Paradigm Mini Monitors or Studio 20s v1 for surround with Studio v3 fronts?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JonathanOh, Jan 5, 2004.

1. JonathanOh

JonathanOh Agent

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any insight on Mini Monitors v2 or v3 vs Studio 20s v1?

I have Paradigm Studio 20s (v3) and CC-470 for fronts. I am changing out my surrounds but wife says no way to getting another set of new 20s for surround (too big).

This leaves me with Minis or the Studio 20 v1 which I believe is about 1.5 inches shorter than my current 20s (v3). The old Studio 20 is somewhat pushing the limit size-wise but the wife can't have everything.

I would rather buy used as I will be going Studios v3 all around in a couple years after we remodel.

Does anyone think I will get any benefit from the slightly more expensive and older Studio 20s vs a newer set of Minis?

Thanks for your insight.

Jonathan

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are planning on buying Studios all the way around, I wouldn't go for the v1s, I'd just go with the Minis or even stick with the Atoms for now. Now, if you can wait until June, Bay Area has a huge annual sale and you might be able to get a really great deal then...[​IMG]

3. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I'm using Studio 20's v3 and a cc-470 v3 for fronts with 4 Atoms being used as the surrounds and it sounds outstanding. I'm not planning on upgrading the surrounds for a LOOOOOONG time. I'd just go with Atoms and use the money you save to order some Studio 60's or 100's for the fronts. [​IMG]

4. JonathanOh

JonathanOh Agent

Thanks again guys for the useful comments!

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I agree with cabreau. If you are planning on doing a lot of 5 or more cannel stereo listening or SACD in the future then you may want to get something that will be timbre matched (studio's) if not and you are doing mainly HT and surround DSP's then Atoms or Minis are fine. Not a lot of info is sent to those speakers, and when it is it usually ambient sound that does not really require any "critical listening".