What's new

Paradigm MiniMonitors, cc370 and adp 170 new for $1000. Can I do any better? (1 Viewer)

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
I was going to buy these today but I figured i would come home and ask the experts first. They are all brand new version 3's. Are there any other systems that can do better for the price. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
If you happen to be coming to Canada anytime soon that setup could probably be had for $1000cdn/$650us. Other than that I think you should push for 15 to 20% off

Kevin

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I don't know whether you can do better for that money or not. Certainly you can do well with that much money buying into any of several different brands. But Paradigm is a major bang for the buck brand. That said, make sure you do not pay the full retail price. Most dealers will cut you a break if you buy the whole package.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
That $1000 price tag is with a 10% package discount. And I had to argue for 45 minutes just to get them to 10%. My dealer sucks. Any ideas on similar brands with similar quality for the same price?

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Well, you live in Orlando. There's Sound Advice. They sell B&W, which are also excellent speakers. Every now and then Sound Advice has an unannounced sale, buy one speaker at full price, get the second speaker at half-price. I think February is one of the months when they have that sale.

james e m

Second Unit
Did you say version 3?!?! Crap! I just bought 4 Mini Monitors and 1 CC-370 all version 2 and I have 2 Paradigm Monitor 11's on order that were supposed to be version 2 but I have a feeling they are going to be version 3. :angry: This sucks, I wanted them all to be matched! I just got an email from Paradigm saying there was no plan for a version 3 anytime soon, hopefully they will let me trade in my 2's for 3's!
james

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Yeah, it sucks, I just bought 2 mini monitors and cc 370 center all version 2.

-ELmO

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
BTW, what stands do you guys use for mini monitors?

They are sitting on top of my entertainment center now and I don't know if that's good for them, they certainly aren't at the correct height (1 foot too high).

-ELmO

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Alex, if you like the sound of the Paradigm stuff and are already getting a discount, I wouldn't question your intended purcahse. Paradigm stuff is always a great value in its price range. Then again, there is value in demoing other brands.

James, I do not believe that there will be any mismatch between v2 and v3's. From what I have read, the changes are not that extensive and the tweeters are the same. But I cannot find the link, so I might not be remembering it correctly.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
I know that there are other brands but I dont have anything in my area to use. Sound advice sucks and their prices are way too expensive. My paradigm dealer sells def techs but they are a little pricey as well. I don't really know where else to look. I really don't want to spend $1000 but I will if I have too.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
If it is any comfort, you will likely be extremely pleased with that Paradigm system for the $1000 you spent.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Elmo,

I use stands that are about 18 inches high for my mini's. I bought them at Circuit City, they were pretty cheap, like $50 I think. They work fine for me, and they look good too.

Paul

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
The stands he was using in the shop he said were $250, I said nahhh the mini monitors were about that much so I said nevermind.

18"..are you standing them on the floor?

How do they get high enough? I read the tweeter should be at ear level in your ideal position.

I even wonder how 30" (most of the other ones I saw) are high enough...

-ELmO

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Also my mini monitors are front speakers, though still I think 18" couldn't be high enough for rears (?) since I thought they are supposed to be placed above your head...

Confused,

ELmO

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Parts express has some nice stands for around 50-60 with shipping.

Back to the question at hand, does anyone know of any alternatives to paradigm within the 1000 range or cheaper. Thanks.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Well,

when I sit down on my couch the tweeter in the mini's isn't that far below my ears, maybe 6-8 inches. It still sounds good to me. I have much taller stands that I use for my surrounds, which puts them about 1 foot above my ears.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
I would think that 24" stands would be the minimum height unless you had some very large bookshelfs or your sitting on the floor. Anyone else with speaker recommendations? Ive heard Axioms are good as well as PSB. How do these brands stack up with Paradigm.

Nick L

Second Unit
To my knowlege there is no version 3 for the monitor series. Only for the performance series. So the adp170's should be version 3's but the mini monitors and cc370 should be version 2.

Nick L

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
You might be right but my dumbass dealer seemed to think that they were version 3. Of course hed tell me that he could part the sea just to keep me at a 10% discount. Bastards.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
anyone know what the difference between the monitor and reference series is. Im looking into buying some reference speakers used. Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks