Paradigm Monitor 11

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chrisden, Apr 12, 2002.

1. chrisden

chrisden Agent

I am planning on purchasing these speakers tomorrow to be run by my Marantz SR8200. I have read that these speakers (non-video shielded version) produce a large magnetic flux. I plan on placing these next to my Toshiba tube tv approximately 18 inches away from the tv on both sides. Will this cause a problem with the tv picture? Anybody have experience with these speakers used next to a tv?

2. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

18" is on the low side of recommended separation. If you can manage another 6" you will be assured of no problem.

If you do have problems (ie the lower corners start to change colors) turn off the TV and unplug it for 10 minutes or so, this will "reset" (degausse?) the screen, fixing the discoloration.

3. Raffi A

Raffi A Extra

For the same price as the monitor 11 you can get the Paradigm Studio 40's or you can spend maybe a few hundred more and pick up the 60's. The studio line will blow away the Monitor line.

4. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

"blow away" might be a bit of an overstatement, no?

5. Raffi A

Raffi A Extra

We'll Blow away might be an overstatement, but the 40's or 60's (in my opinion) will definately sound better. My brother was going to buy the moniter 7's today. I convinved him to do an A/B comparison between the 7's and the studio 20. Since he has a sub already bass did not matter.

It took about 5 minutes of listening to make up his mind. He went with the 20's.

Don't get me wrong the monitor line is a wonderful speaker, in my opinion the studio line is a step up from the monitors.

Raffi.

6. FrankB

FrankB Agent

I'd also recommend stepping up to the Studio series. The Studio 60s aren't a whole lot more, and they are available with magnetic shielding so you don't have to worry about how close they are to the TV (this is what I have). If you don't want to spend that much then save even more and drop back to the Monitor 7s, which are also available in a sheilded version, will sound better, handle plenty of power, and go 2Hz lower than the 11s.

7. chrisden

chrisden Agent

Well, I got the Monitor 11's today and they are outstanding. No problems with the fact that they are not magetically shielded either. They sound amazing. I listened to Studio 40 and 60 and still preferred the 11's.

8. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The '60's are nice, but they aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread, either. I prefered the (lower priced) Mission 774 and Mordaunt-Short 906.

9. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

10. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

It's all a matter of personal taste really.

Glad your happy with your 11's.

11. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Yeah great pick in speakers I love my Monitor 9's.