Paradigm Moinitors VS. Klipsch Reference

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Maher, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Tom_Maher

Tom_Maher Stunt Coordinator

Decisions... decisons... just when I thought I had fully decided on going with the Klipsch Reference Series (R*-3II series all around) to mate with my new Denon 3802, and upcoming SVS Sub (waiting for the PC+ line), my friend comes over and starts to rave about some Paradigm speakers he purchased. Then he tells me there is a local dealer around only a few miles away from where I live. So, now I have the chance to at least demo the Paradigms (but, unfortunately, not in home, just in store). Unfortunately, I have no chance to demo the Klipsch speakers (well, I might be able to demo the mains at a friend's house, depending on when he sets them up, if I'm lucky). Basically, my question is, which setup would mate better with a Denon 3802 and SVS PC+ 20-39 subwoofer?:

Klipsch Reference (prices I know I can get online):
    2 RF-3IIs @ 560
    1 RC-3II @ 239
    2 RS-3IIs @ 375
    Total: 1356.18 + Tax and Shipping

OR

Paradigm Monitor Series (estimates based on MSRP, hopefully I can haggle if necessary):
    2 Monitor 7s @ 650
    1 CC370 @ 330
    2 ADP 170 @ 400 (can't swing the ADP 370s)
    Total 1476.60 + Tax

I have narrowed it down to these two speaker manufacturers, but am willing to play with the configurations slightly as long as it comes under 1500 with tax and shipping included. If it matters, the Klipschs would be purchased online, whereas the Paradigms would be purchased locally (hopefully they'll have what I want in stock!). Thanks for the assistance!

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I think the Paradigm Studio series is better competition for the Klipsch Reference. IMHO the Klipsch Reference is much better than the Paradigm Monitor series.

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I agree with Frank, but the RF-3's will be way cheaper than the Paradigm Studio's, so your better off with the RF-3's, and they need WAY less power.

4. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

One word - KLIPSCH

5. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Yes the Klipsch is better.

6. Tom_Maher

Wow! Pretty much all in favor of Klipsch! Excellent, I had intended to go with Klipsch in the first place, but wanted to make sure I covered all my options before taking the plunge. Also, going with the Klipsch speakers, I'll be able to swing a 7.1 setup faster than I would with the Paradigms. Thanks again for the help!

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    While I would also agree that Klipsch Reference is better than Paradigm's Monitors, I would also have to say that I am not a fan of the brighter more "forward" nature of Klipsch Ref.
    If you like the brighter sound of Klipsch, you might want to also consider Axiom. Also better than the Paradigm Monitor line and also cost less.

8. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i'll also put my vote for klipsch. I audioned them with my friend and they were definately better than the monitor line of paradigm. THe monitor line just sounded muddy and boomy to our ears while the klipsch sang loud, clear and crisp. In the end, i went with the studio line though.

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Make that another vote for the Klipsch. I auditioned Paradigm monitors and the sound just didn't do it for me. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I ended up with no doubt as to which speaker better suited me personally.

10. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Tom,
    First of all I think you should listen to the Paradigm's and make your own decision about what you like. Don't be to hasty about a major purchase before listening.
    I am a strong fan of the Paradigm product line, but in this case, I too would default to the Klipsch with your selections. I like the Klipsch products. Klipsch speakers have a unique sound that appeal to a devout following of users.
    Generally, Paradigm dealers discount their product lines 12-22% from my experience and I have dealt with a few dealers in my area haggling them down. You might be able to do better.
    If you are located close to the Canadian border, and you like the Paradigms, you will be able to get a better deal or even move up to the Studio line if you like the Paradigms.
    However, if you purchase them in Canada, your warranty would be void in the states. You'd have to get them serviced in Canada where you bought them. I've never had problems with Paradigm breaking down.
    Also, I am not familar with buying Klipsch products online with the exception of ubid who is an authorized dealer. There may be others that I am not aware of.
    Klipsch is very adamant about protecting their dealer network, so if you are concerned about a warranty with an online purchase, make sure they are authorized.
    Good luck and make sure you listen to your selections before making a final decision.
    http://www.klipsch.com
    Lower right corner for more info.

11. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I have the Klipsch Ref series 3 speakers paired with a dual SVS 20-39cs+/samson combo and I couldn't be happier for the $$$! I have heard the Paradigm speakers and they too are great speakers but they are just a little short of the Klipsch if you are looking at Home Theater usage. Listen to both and see what you prefer. Either way they are both very nice speakers.

12. Tom_Maher

I found another site online, with near the same prices (slighlty more expensive but I dont have to pay tax) which sells the Klipsch speakers under full warranty. One final question. With the deals on the speakers and receiver, I have an extra 400 to spend in this purchase. Would I be better off upgrading to the RF-5s for the mains now, and getting two more RS-3IIs for full 7.1 down the road (maybe Christmas), or, sticking with the RF-3IIs and getting two more RS-3IIs now for 7.1? I also might give the Paradigms a listen tomorrow, just in case I end up liking the sound or if the dealer can give me a significant discount on a higher end model. Thanks for the continued assistance!

13. jad

jad Agent

If you are going to get a sub a suggest you get the Klipsch rb-5. It's the best sounding speaker in the reference line that I've heard. (Have not heard the RF-7's.)

14. Dan V.

Dan V. Auditioning

I'm gonna diverge here from popular opinion. Klipsch Reference were the very first speakers I gave a listen to when I started off shopping for speakers. For home theater, they are "in your face" speakers, but as far as music is concerned, IMHO they definitely lack finesse. I compared them to the Energy Connoisseur line, and the Energy's were better... musically. There's no denying, however, Klipsch's efficiency.

Right now, I myself am on the verge of purchasing Paradigm's Monitor series. I'm just awaiting to compare the Monitor 11's to the 90P, but I've heard such rave reviews about the Studio series that I'll just have to give them a listen as well. My opinion: Paradigm's Monitors are more rounded and much more controlled than the Klipsch's. I'll admit the v.2's sounded somewhat "muddy", but the v.3's are crystal clear. Some would say, almost as "bright" as the Klipsch's, though there again, more controlled. Somewhat lacking in bass though, but nothing I'm sure the PW-2200 or a good SVS couldn't solve.

15. TravisMc

TravisMc Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the Klipsch Reference 3 system, all the way around, and even went with a KSW-15 Sub as a temporary solution till I can get a pair of SVS ultra's and Reference 7 Stuff
    Basically, I have NO regrets
    They sound Amazing; they are very clear, and extremely efficient
    I went to a local HiFiBuys and listened to everything I could, but frankly, nothing was as "In your face" as the klipsch speakers, they really do sound "Live" in a sense..
    As far as the "bright" complaints many people make about them, I view it from a different standpoint, its my humble opinion, that every other manufacturer has it all wrong, its not that klipsch are bright, its that everything else is dull [​IMG]
    get the Reference 3 System, you Wont regret it, btw, I bought from www.sounddistributors.com, great service, fast shipping, great price, just a heads up

16. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

IMHO try to demo either side by side or in your room. It is probably going to be a matter of taste.

I was able to do an a/b demo, and I preferred the Paradigm Monitors.

jdg

17. james e m

james e m Second Unit

My vote is for Paradigm! But let your ears decide!