1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm Monitor 7's - "Large" or "Small" under AVR settings ?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joe Mihok, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I've decided to let my POS Costco sub rot in the cellar. It was so distracting and boomy I would rather it not be in my system at all. I know the best thing to do is go out and buy an SVS but at the moment I don't have the funds (for at least another year). Anyways, I was wondering if it would be a bad thing to set my Monitor 7's as "LARGE" on my Denon reciever ? I tried this last night and it sounded very good compared to my sub. I also decided to also turn off "TONE DEFEAT" and turn up the bass to +6 and is sounded even better. At loud volumes the Monitor's seem to perform very well in the bass dept. The bass is now very natural and not distracing at all.

Basically I was just wondering if I what I had done would have any damaging effects on the Monitor 7's (I know they have a small 6.5" woofer) .....

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

You should set them to large and it will be better than a cheap sub. You wont damage them and I would suggest that you set the Tone Defeat and you will get used to it over time.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you had a sub, I'd say set them to small with the lowest x-over you could set. They will be fine set to large, though I am not a fan of tone adjustments. They are good to ~42Hz, so you will be missing out on much of the bottom octave, but they should be OK set to large, as long as you have enough power to drive them without distortion.

4. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I'm not a fan of tone adjustments either. I thought I would just try increasing the bass for the fun of it ..... and to my suprise it sounded really good. I think i'll just enable "tone defeat" again to be safe.

Kidna off topic, but how cheap do you think I can get an SVS sub for ? I'm coming from a cheap Costo sub so i'm sure anything SVS offers would be an improvment. I have a small room that's about 15x20 ft. I don't listen to my movies or music at insane volumes (maybe just a bit louder than casual lsitening levels) but I would still like a sub that would let me hear/feel bass in the lower 20-50hz level.

5. Nick Breckon

Nick Breckon Stunt Coordinator

Well, you could try the B-stock page on the SVS website for some good deals, or the subwoofer for-sale page here. If that doesn't turn up anything, the 25-31 PCi is their cheapest sub at $550. If you're planning on waiting a while, that should give you some time to find either a used or B-stock sub if money is an issue. Good luck.

6. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

Ignore my previous post, the sub I would probably want is a SVS 20-39PCi. It's $599 and after I convert that to Canadian funds it'll be $796. How much more do do you guys think that'll be after shipping and customs (I live in Edmonton AB CA) ?? I'm just curious .....

EDIT: Thanks for the B-stock suggestion!! [​IMG]

7. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

The Paradigm pw2200 or 2100 or the Adire Rava or Dharman would be great subs that are cheaper here in Canada.

8. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I've always hear people here rant and rave about SVS, so I just assumed everything else out there sucked [​IMG].

The Paradigms are very tempting ... it would be nice to match with the rest of the setup. I guess I'll let my ears (and body) be the judge .... it's just too bad I don't have an SVS to compare to. Anyone know from experience how the pw2100 compares to a lower-end SVS ?

Sorry about going off topic ....

9. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

From what I understand the PW2200 and the 25-31pci are similar in performance. Both quality 12" drivers, Paradigm has more little more power and larger port diameter and the SVS has larger Vb. Paradigm subs arent as good of a deal in the US. You can get the 2200 for about $1000 CDN, the 2100 for about $850 CDN maybe less. You can get the Adire Rava using the Shiva driver from www.creativesound.ca for $600 CDN shipped.

10. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I've got a PW-2200 and love it. If you are in Canada, you can definitely get a good deal on it.

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have Monitor 7s with a sub and I still set the 7s as large.