Paradigm Mini Monitors for surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Paquette, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Could Paradigm Mini Monitors be used as surround speakers in a 5.1 setup with Studio 40's and a Studio CC? I cannot put my surrounds on stands due to space constraints and the infamous WAF. Studio 20's seem to be a bit large and heavy to mount on the wall or place on a shelf that is secured to the wall.

2. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

I'm in the exact same situation that you are in. I've got Studio 20s in the front and a studio CC cener. I need to buy a pair of rear surrounds. I was thinking of going with the mini monitors over the 20s to save a little pit of money. Although my wife doesn't mind the speaker stands. I'm pretty sure you can mount them fairly easily with the right mounts. I'm just a little nervous matching Studio speakers with monior speakers. Your not conflicted with this at all?

As for mounting the 20s. I had them as rears in my dedicated HT and I just made a make-shift shelf. I bought two black L-shaped shelf braces from Home Depot and used drywall anchors. Then I bought a piece of tempered glass and I set the glass ontop of the L-shpaed braces. I set the 20s ontop of the shelf and they were fine up there for the last two years.

3. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

I have Studio 60's for front and moved my mini monitors to the back. I find them excellent. Now I am sure that Studio 20's would be better , but how much better I cannot determind. I have a lot of other things to purchase before I even think of upgrading the surrounds.
    Bob

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

As far as size, The Mini and the 20 are almost exactly the same size (The 20 is 1" higher). I would also be concerned with matching Studios to Monitors. There is a pretty big performance gap there.

5. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

If 5 channel music is not a concern for you then matching your surrounds to your fronts is not as big an issue as matching your front sound stage. For HT mini monitors should be fine if that's the way that you have to go.

6. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

I am currently using Monitor 7.2 fronts, atoms for surrounds, and moving up to a studio reference center in the next couple of weeks. I don't even want to think about how many performance gaps I am stringing together with this set-up! [​IMG] Though the plan ultimately is to move the atoms into the bedroom (replaced by mini-monitors or dipole surrounds) and replace the Monitor fronts with studio 60s. . . .

7. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Mark,
    If at all possible, I would go with using Ref. 20's for your surrounds. This is what I did and the blend is really nice. You will really notice it on music but it will also make a difference in HT. I also have a pair of Mini Monitors that are being used as my back surrounds in a 7.1 setup.

8. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the replies everyone. After realizing the size difference between the mini's and the 20's is negligible, I've decided against the mini's. I'm making my trip to Windsor this afternoon to make my purchase. Right now I'm trying to decide between 20's or ADP's for surrounds. Seems to be a lot of opinions each way.