Paradigm mini monitor or Polk rt35i?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan_W, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

I ask because I live in Hawaii and don't believe Paradigm's are sold here (their dealer locator showed none), but I MAY be able to get some from the mainland (obviously without listening to them first). Or was thinking of going to Circuit City, listening to the rt35i's, and if I like them, buy them. Would that be a big mistake? Getting around to various shops is difficult for me to do.

I'm not as critical a listener as many here are, just a ltittle more so than your average newbie, maybe. I'd be using them for something in the area of 65/35 music over movies. I have no other equipment yet except for a TV and DVD player and am considering the HK 320 to go along with them. I hear J and R's got it for $499, anybody know if I'm right?

Thanks for any help!

2. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Aloha,

I doubt you would be disappointed with either speaker, but it sounds like it would be a hassle getting your hands on the Paradigms. How much would the shipping be from the mainland? How much to ship them back if you don't like them?

Personally I wouldn't buy a speaker unless I heard it first. I have a pair of RT35i's downstairs in the recroom and really like them, especially for the price, $280/pair from a local store. I don't know if you are aware that Polk is discontinueing the current RT line. You should be able to pick up a pair of 35's for a pretty good price, or wait to hear it's replacement, the RTi38. One of the main differences between the two is the switch from the tri-laminate tweeter to a silk/polymer composite dome tweeter. US MSRP is $225/ea for the 38's, so either wait for the 38's or score a good price on the 35's while you still can find them. Good luck.

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I bought Paradigm mini monitors without even listening to them from recommendations on this forurm and audioreview.com and I love them. I don't think I could have bought a better speaker for the money. Just my .02

Paul

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I own Mini Monitors and Polk RT25i (and auditioned the RT35i) and think the Mini Monitor's are a better speaker. Just my little ol' opinion, though. The Polks sound muddy to me. You might want to check out Polk's new line.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm very happy with my Minis. [​IMG] Great speaker. I was not as impressed with the Polks, but I didn't listen to them in my setup either. I would still lean towards the Minis.

6. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems the mini's get the edge. I thought that would be the case. I guess I was just wondering if the RT35i's would get a 'Definitely Not' from anyone, since it would be much easier for me to get a hold of them.
    TylerZ:
    Yep, I read about the new RTi line. I was thinking I might get a good closeout pice on the older RT35i's...[​IMG] if I'm lucky.
    Mahalo

7. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Nathan_W,

FYI, Circuit City has the RT35i for $149.99/ea on their websight. They had them on sale a couple of weeks ago in the store for $139.99. Go in and see if you can swing a deal.