Paradigm Monitor 5's...Good buy or pick another?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex_Santos, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

I was wondering what the general consenus was on these speakers. I think that they are quite large and unasthetic but they sound nice. They will be used as mains paired up with an Onkyo 600 when it comes out. Im just thinking that maybe there might be a better option in the monitor line. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Anything from the Monitor line is good. It really comes down to what size speaker you want(bookshelf or floorstanding). I have the Mini Monitors as my mains and they sound teriffic. The 5's will ba able to handle more power and go a little louder, and a hair lower. Then it is simply what you can afford.
    You should get the matching CC-370 center channel with them to solidify your front soundstage. If you can't afford anymore, I would get the Minis and the CC-370 center before I would get the 5's and a different center. You want the front 3 to be matched for the best sound.

3. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Get the Monitor 9's. After you buy the Monitor 5's and a nice set of speaker stands the cost will almost be the same the 9's which don't neeed stands. Of course I am assuming you don't have speaker stands yet

Ken

4. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Sorry Ken, with all due respect, the Monitor 7 is the speaker of choice, (from the Monitor line), on this forum. Alex, do a search and see for yourself.
    When I bought my speakers several years ago, I listened to both the 7's and 9's. The 7's seemed to have a better overall balanced sound. The 9's do have a better bottom end, but since I was also buying a Velodyne CT-120 sub, I chose the 7's. Alex, I assume you have, or are intending to buy, a sub? Let us know what you end up getting.[​IMG]

5. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

Sorry about leaving out a few details. I already have a cc-370 and a sony sawm40. The reason I was asking about the monitor 5's is that I can get them used for about the same price as mini's new.

6. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

anyone?

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

If you can get the Monitor 5's for around $300 (new price for mini's), I say go for it.

8. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I would have loved 5's for the fronts and Mini's for the rears, but I couldn't afford it. So I got the Minis and Titans (which are still very good). If you can get the 5's for $300, I would buy them in a minute.

9. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

seems like I should go for it based on price. I was wondering more along the lines of performance. Anyone else?