What's new

Paradigm Monitor 7 or 9 comments? (1 Viewer)

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently considering buying either the monitor 7's or 9's for my HT setup. Any thoughts or comments? Are the 9's worth it over the 7's? And what is the MSRP and the two speakers?
My setup will consist of:
Monitor - CC-370 - centre
Monitor -7/9 's - fronts
Monitor - Mini's - rears
PW-2200 sub
Thanks in advance on any advice on the matter.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Daniel I

Mike Canmore

Auditioning
I bought the same setup in January.

I was going with the 7's but in the store I auditioned the 9's and 7's .

The 9's had a much richer/fuller sound and the sales guy said people have brought the 7's back for 9's later so I took the 9's.

The CC370 is great and mini's too.

I opted for the Sony SAWM40 12" powered sub, it was recommended in this forum, good pounding bass for alot cheaper than the Paradigm model.

I believe all the Paradigm's cost me $1480 CDN +taxes

The Sony was $199 cdn

I am terrible at remembering the numbers , but love the speaker's.

Andrew B

Agent
I had to make the same decision about what to get for mains awhile back. I was considering between the 7's 9's and 11's. I did eventually go with the 7's, the reason why is I thouhgt the 9's were a bit more muddy sounding and not as clear as the 7's. I did find that the 9's had a bit more low end, but that was not a problem as I have a PW 2200. I did like the 11's a lot, nice all around sound and a big sound stage, but for the price I might as well get the Reference 60's. Which in turn means I would have had to go all reference line, but alas my bank account would not allow that :D Anyway I hope this helps you out.
Andrew

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I also went with the 7's. I have read many post over the years on this forum that stated that the 7's were the speaker of choice in the Monitor line. I think a good sub helps with this speaker.

I paid $550 USD for my pair of 7's about 3 1/2 years ago.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I also chose the 7's over the 9's. Actually, the salesperson at a local store was promoting the 7s over the 9s. The bass in the 9s is deeper but I, personally, thought it sounded a bit muddy.

I have the very same set up you are considering with the 7s. The PW-2200 is a great sub for this system. These are personal experience recommendations. You will have to decide for yourself which speaker sounds best to you.

Allen W

Stunt Coordinator
I have auditioned Paradigms multiple times from 7's, 9's, 11's and Studio 60's. I currently have mini monitors as front speakers, and I am looking at getting the 7's and moving the mini's to surround duty.

The 9's do give you more bass but that isn't that big a deal to me, and there some minor tradeoffs though from the 7's (like muddy midrange/bass). I did not like the 11's, and I don't know how to really explain why except to say it just sounds like the tweeter, midrange and woofers are not intergrated into one soundfield. I think they tried to make a three way speaker at too low a price point and vocals on them don't sound good in my opinion. (It could have been that they were brand new and not broken in yet though).

I really like the Studio 60's but they are also double the price of the 7's. I think the 7's are fantastic speakers for their price point around $550 to $600US.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Another vote here for the 7s. When I auditioned the two I too found that the bass was deeper on the 9s, but I had an SVS coming as my next upgrade so I wasn't really concerned with the reproduction of the low end. I have to say for the money these are some of the best speakers that I have heard. But my ear tends to favor the 7s over the 9s.

Chris S.

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the advice on this one. I think I am going to pick up the Monitor 7's as my sub should me more than enough for the low end. What I am concerned about is mid range response, the Mini's seem a little weak there and I am hoping the 7's will fill that gap. Now all I have to do is sell some blood to pay off the PW-2200 first.
:crazy:
Daniel I

Trevor S

Grip
I am in the same position. I have mini-monitors and the cc-370 and I have been looking at upgrading to monitor 7's in the near future. My question is what price (CDN $) have people paid for their monitor 7's. Its much easier to bargain when I have and idea of what they are going for.

Thanks for the help!

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Audition the Studio 60's and Studio 40's. You can still get the Mini-Monitors for rears (or even Titans). And you can save money by going with a sub equivalent to the PW2200 but at a lower price point, such as the Hsu VTF-2 of Adire Rava. It is always worth at least listening to the Studio line.

Thad_C

Agent
I too am looking at the Monitor 7's. Can anyone fill me in on a decent price for:

Monitor 7's

CC-370 center

ADP370 surrounds

and the PW-2200 sub.

Should I hold off on the PW-2200 for an SVS? any thoughts?

Andrew B

Agent
As for compairing an SVS to a PW 2200 it depends where you live at. If you live in Canada (where the Paradigm stuff is cheaper) you can get the PW 2200 for about $500 US, where as the SVS with amp is somewhere in the $800 US range. So if you are in Canada and looking to spend about $800 US you could either get the SVS 20-39 or for about the same price a Paradigm Servo 15. I would love to hear a SVS sub in person, but from the reviews that I have read the Servo 15 will edge out a 20-39, and a 20-39 will beat a PW-2200. I did go for the PW 2200, and I love it, its the best $500 US that I put into my system. Personally I would love to get dual Servo 15's :D But my bank account and the foundation of the house can't handle it.
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks