Paradigm Monitor 5 or Monitor 7 ...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ettore_C, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Ettore_C

Ettore_C Auditioning

If I am going to get Paradigm speakers, I am currently choosing between Monitor 5 and Monitor 7 speakers as mains.

My local HT Paradigm dealer gave me prices on the 5's and the 7's and claimed that the 7's are a better way to go because the stands for the 5's will make them cost the same as the 7's.

My problem is this: The 5's are good down to 55Hz (around) whereas the 7's are good to 45Hz (around). The only center that is suitable to match these sets is the CC-370 which uses the same setup as the 5's (ie: down to about 55Hz). My local dealer wasn't able to compare the CC-370 to EITHER main, but I heard the mains side by side crossed over at 60Hz (so they would be on a level playing field) and they don't sound the same.

So, in my eyes (ears, whatever) the monitor 5's and 7's aren't timbre matched as Paradigm claims. The only explanation might be that one set was broken in and the otherwas not but I would like a second opinion. I am antsy mainly due to the fact that almost every system that I have heard where the mains didn't match the center (as in, driver wise) there was a definite audible anomaly when listening to anything where the image moves from side to side (car, train, concerts).

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I had 5s (v2) with a CC370 (v3) and pans across the front were seemless, not unlike having 3 of the same speaker. The anomaly you may hear is likely more about placement, isolation and calibration than just the speakers themselves. It is not uncommon for a MTM like the 370 to sound different from other speakers from the same family. The 370 images well because of it's offset tweeter, which is an improvement from the 170 and 270, both of which I also owned.

5s with stands will come close to 7s in cost, but the 7s will still need a sub. I could hear the cabinet of the 7s, compared to the 5s, which I did not like (v3).

IMO, if you are looking at these, I will recommend that you consider the Axiom M22ti and a VP150 center.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

10hz difference doesn't mean they aren't matched, the speakers still use the same components, just different enclosures that may have altered specs and sound slightly. They still use the same drivers. I have the 11's and the CC370 and it seems seemless to me. I was going to get the 5's for surrounds, but got the 7's because of the stand cost put the 5's at the same cost as the 7's. Another thing to consider is that you most definately going to run the center speaker as "small" on your receiver, the mains too if you have a sub, and will therefor have a 80hz cutoff on your receiver's crossover(most likely), so these lower frequencies will never reach the center anyways. I'd get the 7's. Good luck choosing!

4. Ettore_C

Ettore_C Auditioning

But, my point was that WITH the crossover set at 60 Hz (so that both the 5 and the 7 have the same low cutoff) the 7's and 5's sound different.

Since I can make stands myself, the price difference is actually substantial.

Thanks for the input tho, I am pretty sure I am set on the 5's because they're crossed over anyways and they are not too different from the CC-370.

Just a note, maybe there's a problem but I am not even considering the 11's because they sounded EXTREMELY muddy, these are all blind tests too! I was marking the speakers with ticks on a piece of paper.

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I'm sure the CC370 would sound a little different form either the 5's or the 7's too, mostly to due to enclosure size, but they still use the same drivers and are matched in that respect. And maybe there's a poor setup for the 11's? cause I think "muddy" is the last word anyone who's ever heard them would describe them that way........and I just went to my dealer to consider an upgrade to the Studio 100's v.3 and actually found the 11's "brighter", probably because of the "tighter, deeper" bass of the 100's. Still up to your ears though, but I really will defend the 11's as not being "muddy" IMO. Enjoy the 5's!

6. John Garcia

John
    I auditioned the 11s on two separate occasions, in two different auditioning rooms, and neither time did I feel they were "muddy". At thier price point though, you are approaching Studio 60s.

7. Ettore_C

Ettore_C Auditioning

Wow, so many replies [​IMG]

Thank you VERY VERY much for the input. I think I am set on the 5's ... if anything they will suffice as surrounds or can be donated to my parent's home theater setup.

I MAY, however, go for a re-audition when my HT dealer is a little less busy and I can spend a bit more than 1/2 hr listening. Maybe he'll even let me 'calibrate' in their reference room.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

They all use the same drivers, except the 3s which use bigger ones.

But even getting 5s, i don't recall how much they are but studio 20s are 800, I'd probably step up to that or something comparable, but that's my preference (or lack of emphasis on bass, since my SVS does all that heavy lifting)

9. John Garcia

John

10. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

My digm dealer said he could hook my up with v3 20s for $600. After seeing the prices other pay, I am considering them more.