Paradigm Monitor 7 and HK AVR130

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jaspaul, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Jaspaul

Jaspaul Auditioning

This is my first post here and I tried to do a search before posting but didn't find much. I aplogize in advance if you're reanswering questions and if the questions seem a bit newbish [​IMG].

While shopping around I fell in love with the monitor 7's in store and being from Canada the performance/price ratio to my ears is amazing. That being said, these speakers leave me a bit budget constrained for receivers...I'm looking at the HK AVR130 and was wondering if it would be adequate to power the speakers.

I eventually plan on adding a CC-370 center and mini surrounds over the course of the next year although I doubt I'll be adding a sub anytime soon (after listening to the monitor 7's a budget sub seems redundant and a higher end one probably isn't in the near future). My main use will be listening to cd's, but I'd like to build a nice HT setup out of it too.

I'm not sure if it's conisdered bad form to cross post the same topic (here and in the receivers section) so I'll leave it here and see what kind of responses I get [​IMG].

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

The good thing is the Monitor series are very efficient speakers so that receiver should power them OK. But once driving 5 of them, it me be underpowered. I'd try to see if you can get at least 70WPCx5 if you could in another receiver in the same price range which looks very possible. Or maybe a better used one on eBay or Audiogon. Good luck.

3. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

congrats jaspaul! I too just bought a pair of Monitor 7's this past friday. fell in love and took them home!

I too am looking at the CC-370 as my current center now sounds terrible with the new Paradigm's.

I have an older Onkyo TX-DS494 which is 55wac and it has no problem powering my 7's. I have a 12x13 room and its more than enough to push them... loudly too. granted I would like more power but the reciever is here to stay until it dies or it will be the last thing I replace. I too will keep my cheap sub. its 12" @120w and does just fine. dont need much of it as the 7's have good low end.

but I need a center most of all now.

have you noticed how great these 7's sound in stereo ? I have tried DPLII with different speakers and I just dont like it. with my smaller JBL's DPLII seemed to sound good. but the 7's just shine in reg stereo mode.

I would like some Monitor 5's for surround.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 7s are only good to 42Hz. A sub is still a necessity, IMO, because you will be missing most of the bottom octave. While they are efficient, they like plenty of power, and the more you can feed them, the better they will sound.

No, this receiver will not be enough to power these speakers without running the risk of clipping at elevated levels if you will be setting them to large.

I went with 5s instead of 7s because a sub was a given. When I replaced my front stage, I moved the 5s to the rear until I sold them, and they are an excellent surround speaker.

5. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Jaspaul, I love that line of speakers too, but I wasn't willing to compromise my receiver to get the big speakers right away. Your receiver is the heart of your system, and you basically have to replace it to get better performance. Instead, I got the receiver I wanted (Denon 2802) and the Mini Monitors and the CC-370. That was about a year and a half or 2 years ago (time flies!). This year I built a sub, and I hope to pick up a pair of Monitor 7's in the new year and move the Minis to the back. That way nothing gets replaced, everything stays in the system, saving money in the long run. I know its tempting to get the big impressive towers right away, but I love my Denon, and I wouldn't change what I did.

6. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I'd consider the Micro Monitors for surrounds (or even the Atoms). No need to go spend all that money for the Monitor 5's, you might as well by the ADP-370's for your surrounds if you are going to buy the Monitor 5's for surrounds.

I was going to buy the Monitor 7's, but when I heard the CC-370, I actually thought it sounded "muddy" compared to my CC-170. I can't figure out why, but this is one of those examples that shows how "price" or "performance" isn't always more important than what your ears tell you.

I decided that I liked the CC-170 (didn't have a CC-270 to listen to), that I didn't like the CC-370, but I loved the CC-470 (which moved me into the Studio line). So instead of buying the much more full-range Monitor 7's, I ended up getting the Studio 20's which have unbelievably clear mids and highs but not as much lower end. As far as the surrounds, the Atoms have been doing an outstanding job for that and I don't see myself ever upgrading them. They aren't timbre matched but I sit 5 ft from my 7.1 surrounds and I can't tell the difference in the timbre. It was more important to buy speakers that matched my CC-470. Odd huh, I'm matching my mains to my center instead of matching my center to my mains. LOL.

