Paradigm Mini Monitors or Studio 20's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Susana Anderton, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Susana Anderton

I listened to a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors at my local dealer and liked them. I wanted to listen to a pair of Studio 20's, but they didn't have any. These guys quoted me full retail for the Mini Monitors ($350), so I assume they'd charge me retail for the Studio 20's also ($650).
    Since I didn't get to hear the Studio 20's, I don't know how much better they sound than the Mini Monitors. Whichever ones I get, I plan on using these as my mains and keeping them forever, so naturally I don't want to get the Mini Monitors just because they're cheaper. But the Studio 20's are almost twice as much, so I don't want to spend that much more for just a small difference in quality.
    What do you all think?
    Thanks

2. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Well I got bought a pair of Mini Monitors this week and I love them, they sound great, now I didn't even audition the Studio 20's but I'm assuming they are much better then the Mini's after reading about them on this forum. But one thing I would say is if you decide on the Mini Monitors try to get them to come down in price or look around at other dealers because I paid $269 for my pair and they are the V2 model.
    ------------------

3. Joe Greca

Joe Greca Stunt Coordinator

Hey Dan, where did you go to get your speakers? I'm looking to replace my speakers soon too, so I need to find some places in NJ for auditioning...

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think the 20s are better in fine detail, just as the Minis are better than the Titans only in details. I feel the Reference series is a tad on bright side, but very detailed and not annoying. While the 20s are excellent speakers, I think the Minis are more than adequate.
    Definitely see if you can get the price down, as $269 is even less than I could get my local place down to ($280/pr).
    *edit* Consider also that you can typically trade in Paradigms towards future upgrades at most retailers. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on September 26, 2001 at 04:04 PM]

5. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Hi Susana, I compared the Mini Monitors and Studio 20s a few months ago and decided on the 20s. To me the 20s sounded fuller and a bit smoother on music while still having great detail and clarity. For HT they did not sound that different to me. I got Atoms for my surrounds. GREAT little speakers. The local B&M gave me 10% off list on eveything. The list on the 20s were $650, Atoms $185, Studio CC Center $500, HSU VTF2 sub $500. I think what you need to do is try to demo the 20s somewhere before making your decision. Thats the only way you will know if the 20s are worth for the extra cost to you.
    Regards, Nick

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I know this is an obvious point, but be sure to audition both speakers yourself before you make a decision. Most people will agree that the Studio 20's will be better than the Mini-Monitors but it's possible the Mini's might sound better to you. It is all up to the individual.

7. Susana Anderton

I just want to know if I should even consider the Studio 20's. If so I will drive to the next county to audition them and make the purchase, or I may even consider an on-line auction purchases if the price is right.
    I didn't like my local dealer's attitude. It is one of these audio boutique stores in a ritzy part of town. If I get the Mini Monitors I'll try to haggle a better price there, but I'm not holding my breath for any big discounts.

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

quote: I didn't like my local dealer's attitude. It is one of these audio boutique stores in a ritzy part of town. If I get the Mini Monitors I'll try to haggle a better price there, but I'm not holding my breath for any big discounts.[/quote]
    Walk away, find someone who will treat you better. I know you're planning on keeping your equipment for a while, but even then I think it's important to have a good relationship with your dealer, be treated well, and get a good price.
    I have the Mini Monitors, and I haven't heard the 20's. Are you planning on using this mostly for HT, or is music important to you too? How critical a listener are you? Would you really have to stretch your budget to get the 20's, or is that comfortable for you? What kind of speakers can your current or planned future amplification handle?
    The reason I ask is, if your budget is $300, IMO it's hard to do better than the Mini Monitors. The NHT SuperOne has a slightly more refined sound (if I were picking now, I'd probably take them over the Paradigms, when I bought them, I listened to both for hours and picked the Paradigms), but beyond that, there really aren't too many options. However, at the $600 range, you have many more options, especially if you're willing to try used speakers. Unless you have some strong reason for buying Paradigm, I would recommend you spend more time researching your options, especially since you plan on making this a long-term decision. Planar speakers are one such option, you can get Magnepan MMG's for $550 new, and they are supposedly amazing speakers, but they sound very different from regular box speakers. You'll have to hear them to decide if you like that sound or not. A lot depends on your music tastes, usual volume levels, room size, amplification, etc.
    Paradigm makes excellent speakers, but one of the problems with sites like this one is that these tend to reinforce the opinions and choices of the members. And the members don't always represent a complete cross-section of the audio world, so sometimes there are options that you don't even hear about, just because no one has heard of them. Spend some more time reading and researching before you put down your money. Of course, it's possible that you've already done all this research, but looking at the two choices you narrowed it down to, I feel that maybe you haven't looked at all your priorities and options.
    Feel free to email me if you want to take this off-line, I'd be more than glad to help you out, as well as point you to resources for research.
    [Edited last by Saurav on September 26, 2001 at 11:59 PM]

9. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hey Joe, I got my Mini Monitors at AVI Electronics on Route 46 East in Totowa, NJ. Elias is the owner and is a great guy, he will give you the cheapest price he can right up front with no haggling.
    ------------------

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

The treatment you get at a store played a major role in determing the brands I purchased. It turns out the local Paradigm dealer has very nice and well informed salespeople. Most of the salespeople at the dealer that sells Def. Tech and Klipsch know next to nothing and even give out wrong information if they don't know the answer.

11. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Susana, there is a dealer here in Miami you might want to check out. I believe their located in Coral Gables. You can check the Paradigm site for the address.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Wood's Home Theater

12. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

The dealer in Coral Gables is Sound Components. They can be reached at (305) 665-4299.

13. Susana Anderton

Thanks all, you've given me more to think about.
    By the way, even though my name says I'm from Hollywood, Florida, I'm temporarily living somewhere else. I don't want to say where, as I don't want to give that local dealer a bad reputation. Besides, he didn't really do anything rude. It's just an attitude I percevied, like one of those "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it." He quoted full retail, and I HATE to haggle!

14. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

What type of equipment are you going to be using with the Mini's? A reciever or seperates? When I used a just an AV reciever, I wasn't that impressed with the MM, but after I upgraded to a pre-pro & amp setup, they sound just like the Studio series! [​IMG]
    I guess that proves that Paradigm makes really great speakers, whether you go for the Monitor or Studio series.

15. Darin H

Darin H Auditioning

I recently auditioned both the Mini's and the 20's. I ended up with the Mini's. I felt that the 20's were better, but not enough better to cost $300 more. Once I got the Mini's home, set up, and burned in, I was sure I made the right decision for me. They sound great.

16. Ka Yuen

Ka Yuen Agent

Joe, you can audition the Paradigms right in your town. Soundcity on RT46 Denville.

17. Susana Anderton

I went to Sound Components in Coral Gables today. They were cordial, but they wanted $330 for the Mini Monitors - less than 6% off. Well, I guess it's better than full retail. He said the price would not change, no matter how many speakers I bought. I have a problem with the way Paradigm sell speakers - no competition to keep prices high.

18. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

That's a dealer thing, not Paradigm. My dealer lists the Mini Monitors for $300. I bought my whole system from him - CD player, receiver and speakers, and he threw in another 10% discount on the whole thing, and gave me about 20 ft of 18 AWG Monster speaker cable for free.

19. Susana Anderton

What's a dealer thing? Discounting? Yes. But Paradigm gives dealers no incentive to compete. It does not allow mail order and makes sure that dealers do not overlap too much - so the dealers get their own territory. In my case the dealers are in different counties - about 1 1/2 hour drive.

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

fwiw, i asked my local dealer if he was willing to discount on the paradigms and he said he would. he wouldn't give me any numbers, but i think i could have scored probably close to 10% off. i hear some people in these forums saying they got as high as 15%...
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.