buy an amp til the end of summer?

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The H/K will easily drive the 40s. FWIW, you can get a very good deal on Paradigms in Canada...

3. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I just replaced my Monitor 9 v.2s with Studio 40s as well. I sold the 9s for $525 and I bought them for $600 new about 9 months ago as well. I ended up getting 40s from Canada and I got them for about $800-$850 canadian (I don't recall exactly now). My local dealer wouldn't budge on MSRP so I had to go where the deals were!

I'm driving my 40s with an Onkyo 797 receiver and I'm very happy with the upgrade. I would also like to add a better amp when I can, but I encourage you to do the upgrade as well, you'll be very happy![​IMG]

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

850CDN (580US) sounds about right in Canada. MSRP here is 1100CDN for laminate, and most dealers I've spoken with do 20-25% off.

Would it be worth the drive to save a couple of hundred?? Warranty work won't be covered by your local dealer if you consider it.

You're pretty close to Sarnia:
    St. Claire Stereo
    and Windsor:
    Live Wire Audio

are both Reference Dealers

5. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

hehe, thanks all, I'm quite aware of the blessings of Canada...I just wanted to know what the worth of my speakers are before I consider trading up/down...$600US would be great if I could sell these 9s for $500. [​IMG]

Now I just need a buyer...but then I also have to buy stands, since they're not floor standing...

And I guess I can't really move on until my DIY sonosub is built...no low end would kill me, even if the 40s are adequate down that low..

Thanks for the input thus far, keep it coming!! (Anybody near/windsor know who does trade ins, and how much mine might get?)

6. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Get the Premier stands for the 40's when you make the deal. Picked mine up for 150CDN and they list for 199USD. They are very solid, can be filled and have spikes top and bottom (removeable). 2 different heights available.

Sell the 9's in the US and head across the line for Canuck prices [​IMG] . Check what they are going for on ebay.

Better hurry, the Canadian dollar is up 10% against US this year and expected to go higher.

7. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

$850CDN is a good price for the 40's. The Store price for the 20's is $799 so with some haggling the 40's should be $850-900 range.

8. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

wow.....man, you all should stop (don't), before you get my hopes up too high.

So ideally, I sell my 9s for, say, $500, and then buy new 40's for $700USD with stands......sounds good to me! (ahhhh, pun) [​IMG]

9. Ben Stern

Ben Stern Stunt Coordinator

I purchased some Studio 40's v2 in the fall of 2001 at Sound City, in New York City. I paid $750 per pair. I drive mine with a Denon 3802 receiver. The Paradigms are easy to drive to ear bleedingly loud (and clean) levels, if that's what you desire. I like these speakers so much, I now own 5 of them. That's not a misprint. I use a second pair for my surrounds and a single one for my center channel.

10. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Well I can only afford so much now...hopefully at the end of summer I'll be able to do my usual "I-have-money-now-let's-blow-all-of-it-on-hardware". [​IMG]

I'm still wondering, what is the worth of my Monitor 9s?