Paradigm Monitor 9's for $215????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew S, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I'm a poor 16 year old student with about 300 or so dollars in my account. I ran across some paradigm monitor 9 speakers on a local classified ad website that my dad runs for $215 with stands. They would be replacing old Sony tower speakers (with enclosures that seem to be like 1/8 of an inch thick)
    If the Paradigms are in good condition (which the seller claims they are) would it be a good purchase on my part?
    And if I audition them, is there anything I should listen for in used speakers?
    Thanks
    Andrew

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

First of all, Paradigm Monitor 9's are floor standing speakers, so the shouldn't have stands with them in the first place. Sounds fishy to me...

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I'm wondering if they aren't really Monitor 3's... Still, a pair of Monitor 3's will be a vast improvement over the Sony's. If they're advertised on a local classified site, you should be able to go take a look at them.

4. Andrew S

The actual ad says Paradigm 9-S floorstanding speakers - with stands, which I guess seems a bit odd as Paul has pointed out. I guess it still wouldn't be a waste of time to look at them.
    Thanks for the input

5. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Those must be the old 9Se from about ten years ago. They have 2 8" woofers and a tweeter.
    If they are in good shape and working, I'd say snap them up. You could easily resell them a few years from now for the same price.

6. Andrew S

Mark,
    You're absolutely correct there...
    I called the seller about and he said that he bought them about ten years ago and they've been in storage for about 8 years since he moves a lot. He also said that the mentioned stands are small 6" metals stands that tilt the speaker...
    Still dunno what I'm going to do.. I'm really stingy with my money.. I'll just have to decide...
    Thanks,
    Andrew