Paradigm Monitor 11s or Studio 100s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I'm planning getting the Studio 100s early next year. I went to a local dealer over the weekend and listened to the Monitor 11s. I've heard the 100s before, but they weren't setup for a A/B comparison with the 11s. The 11s sounded really good. Have any of you upgraded from the 11s to the reference line? If you did what was the improvement?
    Thanks in advance
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

2. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

I haven't done a direct comparison between the 11s and 100s however I did do many comparisons between speakers in the Monitor line vs. the Studio line. IMHO, the difference in clarity and accuracy was much better with the Studio line. The Monitor's are good too for the price however if you are looking for more clarity and accuracy, go with the Studio line.
    One thing to note: I've heard that the 100s are power hungry. Unless you have a huge receiver or a separate amp for your mains, you may be better off with Studio 40 or 60's. However, given your choices, I imagine you're looking for greater bass extendion in your mains.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HI!
    Can you drive up this way and into New Brunswick??
    THere is a dealer there that will give HTF members a 25% discount off of CDN list prices.
    The Studio 100s list for $2400 CDN.
    Exchange rate of .64 = 1536
    Less 25% = $1152 USD, one heck of a deal and makes it worth the drive!!
    Email me if interested
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Forgot to add:
    Yes the 100s are power hungry, I noticed a huge difference when going from my Pioneer Elite 29 receiver to the Outlaw 165x5 power amp.
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

5. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

FWIW, I have M7s and was just listening to S100s yesterday. They were driven by tubes, which really starved the 100s bass drivers, IMO. It could be the setup causing this, not tubes in general. But mids and highs are clearly better than the Monitor series. Worth the upgrade. [​IMG]

6. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I bought the 100's. After listening to some other speakers in a similiar (or cheaper) price point and they were the only ones to really blow me away. (I listended to B&W, Mirage, Klipsh, Monitor's, Solilique (sp), PSB, Boston Acoustics, etc.)
    Now, today I'm only powering them with my Denon 3801 and I've often wondered if more power would make them even better.
    In short, I'm pretty happy with them. I think they are great speakers and will perform every bit as good (or better) than the monitors when given a moderate amount of power. I suspect given additional power there would be no comparison.
    Of course, the 100's are pricey so that should certainly be taken into account, but they are the better speaker IMHO.
    -Alan

7. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Gregg & others:
    just wanted to confirm - this guy is a real deal. I am on my way to NB tonite, to pick up 2 pairs of Active-40, tax included for about $2500 (GST return will be for gas...).
    Back on-line sometimes during weekend, with 4xA-40 singing.
    I have a hell of a room to fill - 17x19(2 stories)x32, with openings to kitchen, other space - total about 9000 cu f.
    Next will be a nice processor, then SVS array... then I will have to move.
    _zjt

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Is that $2500 in CDN or US funds, and does that include tax? If it does, was it just GST or was there a PST as well? If there was PST as well what percentage was it?
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub
    [Edited last by Dustin B on October 30, 2001 at 04:09 PM]