Paradigm Monitor-7 vs Monitor-9

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jason_Chen_LA, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Jason_Chen_LA

Hello,

I'm thinking about getting the Paradigm Monitor speakers as fronts. someone in my previous post mentioned that Monitor-9 is a little boomy. If you have heard both these two models, would you recommend Monitor-7 over Monitor-9? (is this a rare case that the more expensive, higher model is actually not as good as the cheaper lower model)?

thanks,

Jason

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I"m actually going to put in a plug for the Monitor 11's. IMHO, the 5's and the 11's are the class of this line. With HT, add a nice sub and you have a very nice sounding system.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with Alan. The 9s have noticably more extension than the 7s, but the 9s lower midrange is not quite as clean. It's not that the 9s sound BAD, it's just a personal preference. The 11s are probably the best in the line, and I've owned 5s, and when paired up with a good sub, they are solid performers.

What is the price range specifically?

4. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I have the 9's and I would NEVER call then boomy. I find them to be solid and tight with great extension. After listening to the Studio series, i wish the imaging was a little better, but that's why the Studios are more expensive too.

Steve

5. Jason_Chen_LA

the Monitor-9s fit my budget nicely, the Monitor-11s are $200 more.

6. Jason_Chen_LA

Steve,

I'm new at this, what do you mean by "imaging"?

thanks,

Jason

7. Jason_Chen_LA

also, what do you guys mean by "more extension"?

8. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I prefer the Monitor 7 myself. I listened to the M9 at time of purchased and I didn't like the mid-range too much, it sounded great, but not nearly as open and clean as the m7.

I wouldn't be worried about bass with the m7 either. If you let the Monitor 7 break-in for about a month, the bass will open up and sound even better. Positioning is a factor as well. I have my Monitor 7's about 2ft x 2ft from the corner/back wall and the bass is perfect IMO. The bass was actually so tight and low that my old sub is now in the closet collecting dust. (The sub was a 250 watt D-BOX from Costco just so you know).

Go listen to both and decide for yourself. Your ears will tell you what you want [​IMG].

9. Jason_Chen_LA

to the people who own the Monitors, what receiver do you use?

10. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Imaging is the ability to locate the instuments in a 3D environment. With a really good speaker, you can close your eyes and locate each instrumnt in it's position on stage (at least where the engineer mixed it to sound like it is onstage). Left to right and front to back. I don't mean that my 9's don't image well, but the studios blew my mind. I'm considering moving up eventually.

As for extension, that's how low they will play, hopefully cleanly.

BTW, I use mine for 95% HT, so I do run a sub with mine. A Paradigm PW-2200.

Steve

11. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Both have their pluses and minuses. I ended up with the 9's over the 7's because it was available to me at the time. I listened to both and didn't feel the 9s were muddy compared to the 9's at all. The 9's definately have a better mid-bass and bass extension though.

Personally, I like Onkyo and Denon to power Paradigms. To me, the laid back feel of the paradigms do well with both. HK and Marantz were too laid back and Yamaha was a bit too forward for me. I personally use an Onkyo 701.

12. Jason_Chen_LA

funny I'm getting more and more terms I'm not familiar with. what do you mean when you describe a receiver as "laid back" or "forward"?

thanks!

13. Jason_Chen_LA

Steve, thanks for the explanation. which Studio model did you hear?

14. John Garcia

John
    I would not categorize Paradigms as laid back. The Monitor series is forward, to me, which is why I feel brands such as NAD and Marantz pair up very well with them. This depends on your room and listening habits though. I've run Monitors with Marantz' 6200 and an 8300, and auditioned the 7s, 9s and 11s with a 7300 and a 9300.

Speakers are probably the most important factor in your system, so go listen to them.

15. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have Monitor 7s, V. 1. When I was auditioning the 7s and the 9s the sales staff at the store I purchased them were actually recommending the 7s over the 9s. A rare case where a sales person is not pushing the higher priced model.

16. Brad_Harper

Brad_Harper Stunt Coordinator

I purchased the 7's over the 9's as well. I also purchased a PW-2200 so bass was not an issue. I love the 7s for music and ht. I currently power them with a pioneer elite vsx-39tx receiver. If you plan on using a sub with music and ht then save some money and buy the 7's. If pure stereo listening is the priority then the 9's would be the better choice because of the better bottom end.

17. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I agree. The Paradigms are very forward or "bright". Don't don't get me wrong, "bright" is not a bad thing IMO. Pair them with a warmer amp as suggested and they'll sound great. I'm currently using a Denon and I love the sound. I auditioned the M7's on a Pioneer Elite and it was a bit bright for my tastes but I still loved the Paradigm sound (it's a unique sound). When I purchased the speakers and hooked them up to my Denon I was pleasantly suprised at how warm the Paradigms sounded (especially after a month of "break-in"). I hear Marantz is a warm amp so it should sound great on it as well.

18. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Jeesh, I can never make up my mind on this one... I keep going from the 7s to the 9s to the 11s... One will sound better, the other will fit better. Anybody know what the 11s are going for?

19. John Garcia

John
    The Studios are bright to me, though they have good detail, and I have been a longtime fan of their sound. The Signature's tweeter sounds a little more smooth, but still very crisp, and they have even more detail than the Studios. The Monitor line is approaching what I would call bright, but not like the Studios, which is why I originally chose them (plus they are a good bang for your buck).

20. JurgenV

JurgenV Extra

I'd like to chime in for the 9s. I compared them to the 7s when I was shopping for my first pair of floor standers and found the 9s better in terms of bass, lower extension, not boomy, and mids, which seemed a little more effortless than the 7s. Here's a quote from the AudioRevolution Monitor 9 review (available on Paradigm's website) that helps me describe the mids: