Paradigm Monitor 7

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor S, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Trevor S

Trevor S Extra

Hello,
    I recently purchased a set of mini monitors and couldn't be happier although I am considering buying the monitor 7 to use as my mains and move the mini's to the rear. I have two questions.
    1) What price have people paid for the Monitor 7's?
    2) My system would consist of mini's for surrounds, monitor 7's as my mains, cc-370 for the centre and a cheaper sub to upgrade later. I would be running them with an Integra 5.2(onkyo 595), does anyone have the similar setup? Does the onkyo have enough power to do the monitor 7's justice, or should I stick with the mini's all the way around.
    Thanks,

2. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

Trevor S.:
    (1)
    I have pretty close to that:
    Mon 7s ver.2
    CC350
    MM rears
    I can't remember the exact price, but I paid (I think) a little over $600 for the 7s. I'll see if I can find the receipt when I get home - not promising anything, my house is a mess. Great speakers though, I am definitely happy with them.
    Where are you in Sask.? If you are looking at Krazy Kiley's in Saskatoon, talk to Vance and tell him Duane Turner sent you - he should give you a good deal.
    (2)
    I think your receiver should be good - my receiver is worse (saving for a new one) and I'm still happy with the M7s. I originally had 4 Mini Monitors and the CC-350. I added the 7s, and moved one pair of MMs to the bedroom. When I get a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver, I will have the spare pair of MMs for the job.
    [Edited last by Duane_T on August 14, 2001 at 11:35 AM]

3. Trevor S

Trevor S Extra

Thanks Duane,
    I bought my mini monitors at Crazy kileys in Saskatoon although not from vance. I forget the guys name at the moment but he gave me a great deal on the mini's (at least I thought so). That would be great if you could find the actual price you paid, but if not no problem. I just want something to aim for.
    Thanks Again,
    [Edited last by Trevor S on August 14, 2001 at 11:37 AM]

4. Duane_T

Not the best for good clean power... a Technics SADX 930. I've been trying to save for something better so that it could go in the bedroom... and it's taking way too long. On 2 channel its alright, but it can run out of jam on 5.

5. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

IMO, these are the best speakers in the Monitor series if you want a "full" range non-active tower. I like the Monitor 5 as well. I find it harder to tame the Monitor 9s boominess in certain situations.
    These were my mains for a long time. They will be my surrounds once my Studio 60s arrive.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I also have Monitor 7's as main and Mini-Monitors as surrounds and really like the combination. Not sure how much power your receiver has, but my Yamaha is rated at 85 watts per channel and that is plenty of power for my Monitor 7's. IMO, you have made a great choice in speakers.
    Interestingly, the salesperson where I bought my Monitor 7's also agreed the 7's were the best in the Monitor series. I was contemplating buying the more expensive 9's, but the salesperson told me the 7's are better.
    [Edited last by Marty M on August 14, 2001 at 06:01 PM]

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I have a friend in Saskatoon who payed just over $600 as well for the Monitor 7 from Krazy Kilie's. I'm not positive but I think it was $630.
    He's powering them with a Marantz SR7000 and is very pleased with them. I really liked them as well. Except that even though they are decently capable towers, things like the 1812 Overture and the like is just too much for them. If you plan on action movie viewing or music with heavy bass I'd recommend a good sub. A PW2200 should fit the bill. Or if you can do the DIY route I love the 260L Tempest I just recently completed (cost was a couple hundred less than the 2200 and it can trounce it).

8. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Hi Trevor,
    I run the Monitor 7's as my front mains, along with a CC350 center, and ADP 350's as rears. I use a Yamaha DSP-A1 with an Analysis Plus shotgun bi-wire of Oval 12/9 (12 for high/9 for low). The 350 is Oval 9 only. WBT 0644 bananas for amp, AP T1 spades for speakers.
    I believe I paid $625. for the 7's. I bought them in a tax free state (NH) so it is my net cost. Jeepers, I paid more for my wire than I paid for the pair of 7's. I like the sound of the 7's ,and the 350, so much with AP wire that my plans to upgrade my speakers has been put off indefinately. Actually, I was planning to upgrade to the 100's, but this combo sounds pretty nice in an HT environment. Some day down the road.
    Anyway, the 7's are a great bargain for what they deliver. I too bought these over the Monitor 9's, based upon the boom I heard with them. The audio dealer really was pushing the Mini Monitor's on me if I recall, but I shocked him when I said the 7's were heads over the Minis. Then again, I walked in from the street and dropped $1500. in twenty minutes. (I had auditioned the whole Paradigm line in another store -- how could he have known this). But I also researched and read up quite a bit before I got serious about making a purchase.
    Anyway, I ramble.
    Good Luck,
    BOK

9. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Hey Trevor, [​IMG]
    You most likely will get the best price possible if you make your purchase at Krazy Kileys/Audiotronics. I have not seen anybody else come close to what they do in regards to pricing.

10. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I almost bought a set of 7s, but decided on 9s. I have a rather large room and the 9s seemed to perform better in the bigger atmosphere. My center is a CC-350 with ADP-170 surrounds and PDR-10 sub. (Looking to upgrade to 2x 12", possibly 2x Servo 15 on the front and move the 10 to the rear surround.)
    I paid about $850 for the 9s. I think the 7s were $650 or so.
    ------------------
    Yes, but are they high-quality balloons? ~ David Letterman

11. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I bought a pair of Monitor 7's and the cc370 about two months ago and I couldn't be happier. I'm running them on a Denon 1801 with 70 watts per channel in a fairly small room and it is more than loud enough for me. I still haven't made it all the way past the break in point but they have really started to warm up nicely since I first brought them home. The price I paid for them was $580 (and that was with a 10% discount). Hope this helps. Chris

12. Trevor S

Trevor S Extra

Thanks for all the help, [​IMG]
    What did you guys pay for your CC-370?
    Thanks Again!

13. Duane_T

Trevor, I couldn't find my receipt for the 7s last night, but I did find some of the others:
    CC-350 $287
    Mini Monitors $325/pair (1 pair shielded & 1 pair not)
    These prices were before tax - don't remember the final price after GST and PST.
    I'll take another look around tonight and see if I can find the price on the 7s
    [Edited last by Duane_T on August 15, 2001 at 10:52 AM]

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My freind was quoted $269 on the CC370 when he asked about it several months ago.

15. Trevor S

Trevor S Extra

Dustin,
    Thanks for the help. Is that $269 CDN before taxes? Did he get that price from kileys in saskatoon?
    Thanks [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Trevor S on August 16, 2001 at 09:23 AM]

16. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Yes on both accounts.
    Although I should qualify that with the fact that he had already purchased Monitor 7 mains from them for $630 and a Marantz SR5000 that he took back and exchanged (paying the difference) for a SR7000. Don't know what he payed for the SR7000 though, although I think it was around $1000 (not sure on this though).
    [Edited last by Dustin B on August 16, 2001 at 11:12 AM]