Paradigm Monitor 5 vs. Studio 20

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cary P, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Does anyone think the Studio 20 is worth the extra $130 over the Monitor 5?

I will most likely be using the speakers for rear surround duties initially, then for a second two-channel system in the bedroom down the road. I have Paradigm Active 40's and an Active CC up front.

My dealer has a one year upgrade policy, and I'm upgrading from Paradigm ADP 170's currently used as rear surrounds. I decided I don't want dipoles as surrounds at this time. I know the Studio 20's might provide a better timbre match with my Active's, but the Monitor 5's have been very well reviewed and are $130 cheaper. The Monitor 5's as rears might have an advantage with multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio listening as well - I could run my rears as LARGE and not worry about the whole bass management thing.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks,

Cary

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    IMO, the 5s do OK when run large, but still are better off set to small. For rears, the 20s will be better, and are quite a bit smaller, if size is a concern. IMO, unless you go with speakers that can cover below 30Hz, they should be set to small, in which case BOTH the 20s and 5s would fall into that category. I run my 5s as small. I am very pleased with the 5s!

The timbre match from front to rear will not be a huge deal (depending on how picky you are), but I would have to agree that the 20s will be a perfect match where the 5s will be slightly different.

My personal opinion would be to go with the 20s. If you are really looking to save money, go with the 5s.

BTW, both are being replaced with updated models. The 5s should be out soon, and the 20s are supposed to be later in the year.

3. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback, John.

I'm still having a hard time making my mind up on this. I agree that the Studio 20's make more sense as timbre matched surrounds with my Active 40's. In a perfect world, I guess I would be forking over the dough for a pair of Active 20's to complete my ideal 5 speaker setup. But, as you probably know, the Active's have been discontinued, so the Studio 20's would likely be my next best option.

But something about the Monitor 5's intrigue me. Maybe because the driver array is similar to the Active 40's. Also, the fact that the Studio 20's will be replaced with updated models at the end of the year, while the new Monitor 5 v.3's will be available very soon, has me carefully considering my options.

I agree that the 5's as surrounds should be set to small for Home Theater applications. But the fact that they can dig pretty deep into the bass region perhaps gives them the edge over the 20's for use as rear speakers with multichannel SACD/DVD-Audio discs.

Decisions, decisions.

Cary

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The 20s are (IMO) significantly better. When you move them to your 2ch bedroom system you'll be glad you spent the extra $150. Also, I'd suggest running all speakers as 'small' in your system, regardless of your speaker choice (let a quality sub handle the bass duties).

5. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

My apologies for taking this thread slightly off topic but I guess I'm a little behind because I did not know that Studio 20's were being upgraded. I have Studio 20 mains and Atom surrounds. At some future date I was planning on replacing the Atoms with another set of 20's to match the mains. Does anyone know if the upgraded 20's will be very different from the current model. I'm wondering if I need to get the 20's now or if I will be able to use the upgraded 20's without having a sound mismatch.

6. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

Barry,

What I would do is wait for the new version of the Studio 20's to come out, put those up front, and move your existing Studio 20's to the rear.

There might be a slight timbre mismatch between the two versions, but I doubt if you will notice it with one set in the front and the older set in the rear. Rumor has it that the new Reference Series might be substantially more expensive than the previous Studio Reference series, so you might want to take that into account. No one really knows for sure at this point what changes will take place with Paradigm's new Reference line.

Also, you might be able to get a closeout price on the Studio 20 v.2 once the new Reference Series is released, so I feel it would be best to wait and evaluate your options at that point.

Cary

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The current rumour is that the v.2 studio line will be replaced. The v.3 monitor line is supposed to have v.2 studio level performance and the v.3 studios are supposed to surpass the current studio performance levels. However, the new studio models are supposed to cost quite a bit more. Keep in mind that this is internet rumour and historically it's taken Paradigm awhile to roll out their new models. AVS forum has a Paradigm rep on as a special guest this week... hopefully some of these questions will be answered!

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The V3 Monitor line is already out (most of them anyway), and they are definitely not Studio level performance, but rather borrow some design characteristics from the Studio line. They are updated and improved, but they are still quite similar to the old ones, with only a modest increase in price.

9. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

Cary

Thanks for the advice. Obviously with Atom surrounds I already have a mismatch of sorts. For HT it's acceptable but for 5 channel music it doesn't work too well. So if the v.3 20's have a different sound then I'm hoping that the sound difference will be minimal so that 5 channel music does not get negatively affected. Sounds like the info is sketchy at best so I'll wait for more confirmation.

10. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Studio 20's all the way, and do not bother to wait for the v3's.

11. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I was in that same situation a few monthes back... Well, a good few monthes now.
    I was stuck between Monitor 5's and Studio 20's... Gave it some more thought, and realized that for the 5's, I'd need a decent stand to do them justice, and for the 20's, my brain would *demand* good stands, or I would not be content with them, and feel I was hurting their potential (call me crazy?).... Added up the price difference, plus the expensive stands, and the 20's were more expensive then I realized (or could afford)... Then looked at the 5's, factored in the cost of stands, and realized the 7's were almost exactly the same cost (but sounded better then the 5's to my ears, and fuller (see: louder perhaps) then the 20's, but not quite as detailed), so that is what I ended up with (with Mini's in the rear)...
    So, I get the "ummph" of a tower with the front soundstage (not saying the 20's would not provide it, but I prefer the larger speakers, plus the 2200) but for a music only setup, the 20's would have been worth the extra cash, from my demo's of them.
    But, either way, if I ever have space issue's or just want a bedroom setup, I can just use my mini's for it, and... damn... Find soemthing to do with the (relitively) bulky 7's. [​IMG]