paradigm monitor 7's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by claudio, Aug 31, 2003.

1. claudio

claudio Auditioning

Anyone who has paradigm monitor 7's please let me know how well they perform. Right now I have a 34 inch widescreen hdtv sony. I also have a sony 80 watt per channel stereo receiver. Can it drive these speakers?? Right now I am using bose( cubes). I want to put them as rears. I need better fronts. I heard them at the store. They are nice. For the money they are awesome. Any one else have something to say on them??

2. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

The monitor line is much more efficient than their studio line. Your sony should be able to run them. I dont think you will get the best sound out of them at high levels, but if you dont listen at ref. levels, you may never know the difference.
    The monitor 7 are a very good deal for the msrp. They are, by no means, the best speaker out there. But, for the price, they are a very sound choice.
    I dont think I would intermix them with that Bose setup. You didnt mention if you will match them with the CC370 or not. I would recommend to do that, and dont consider keeping your Bose center. If you must use the Bose as rears, make this a temporary thing, until you can get the $$ for some Paradigm rears such as the monitor level ADPs or even smaller speakers like the Atoms or Titans.

Just my opinions, your listening tastes will vary.

3. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - and for the price premium that less knowledgeable people pay for Bose, you could sell them and put that money back into some other Paradigms to match!

4. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

i like my mon7. i just wish i they could go louder with out poping.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think you will want a better amp section for Monitor 7s than what Sony provides in it's lower models.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have had mine for 5 years now and have been very pleased. I am using the Yamaha 795 which has about 80 watts per channel, with no trouble at all.

I assume the use of the Cubes for surrounds is a money issue. You might look into the Atoms as surrounds. They are not an exact match to the Monitor series but would be closer than the Bose speakers.

Good luck.

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Claudio - if you live near the SF Bay Area - my few month old Paradigm Monitor 7 v2s (Lt Cherry) - might be up for sale in a few days.

8. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

About a year ago I added a Carver AV-705x amp with 125wpc to my system. I had been using a Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX receiver before that.

The addition of the amp really opened my Monitor 7's up. They sounded much better with more power!!