7. John Garcia

John

I had exactly the opposite experience. I had the 170, and felt it sounded "boxy", so I tried the 270 with better results, but it wasn't until I got to the 370 that it sounded OK (moving to Studios at this time was too much).

I also used Atoms as surrounds and was not pleased with them at all, so I traded them in for Titans that I am actually still using as surrounds right now. Also not timbre matched to my GR Research A/V-2s, but it works.

8. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

his receiver is enough power! even the guys at the HT shop said so and trust me, they want to sell recievers!

I have an Onkyo 55wac and its plenty!!!! sure if you want to play these in an arena then yes you need a powerful amp, but mine is plenty. I dont know about you guys but I dont usually put my dial past halfway and these 7's sound great. I even tried to push them a little and I didnt hear any problems.

I dont know about the CC-370 sounding muddy. I went and tested both the CC-170 & CC-370 and the CC-170 sounded muddy but the CC-370 sounded perfect. a great center channel and best one I have heard and I have gonne through a few. are you sure the guy hooked the coorect ones up when he told you which was which ?

no way your saying the 370 was muddy. I wouldnt even buy the 170. it sounds perfect with my Monitor 7's !!!!!

9. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Just MY ears talking to my brain that night. TO ME, the CC-370s sounded TOO deep and not detailed enough. Maybe I didn't clean my ears good enough before we listened. Maybe the smaller midrange and tweeter drivers made the CC-170 sound lighter or more detailed, I don't know. My own audio preferences seemed to force me to go into the Studio 20's with a CC-450 instead of the Monitor 7's with a CC-370. It's just my ears guys, I'm not slamming the 370's or the Monitor 7's, they are both very popular and very good speakers. I was just providing an example of how your ears can take over at times and overrule common sense. Evan M., what are your thoughts on the CC-170 vs CC-370 vs CC-470?

10. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

everyone has different tste and likes what their ears tell them.

I like the CC-370 for the reason you didnt. I like the TOO deeo sound. so different strokes for different folk. thats cool!

I love the way everything sound now that I have the correct center.

11. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Wait until you hear the CC-470. [​IMG] The upgrading NEVER STOPS!!!

12. John Garcia

John
    Heard the 470 and had the v3 40s in my system for a week and a half. I liked the GRs better [​IMG]

13. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

the 470 is very nice. out of my price range as far as centers go.

14. Jaspaul

Jaspaul Auditioning

Well I think I'm about to order the AVR-430 from etronics.

They are affiliated with Canada Posts Borderfree program so I can buy stuff there and avoid hidden charges like brokerage fees and duty. Browsing through their site it seems like it's a good place to shop if you get a non-defective piece (which seems to be about as often as any other retailer who lets a postal service handle things) but if you have a defective item you kinda get screwed. They honour all maufacturers warranties for 30 days, but you have to pay for return shipping charges (and they pay for the subsequent shipping charges to send you back a working item).

The deal is canadian vendors get assraped by Harmon Kardon and the lowest price I can find for an AVR430 is $1717.49 canadian after tax, whereas it's $797.87 canadian including all tax and duties (but not shipping which is charged by Canada Post and not etronics) for the exact same receiver.

So I can get an AVR130 for $748.49 after tax or the 430 for $797.87 after tax, plus about $50 shipping. The downside is I might have to cover return shipping if I get a defective item (~$50) and they're not an authorised HK dealer so HK doesn't have to honour warranty (but they seem to dance around this issue instead of saying it flat out so there might be some leniency). I can buy a 2 year warranty through etronics for $29 US though.

I'm up to 65W per channel for 7.1 over the entire frequency range, and 80W per channel for stereo. I know there are lots of other receivers out there, but my girlfriend really likes the looks of the new HK line [​IMG] and it's not like they’re bad products so I don't mind too much.

Hopefully after I get it I can head back to the strore and hook it up to the speakers and see if I still like them [​IMG].