Paradigm Monitor 7 vs. Monitor 9?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradP, Dec 30, 2001.

1. BradP

BradP Guest

Hi all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a set of Paradigm speakers in Canada, but have a question for those who might know:

Would I be better going with a set of Monitor 7s or a set of Monitor 9s for my front speakers? I'm matching them with a CC-370 and a set of Mini Monitors in the rear. I've read around here that due to the 9's being bassier, and since I already have JBL subwoofer, I'd be better going with the 7's.

I have a price quote of $1490 CAD with the Monitor 9's, CC-370, and the Minis right now, and a quote of $1399 CAD on the same setup with 7's instead of 9's.

I think I might be able to do a bit better on price (I hope), but does anyone else have any thoughts on these prices or the 7's vs. the 9's?

Thanks for all your help so far everyone, this board is an incredible asset to me.

Brad

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

FWIW, I have the Monitor 7, CC-370, and Minis combination and really like the sound. I was considering the 9's but my local dealer actually talked me into getting the lower priced 7's. I am glad I made that decision.

3. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Personally I think the Monitor 9s are the stand-out piece in the Monitor series. I prefer them over the Monitor 7s, but that doesn't mean the 7 is bad either. [​IMG]
    One thing to consider: the Monitor 9 is front ported, where the 7 is rear ported. The front porting of the 9 might be a little more forgiving in terms of placement and proximity to a rear wall.
    ----
    Jeff

4. Mike Canmore

Mike Canmore Auditioning

Prices seem about right for what I have seen

Monitor 7 - sale $768.00

CC-370 - $368.00 CDN

Mini-s - can't remember

I too am doing some research on a speaker package .

Are the Paradigm's a quality speaker for you audiofiles ?

Yesterday I had a listen to a Kenwood Vr505 receiver with some decent speaker's and was surprised.

The receiver retailed for $268.00 CDN

Thinking would be better to put $$ in speaker's if I can get a break on the receiver.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

6. Wayne Cook

Wayne Cook Extra

Brad,

I think the price for the 9's, mini's and cc370 is $1,450Cdn, not $1,490.

7. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I purchased the 7s over the 9s because I believe they sounded a little tighter. The 9s were a little to bass heavy for me, but like Marty said it is all a matter of taste. IMHO, if you are confident in your subs ability to faithfully reproduce the low end sound for your system then you should go with the 7s.

Chris S.

8. Mike Canmore

Mike Canmore Auditioning

Hey Brad - are you happy with your JBL sub ?

JBL PB10 is $200 US at J&R - I would like a SVS but my wife has other ideas - LOL

9. BradP

BradP Guest

Wayne,
    I'd actually called and talked to Larry there earlier today, he offered me the 9's package for $1490...So it's funny that you got the lower price offered! I think I'd bite if they can knock off another $100, but I want to be sure that I'm happy with 9's over 7's first, so if anyone has any other opinions on 7s vs. 9s let me know! $1390 seems to be a fair price for the 9's package though, right around 15% under Canadian retail which is fair.
    The speakers will be used mainly for home theater but also music from time to time, but if I got the 9's I'd probably have my receiver set to large in the front so the 9's get some of the bass as well as the sub.
    I like my JBL sub a lot, Mike, and they are quite highly rated, though I may go with a Paradigm to match up down the line. JBLs are very low priced and high quality subs, from what I have read and heard.
    More opinions, please! [​IMG]
    Brad